306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum
Anyone used 2-stroke oil in a HDI? - Printable Version

+- 306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Engines (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+--- Forum: DW10 HDi section (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Anyone used 2-stroke oil in a HDI? (/showthread.php?tid=30186)

Pages: 1 2 3

Anyone used 2-stroke oil in a HDI? - JTaylor2005 - 22-04-2015

Hi All,

I have heard quite positive things about 2 stroke oil in a HDI engine. As in the other thread about injector clicking.
How many people have tried it? Has anyone ever noticed obvious improvements or does it not do that much?

Jack

RE: Anyone used 2-stroke oil in a HDI? - Paul_13 - 22-04-2015

I've been doing it for a little while. Injectors seem quieter and smoother. I swear I've got more mpg as well from doing it

RE: Anyone used 2-stroke oil in a HDI? - cully - 22-04-2015

as above been running 2-stroke for quit a while now
quietens injectors and pump and also improves MPG

i add 250ml to a full tank of diesel

RE: Anyone used 2-stroke oil in a HDI? - JTaylor2005 - 22-04-2015

Okays lovely, Sounds good to me Smile

I swear there were more replies to this earlier on?

RE: Anyone used 2-stroke oil in a HDI? - Paul_13 - 22-04-2015

There were, I thought I was going mad

RE: Anyone used 2-stroke oil in a HDI? - Toms306 - 22-04-2015

(22-04-2015, 08:49 PM)Paul_13 Wrote: There were, I thought I was going mad

lol

Yeah I'm sure I left some useless drivel in here earlier. Maybe cully accidentally removed half the posts when adding his? lol

Thank god it wasn't just me. Thought I was imagining things. you definitly said about the ford forums highly regarding it.

RE: Anyone used 2-stroke oil in a HDI? - MrBigMac - 22-04-2015

i have used it for 5 years with no problems, runs smoother and burns cleaner

RE: Anyone used 2-stroke oil in a HDI? - Iceman299 - 22-04-2015

So how much of it do you use per tank?

200-300ml of low ash mineral oil

RE: Anyone used 2-stroke oil in a HDI? - Iceman299 - 22-04-2015

(22-04-2015, 09:32 PM)JTaylor2005 Wrote: 200-300ml of low ash mineral oil

That amount in 60litres of diesel can make such a difference? Nice. Will deffo be trying this then

RE: Anyone used 2-stroke oil in a HDI? - THE_Liam - 23-04-2015

I used to use it in XUDs, made a huge difference especially when I was running pure veg oil, but I don't like the idea of doing it in the HDI. The HDI was designed to run on newer diesel without sulphur as a lubricant, so I don't think it needs it. In an older diesel, it makes up for the lack of sulphur.

RE: Anyone used 2-stroke oil in a HDI? - highwayman306 - 23-04-2015

Just been reading about it on berlingoforum, someone posted a link to a thread, enjoy the read. Yamahafan is german and their road testing of vehicles is much more in depth and strict than that of our country's requirements of MOT:

http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic878.html?highlight=two+stoke&start=0

yamahafan is very informative on this topic. Old thread but good read Big Grin

"As I have said, we have to undergo every 2 years a pollution control inspection by our TUV, and the emission values as measured are by far better with use of 2-stroke oil than without. I have not come accross any case in which a car manufacturer has waived its guarantee obligo for cars which have used this 2-stroke oil (off course, not knowing this).
Dismantling the test diesel engines after the 2-stroke oil test has revealed that such engines have been in an extraordinary clean and top condition."

Sounds good to me Big Grin

He also mentioned that the smoke is almost halved using 2 stroke?!?!

"One more information: in Germany we have to present our cars every 2 years to the TUV -Technical Supervision Organisation - who will check, amongs others, the pollution of petrol and diesel engines.
The measured cloud-factor of a diesel engine without use of 2-stroke oil has been 0,95.
The same factor with the use of 2-stroke oil has been 0,47 - reduction of nearly half of the soot particles.
Besides this, the use of 2-stroke oil in the diesel will increase the milage by 3-5%. "

Big Grin

Other have said that the lubricating 2 stroke helps injectors and pumps on the 1.6 hdi...noticeably quieter

RE: Anyone used 2-stroke oil in a HDI? - bashbarnard - 23-04-2015

Well I've just started using it. Just mineral two stroke you buy isn't it? Not synthetic

Zee helpful German says:

"yes, fill in 0,3 litre of 2-stroke oil with every tank filling. You will notice a surprisingly big difference in the smoothness of your engine running, the noise level is reduced, particularely when the engine is cold, and the fuel ecconomy will increase besides the described other advantages.
The 2-stroke oil I can recommend from my own experience (value for price) is the Liqui Moly 2-stoke oil, semi-synthetic, Product no. 1052 (blue plastic bottle). The use of 2-stroke oil is recommended also for diesel engines without DPF. If you "forget" to fill in the little dosis of 2-stroke oil - no problem. Just fill it in the next time. "

Something about sulphur being more lubricating...Big Grin

RE: Anyone used 2-stroke oil in a HDI? - Toms306 - 23-04-2015

I've also read that you should stick to one type, can't remember why now though! Confused

one guy asked or rather 'put to' him
Wildrover:
"I mentioned this idea to my local dealer this morning while there on another issue.
Basically, he says "DON'T".
The engine has numerous sensors, some of them monitoring the fuel pressure, mixture, spray etc etc etc and additives may adversly affect the engine. it might be ok to use the 2-stroke oil on old diesel engines but the F2 is full of electronics.
Like the idea but i'll give it a miss."

