306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum
Telling the dvla about a engine/fuel type change - Printable Version

+- 306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: General (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: The Couch (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Telling the dvla about a engine/fuel type change (/showthread.php?tid=32958)

Telling the dvla about a engine/fuel type change - aggyj17 - 05-01-2016

How are the dvla when it comes to changes. I have a 1.8 16v 2002 cabriolet and have put a hdi engine into it for the Mrs and want to swap it over on the logbook so it's 100% legal.

What information do the dvla need to swap it over and what tax band will it fall under? The cheaper band as it's a 2002 or the more expensive tax because it's a conversion?

I know a couple of people have swapped the v5 over so hope you guys can help

RE: Telling the dvla about a engine/fuel type change - bashbarnard - 05-01-2016

Swapping tax band and engine are two different forms. If you are not in trade its always best to get a safe for road letter drafting up from an mot station. Therefore when you send it off they wont ask you for a load of extra. Can all be done on v5c. The tax form is a different form though cant remember which one off top of my head but you need proof of what year the engine came out of as tax will be done on what's older. So if its cheaper tax atm and the hdi came from a 1998 then the tax will go up.

RE: Telling the dvla about a engine/fuel type change - Toms306 - 05-01-2016

You just need to give the engine numbers of both...good luck with that, couldn't find the one on the HDi I swapped lol. It will be on the logbook of the donor if you still have that though.

I'm not sure about the tax though, would've thought it'd be the engines tax, so pre-Y reg HDi about £240 a year (cheaper than the post y reg 1.8 though!).

RE: Telling the dvla about a engine/fuel type change - aggyj17 - 05-01-2016

The engine did come from a v reg so in the more expensive tax band :-( I do still have the logbook but all it says is that it's a diesel Peugeot No model or anything lol. Was thinking about going to a garage to get a engineers report to send away with the v5. are the dvla likely to swap it straight over or can it be fun and games with them

How do you get a logbook with no model lol? Is it a genuine one? lol

RE: Telling the dvla about a engine/fuel type change - darrenjlobb - 05-01-2016

Never had any problems myself...Always send the exact details of both engines, along with receipt of new motor, and have always had the V5 back with details changed in under 2 weeks..

I normally have to get an engineers report for insurance however, so worth having a MOT man look over it either way i guess as wont do any harm including..

Telling the dvla about a engine/fuel type change - aggyj17 - 05-01-2016

I'll send it all off then and see what happens lol.

Maybe it doesn't have any information as it was sent abroad?

[Image: 97477939e23db40afa560d1fc35ff31e.jpg]

[Image: db5d17f2d2fa1d672428358a88dcb6b2.jpg]

First reg being 12/2001 makes it into the cheap tax bracket (03/2001 crossover) so shouldnt have been assigned a V plate. Confused

But yeah, being an import will be the reason for lack of info.

Also, had been wondering who the other Ashley Jones was on facebook. lol Might want to remove your address though.

I've insured the car with brentacre and they didn't ask for any documents regarding engine swap

Haha the "other " Ashley Jones I thought I was the only one on the Peugeot pages lol.

Meh If anyone wants to rob me there more than welcome with all the scrap around here lol

Lol, nah, I'm sure some of the older members will remember Basher/Ash 306. lol

Older members I've been around since the .Net days lol. Just one of the quieter members

You should remember him then. Tongue Put irridium spark plugs in his 1.4 and got 'pinned back in his seat' with the power, amongst other things... lol

That was back in 2010 tbf, he moved on to a nice HDi after that, but now owns a mapped Leon Cupra TDi...

RE: Telling the dvla about a engine/fuel type change - PartyJas - 05-01-2016

I sent a V5 off recently for my Opel Ascona. Engine changed from 1.6 to 2.0. DVLA returned the V5 with a letter asking for an engineers report to confirm the conversion was carried out to the correct standards.
I guess they are tightening up on engine conversions. Just as well i never mentioned the supercharger and the fact the car has 450% more power than it originally left the factory with. hahaha.!

RE: Telling the dvla about a engine/fuel type change - Dum-Dum - 05-01-2016

When I swapped a HDi into a cab I just filled out the log book and sent it off IIRC. No issues atall but it was an ph2 cabby.

RE: Telling the dvla about a engine/fuel type change - aggyj17 - 06-01-2016

Might just send it off and see if I get a logbook back or not then.