306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum
Volvos pledge - Printable Version

+- 306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: General (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: The Couch (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Volvos pledge (/showthread.php?tid=33200)

Volvos pledge - bashbarnard - 03-02-2016

By 2020, no one will die in our cars, have a google. Genuinely a statement made by Volvo also said if you're an idiot and want to die the car wont stop you. I think this is only a good thing for the market leading with safety however much I like old cars. Thoughts??

RE: Volvos pledge - Toms306 - 03-02-2016

Have you seen the crash test they did with 'auto brakes' and a person? Looks like they'll just be killing more people outside so at least the balance remains the same! lol

RE: Volvos pledge - Ruan - 03-02-2016

The auto brake test is a classic, but go watch the new XC90 rollover, it looks like a kids toy just been thrown on the floor rather than a 2.2t vehicle... Never seen anything look quite as sturdy as that...

Personally don't think it can be done, just every eventuality to be covered... Be interesting to see, from the way some of the latest crash tests are going, wouldn't be surprised..

RE: Volvos pledge - Dum-Dum - 03-02-2016

Just not possible. Volvo might make safe cars but will never account for other peoples poor driving.

RE: Volvos pledge - silverzx - 03-02-2016

Just drive a tank if your that worried.

RE: Volvos pledge - Toms306 - 03-02-2016

(03-02-2016, 09:11 AM)Ruan Wrote: The auto brake test is a classic, but go watch the new XC90 rollover, it looks like a kids toy just been thrown on the floor rather than a 2.2t vehicle... Never seen anything look quite as sturdy as that...

That's certainly impressive!!

RE: Volvos pledge - bashbarnard - 03-02-2016

You say it cant be done the xc90 in America has never had a death. I've seen that crash test its impressive.

RE: Volvos pledge - r3k1355 - 03-02-2016

Sooner or later someone will stuff it into the back of a HGV at motorway speeds.

RE: Volvos pledge - Redordead89 - 03-02-2016

(03-02-2016, 01:55 PM)r3k1355 Wrote: Sooner or later someone will stuff it into the back of a HGV at motorway speeds.

With another HGV following too closely behind! Sad

RE: Volvos pledge - Magenta Sunset - 03-02-2016

if we leave everything to automation, people will lose what (little) skills they have.
and, as a driver & rider this is of some concern (anyone see car-crash Britain?).
also, who will be held responsible in such collisions?

RE: Volvos pledge - Poodle - 04-02-2016

As above, this is just yet another nail in the coffin of thinking drivers. My favourite is the current bmw radio ad: "light can be illuminating, but also dazzling. Our new high beam assist means that headlights are dipped automatically, so you can keep your hands on the wheel and your eyes on the road". Not being funny, but if you can't use the stalk 1 inch away from your finger without looking away from the road and taking a hand off the wheel you should have your f*cking licence removed.

RE: Volvos pledge - bashbarnard - 04-02-2016

(04-02-2016, 07:18 AM)Poodle Wrote: As above, this is just yet another nail in the coffin of thinking drivers. My favourite is the current bmw radio ad: "light can be illuminating, but also dazzling. Our new high beam assist means that headlights are dipped automatically, so you can keep your hands on the wheel and your eyes on the road". Not being funny, but if you can't use the stalk 1 inch away from your finger without looking away from the road and taking a hand off the wheel you should have your f*cking licence removed.

You're talking about bmw drivers. That's the same stalk the indicators are on as far as they're concerned they think its in the boot.

RE: Volvos pledge - Toms306 - 04-02-2016

I rarely use full beams, but when I do often forget to switch them off until it's too late, sounds like a useful feature to me! Tongue lol