306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum
Project Crap - Fix or Break?? - Printable Version

+- 306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Photos and Projects (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=20)
+--- Forum: 306 Projects (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Project Crap - Fix or Break?? (/showthread.php?tid=32250)

Pages: 1 2

Project Crap - Fix or Break?? - Toms306 - 17-10-2015

Morning all,

So I'm not sure how much scrap is these days, but I paid less than a 3 figure sum for a whole car this week... Unfortunately it's a 306. And it's pretty rough... lol I think I should just remove and sell some major parts and scrap the rest, don't see any profit in fixing it, but wanted to see what you guys think?

So, firstly, I bought it as a belt snapper...doesn't look very snapped to me! (Belt cover was presumably ripped off n a hulk moment at the roadside).

[Image: IMAG5082_zpskb0uylqp.jpg]

But it doesn't have any teeth...oops...

[Image: IMAG5083_zpsqazlwltd.jpg]

So, I took some 'general' shots before diagnosing the cause.

Note the leaflet wedged under the intake duct because that rattles lol. Cambelt covers broken, engine cover and mounts broken. Battery dead.

[Image: IMAG5084_zpssyck7avy.jpg]

Front end looks ok, no hockey stick clips and a large football sized shallow dent to bonnet.

[Image: IMAG5085_zps9hiwxwcz.jpg]

Side on was supposed to show the 4 large dents across both doors but rain has covered those. Drivers door also has break in damage hence the black handle.

[Image: IMAG5086_zpsjxtk3dny.jpg]

Rear end not bad, droopy cock exhaust and small scrape on bumper. Spoiler has the usual pitting.

[Image: IMAG5087_zpszt9wyrtp.jpg]

Lower cowling completely missing and a different key for the ignition, definitely been stolen at some point! Note the gearknob and scraped airbag also.

[Image: IMAG5089_zpsuq37iwob.jpg]

Rank LX velour in a DTurbo...

[Image: IMAG5090_zpsd3awe71s.jpg]

Slightly concerning white powder in the back, not sure if asbestos or coke but probably shouldn't be breathing it! Confused (Ok so it's plasterboard dust, but that's pretty boring lol)

[Image: IMAG5092_zps55ls80tx.jpg]

Parcel shelf doesn't fit (no lugs) and has huge holes for speakers

[Image: IMAG5093_zpsepdtmrw2.jpg]

Managed to charge battery enough to get a mileage but it's knackered. Only 152k...less than the Volvo which is in far better condition! lol

[Image: IMAG5103_zpsqmuiixcl.jpg]

Sony headunit...appears to be broken as with everything else, also has 2 remotes in the glovebox...not sure if both are for it.

[Image: IMAG5105_zpsrhp2kjrz.jpg]

Surprisingly the beam looks ok though -

[Image: IMAG5106_zpskqj6diju.jpg]

[Image: IMAG5107_zpsefqnkhge.jpg]

Soooo, onto the diagnosis. Firstly the belt had slipped and worn through the cover, as the seller had explained.

[Image: IMAG5108_zpsnsf82jy6.jpg]

But I was shocked to find the crank pulley still fine and the aux belt on (albeit very crunchy)

[Image: IMAG5094_zpsgwcq2dd5.jpg]

I think you've probably guessed the issue now though... Yes, that...

[Image: IMAG5095_zps9ctsitoi.jpg]

Lots of coolant, so looks like the waterpump seized and stripped the teeth off the belt!! Unfortunately I can't get the damn crank pulley bolt undone but did smash the rest of the belt cover off to prove this, waterpump is definitely f*cked lol.

So what was the damage? One rocker snapped? Two maybe?

[Image: IMAG5097_zpst09owzjj.jpg]

[Image: IMAG5098_zpsxvb47v5z.jpg]

[Image: IMAG5099_zpsrj61hfsw.jpg]

[Image: IMAG5100_zpsr5xomxje.jpg]

[Image: IMAG5101_zpsfivmgyyc.jpg]

[Image: IMAG5102_zpssrs74rsf.jpg]

All 4 of the right hand side ones, damn! Not sure if they're exhaust or inlet but I wasn't expecting that many gone lol, what a mess!

So, question is what to do now? As I can't get the crank pulley off belt replacement would be interesting lol. But with the cost of a belt kit, oil, coolant, rockers plus the interior stuff, then it needs MOT ideally as only got a month left it just doesn't seem worth fixing in time or money to me.

Thinking about ripping off the cyclones, beam, front brakes, gearbox, ECU set, injectors & HP pump, cat, bumpers and lights and then scrapping the rest...

Tom

RE: Project Crap - Fix or Break?? - Frosty - 17-10-2015

Does look like it has had a very hard life, poor car

RE: Project Crap - Fix or Break?? - Toms306 - 17-10-2015

It's had 10 owners lol, does have quite a few receipts with it though tbf! Also, no chassis leg rust! Has rusted on the bulkhead and by the PAS res though, forget that in the OP.

RE: Project Crap - Fix or Break?? - RetroPug - 17-10-2015

I think that given you paid only double digits for it the best option would be, like you said, to just pull off the good, high value parts, sell them and weigh the rest in. You should turn a profit that way I'd have thought. Surely beam + clones + lights + pump is getting close to seeing a return even before you weigh it in.

