306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum
THAT DARN WIPER MOTOR - Printable Version

+- 306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: 306 Repairs & Mods (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Forum: Electrics (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: THAT DARN WIPER MOTOR (/showthread.php?tid=33732)

THAT DARN WIPER MOTOR - ROBCAT - 08-04-2016

My car has done 180,000 miles, in 2 years AC (after cambelt) thats 5000 miles. I spend half my time in Russia /Moscow and pay full whack to keep it T-I-M.  When I went off  for the Russian winter eskimo job at end of OCtober all was fine  Get back and wipers are  stuffed Why ?  Seems the space under the motor filled with leaves and blocked the drain hole. So when I used it, it melted the motor.  Now that's an obvious prob in hindsight. We know how tough it is to clean under the motor.  My solution is maybe obvious. A clean solution ?   I replace the space under the motor by fluffing up stainless steel pan scourers and bed the motor down in  it/  I now have drainage and no access for the  leaf mould . I just need to keep the surface  clear. Perhaps  cutting out coarse glass fibre mat is a first defence too if laid over the top. That may save you some hassle  That bans leaves from getting to the drain hole and space at all. Hence my clean solution. They are also  an extremely useful recourse in hot appilication.

RE: THAT DARN WIPER MOTOR - Matt - 09-04-2016

As long as they don't rust out should be all good! Awesome fix! I bloody hate the leaves that get down there!

RE: THAT DARN WIPER MOTOR - ROBCAT - 09-04-2016

No they don't rust. A pack of 6 costs about £1.70 inTesco- Spontex economic +/ To the right of the  box is a water drain shute so you can also put a spontex in that too to catch that drainage in.  Use pliars or proper protective gloves to fluff them up as they are tough and nasty on the fingers. In truth they are swarf .

RE: THAT DARN WIPER MOTOR - Piggy - 09-04-2016

It may not help...but I have never had this issue!?

I spot a few leaves once in a while maybe around the scuttle...and just toss them out

RE: THAT DARN WIPER MOTOR - Toms306 - 09-04-2016

I've seen this happen so many times, it's inevitable if you have to park under trees, had a few motors full of water but never shorted one. I'm not sure I'd be putting scouring pads there though, they aren't rubbing on the main loom are they??

RE: THAT DARN WIPER MOTOR - ROBCAT - 09-04-2016

Valid comment Tom so I will mod it with protection.   It shouldn't rub however.  I used 6 pads. It's all so stretched out.  My motor cosT £8. I took all the arms off so it was just a motor.  The scrappy may have charged me more.  I figure don't buy junk you don't need and why pay for a wiper  mechanism when you only want the motor. You mount it  switched off and no arms.  Once you remount you run it and let it self park. That fixes where your rotating  arm is positioned on spline in line with car body bulkhead member . Straght line to the primary arm . You  add the  reciprocating arms. Run and auto park again. Now you can add the wiper arms. Test  it .  Quite logical.  Remember you need airspace too  so keep it loose for heat exchange That seems not so important however  because they stick a plastic casing over the motor. We live in countyside so have trees. Cedar and deciduous .

RE: THAT DARN WIPER MOTOR - mangler - 06-07-2016

(09-04-2016, 04:01 PM)ROBCAT Wrote: Valid comment Tom  so I will mod it with protection.   It shouldn't rub however.  I used 6 pads. It's all so stretched out.  My motor cosT £8. I took all the arms off so it was just a motor.  The scrappy may have charged me more.  I figure don't buy junk you don't need and why pay for a wiper  mechanism when you only want the motor. You mount it  switched off and no arms.  Once you remount you run it and let it self park. That fixes where your rotating  arm is positioned on spline in line with car body bulkhead member . Straght line to the primary arm . You  add the  reciprocating arms. Run and auto park again. Now you can add the wiper arms. Test  it .  Quite logical.  Remember you need airspace too  so keep it loose for heat exchange That seems not so important however  because they stick a plastic casing over the motor. We live in countyside so have trees. Cedar and deciduous .

Greetings, i have that problem.. i fixed the motor by cleaning it but my wipers go wrong direction :d, I guessed that if its rotating system, i could have assembled it with wrong starting position, so how do i start reassembling.. the linkage should be detached at start? so that only motor is there? or should I mount motor with linkage and then adjust the arms.. 
thanks, my English is quite bad so could you please answer using simple words Big Grin

thanks,
Zura

RE: THAT DARN WIPER MOTOR - ROBCAT - 22-08-2017

I can't answer the question, but I do know how well the  pan scrubbers work. Laid my  pug up a few times and last autumn too and all the pine needles  and leaves were  happily dumped on top. Just took the top layer off and a good shake. Underneath as clean as new so that looks to be a good mod and an end to the story. A fair trial with a seemingly good result in my book and all that gets there is water. I even used them as baffles in my old Honda P50 bike exhaust.

RE: THAT DARN WIPER MOTOR - ROBCAT - 14-12-2017

This is one of the best things that I did. I just checked it all out and the result is no leaves or debris.  Such a stupid idea and it works.

RE: THAT DARN WIPER MOTOR - cully - 14-12-2017

happened to me it killed the motor and flooded the footwell as it seaped throught the large bulkhead plug to

cleaned it all out new motor and re greased all the electrical joints jobs a good un

oh stay away from parking around trees Wink or as i do clear it out regular with an air line

RE: THAT DARN WIPER MOTOR - Eeyore - 15-12-2017

I live pretty much on the edge of a wood so everything gets covered in leaves. I have to clean this out twice a year!

RE: THAT DARN WIPER MOTOR - Mighty306 - 15-12-2017

I poked mine yesterday! Smile