Yamaha-fan:
"Wildrover, sorry having to say that, but putting this question to your LR-dealer was not very wise. What do you expect him to say. He has to go according to rules and regulations, and we all know how much non-sense some rules and regulation represent in practical and/or logical terms.
To answer your question: I use the homoeopathic dosis of 2-stroke oil in my Freelander 2 TD4 Automatic from day one (now for some months), and my engine is running fine, and the electronics do not protest. My fuel consumption with automatic is at present 8,8l/100 km, and the burn free process of my DPF (diesel soot filter) takes place at an average of 1.200 to 1.300 km (normally, without 2-stroke oil, this happens around every 600 to 700 km). Nobody can convince me, that this positive effect will do any harm to engine or electronics.
But it is up to everybody to decide,
Landrover recommends the use of Motor Oil for the Freelander 2 according to the Ford Norm 913B. This norm respresents the lowest available oil norm according to ACEA B1/B1 with reduced HTHS value (shearing stability). This norm is absolutly not suitable for the Freelander TD4, and if you want to destroy your engine soon, than you follow this recommendation. Annother example of unwise rules and regulations.
We are all aware that the TD4 engine is a cooperation between Peugeot and Ford, and Peugeot demands motor oil for their TD4 of a much higher quality than Ford. How come?"

TOLD Big Grin

******************************************************************************************************

Also read on and have found the last comment on first page by yamaha-fan VERY, no scratch that, EXTREMELY interesting Wink

RE: Anyone used 2-stroke oil in a HDI? - Iceman299 - 23-04-2015

This should do the job, yes?

http://www.halfords.com/motoring-travel/engine-oils-fluids/engine-oil/hal-2-stroke-garden-engine-oil-500ml

Yes but you can buy a litre bottle for like 5 quid.

RE: Anyone used 2-stroke oil in a HDI? - Mark - 23-04-2015

I got some in Tesco on offer for £3 for a litre but it was several weeks ago now

RE: Anyone used 2-stroke oil in a HDI? - Iceman299 - 23-04-2015

Was going to just check how much it would be on trade. I only put in £20 worth of diesel in at a time so will use about 100ml of the 2 stroke

Im assuming as its not a fuel but an additive you can use stuff not specified for road use?

RE: Anyone used 2-stroke oil in a HDI? - JTaylor2005 - 23-04-2015

I heard that it had to be Mineral oil rather than semi or fully synth as the mineral oil is a lot like just a thicker more lubricating diesel oil. It also burns better as well.

As for mixing them, If you mix mineral with synthetic it can cause a sludge which when used can cause problems with the low pressure pump in the tank.

I just have a bottle of Texaco Motex 2t oil which is what is put in our strimmer. It is fully mineral which is best. However I don't think it's specified as low ash. I can't find much about it.

RE: Anyone used 2-stroke oil in a HDI? - Seb_Ryan - 23-04-2015

I always thought it was just low ash shite..not sure about mineral etc etc mind

RE: Anyone used 2-stroke oil in a HDI? - JTaylor2005 - 23-04-2015

I just head synthetic doesnt burn as well. It would make sense really as mineral is just thicker more lubricating diesel basically. However synthetic is whatever has been concocted to make it work better than mineral

RE: Anyone used 2-stroke oil in a HDI? - highwayman306 - 24-04-2015

I read semi synth, so its not too thick but trial and error innit Wink Ive only read positives about it, I'm thinking of trying it...i wouldn't say my engine is knocky but if its quieter with 2t then its gotta be better Smile i might do a lil recording before and after for posting on here Wink

stay tuned Wink

RE: Anyone used 2-stroke oil in a HDI? - cully - 24-04-2015

2-stroke oil is a mixing oil so thickness shouldn't matter as it mixes with the fuel

RE: Anyone used 2-stroke oil in a HDI? - Poodle - 24-04-2015

From what i've seen about the internet and heard from those running it, low ash is the only essential component, the rest is a matter of opinion/argument.

RE: Anyone used 2-stroke oil in a HDI? - JTaylor2005 - 24-04-2015

Dunno why the ash thing matters that much really. Presume its just to stop dpf's and cats etc clogging up. I just used whatever the stuff in my garage was haha. Gonna see how it goes

RE: Anyone used 2-stroke oil in a HDI? - Iceman299 - 24-04-2015

I'll hold fire until you get back to us with your findings!