I think fixing it would be a lot more hassle than it is worth and then you'd struggle to find someone who actually wants something that old, rough and high miles for more than scrap money anyway.

RE: Project Crap - Fix or Break?? - Frosty - 17-10-2015

(17-10-2015, 11:22 AM)RetroPug Wrote: I think that given you paid only double digits for it the best option would be, like you said, to just pull off the good, high value parts, sell them and weigh the rest in. You should turn a profit that way I'd have thought. Surely beam + clones + lights + pump is getting close to seeing a return even before you weigh it in.

I think fixing it would be a lot more hassle than it is worth and then you'd struggle to find someone who actually wants something that old, rough and high miles for more than scrap money anyway.

I agree with this man

RE: Project Crap - Fix or Break?? - daveylennon93 - 17-10-2015

Its a pitty these cars are worth so little in uk that its not worth fixing ones like that up and sellin on.

RE: Project Crap - Fix or Break?? - Herby7 - 17-10-2015

I agree with the others take off what you can get money for and scrap the rest. Its a shame but looks like the car has had a pretty hard life .

Seems pretty unanimous then!! I'll stick a thread up with parts and prices at some point. If anyone wants dibs on anything just PM or FB me in the meantime. Smile

RE: Project Crap - Fix or Break?? - Connor - 17-10-2015

Fix it and export to NI, they pay stupid money for 306s over there

RE: Project Crap - Fix or Break?? - Piggy - 17-10-2015

Floor drain plug please ThumbsUp

Won't be removing carpets I'm afraid, Piggy.

Doh. Mrs piggy kicked one out while on the m4

Fail. lol Is there an easy access one without pulling carpets out?

Lift carpet either footwell side, one at handsreach 6/8inches in from sill

No wuz if not

RE: Project Crap - Fix or Break?? - 306carter - 17-10-2015

Scrap is £25 per tonne up here, don't expect a lot for the shell.

Won't get anything for the shell, never do lol.

RE: Project Crap - Fix or Break?? - 306Dan - 17-10-2015

Don't have to lift the carpet Tom if your scrapping it, Cut the carpet

RE: Project Crap - Fix or Break?? - daveylennon93 - 17-10-2015

(17-10-2015, 08:37 PM)Connor Wrote: Fix it and export to NI, they pay stupid money for 306s over there

Exactly, cars are worth way more over here. If i was workin in england id be bringin dturbos back here every week and tripling my money on them☺ after a good tune and hoon ☺

RE: Project Crap - Fix or Break?? - Matt - 18-10-2015

Jesus that's hard a hard time! Shane it's not 3 door, I'd have loads of stuff of you haha

RE: Project Crap - Fix or Break?? - Toms306 - 18-10-2015

If it was a 3 door I might have put more effort into fixing it tbh lol.

The export costs and registration etc for Ireland/NI are stupidly expensive so I've heard. Otherwise everyone over there would just buy cars here and post them back lol.

It's definitely getting stripped now, probably not until Weds at the earliest though.

RE: Project Crap - Fix or Break?? - procta - 18-10-2015

what is the rear bumper like tom?

Theres a scrape on it, about the size of a crisp packet just above the bumper cut-out unfortunately.

RE: Project Crap - Fix or Break?? - welshpug - 18-10-2015

fix it and sack off the ford p.o.s.

RE: Project Crap - Fix or Break?? - THE_Liam - 18-10-2015

Definitely a breaker that, but a few good parts worth selling. HDi box, 'clones, and good beams are getting worryingly scarce...

RE: Project Crap - Fix or Break?? - cully - 18-10-2015

(18-10-2015, 11:38 AM)welshpug Wrote: fix it and sack off the ford p.o.s.

YEH! someone had to say it Tongue

RE: Project Crap - Fix or Break?? - MY95 - 18-10-2015

You know you want to Tom Tongue None of this dpf shit Tongue

RE: Project Crap - Fix or Break?? - Ben_w - 18-10-2015

Tom,

I'm after several sections of the shell. Cut the bugger up and save my other Rallye!!!

RE: Project Crap - Fix or Break?? - WiNgNuTz - 18-10-2015

Dibs on the front bumper! Big Grin

(18-10-2015, 11:38 AM)welshpug Wrote: fix it and sack off the ford p.o.s.

Lol, after a week in the Volvo it's so nice to be back in something modern! Tongue I get the feeling I won't be getting any more DPF issues anyway. Itwasntme

(18-10-2015, 04:02 PM)Ben_w Wrote: Tom,

I'm after several sections of the shell. Cut the bugger up and save my other Rallye!!!

I only have a dremel or a hacksaw... lol You're welcome to cut up and remove anything you want as the shell is worth nothing to me but it's probably too far for you. Sad

(18-10-2015, 04:35 PM)WiNgNuTz Wrote: Dibs on the front bumper! Big Grin

Front one seems ok so you're in luck there! Smile

RE: Project Crap - Fix or Break?? - insomaniac45 - 18-10-2015

ill have the front left head light, and spot light, indicator stork, and indicator relays, and if you have it the little ashtray the goes in the back of the center console for the rear passengers Smile if you would like to pm me with a price inc delivery to eastleigh, then i am sure we can work something out.

Tony.