306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum
Rattle coming from Throttle Arm (on Bosch) - Printable Version

+- 306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Engines (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+--- Forum: XUD Section (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: Rattle coming from Throttle Arm (on Bosch) (/showthread.php?tid=3001)

Pages: 1 2 3

Rattle coming from Throttle Arm (on Bosch) - silverzx - 24-04-2012

Car hasn't felt right all day so popped the bonnet and noticed the throttle arm was vibrating.

Haven't been able to identify what's causing it, is there a possible nut that could be loose or something?

Re: Rattle coming from Throttle Arm (on Bosch) - darrenjlobb - 24-04-2012

Has the nut on top the throttle arm come loose?

How much up / down play on the arm is there?

If any tighten nut, as it will slip off / loose throttle otherwise!

Re: Rattle coming from Throttle Arm (on Bosch) - silverzx - 24-04-2012

There;s a fair bit of play. Could it of been brought on by having a ground pin fitted?

Or is it just a random thing?

Cheers Darren. Wink

Re: Rattle coming from Throttle Arm (on Bosch) - Toby - 24-04-2012

silverzx Wrote:There;s a fair bit of play. Could it of been brought on by having a ground pin fitted?

Or is it just a random thing?

Cheers Darren. Wink

It wouldn't have occurred whilst fitting an lda pin as that doesn't touch the arm..

It is more likely to have been done during a gov mod (if you have had this done).

Re: Rattle coming from Throttle Arm (on Bosch) - silverzx - 24-04-2012

Toby Wrote:It wouldn't have occurred whilst fitting an lda pin as that doesn't touch the arm..

It is more likely to have been done during a gov mod (if you have had this done).

I had gov mod done over a year ago and it's only just developed today. Thanks for the PM btw. Smile

Re: Rattle coming from Throttle Arm (on Bosch) - silverzx - 25-04-2012

Had a look at this today whilst it was light, didn't have any luck. All the nuts that I could tighten were already tight.

There is half a cm (maybe less) of play up and down where the throttle arm will click up and downward.

The spring can be seen to move as this happens.

Also a little smoke came from the pump area on start up very briefly, may well be down to pure veg perhaps?

But yeah, not really drivable, could anyone advise me on what to do next?

Re: Rattle coming from Throttle Arm (on Bosch) - silverzx - 26-04-2012

Bump. Anyone?

Re: Rattle coming from Throttle Arm (on Bosch) - Toby - 26-04-2012

silverzx Wrote:Had a look at this today whilst it was light, didn't have any luck. All the nuts that I could tighten were already tight.

There is half a cm (maybe less) of play up and down where the throttle arm will click up and downward.

The spring can be seen to move as this happens.

Also a little smoke came from the pump area on start up very briefly, may well be down to pure veg perhaps?

But yeah, not really drivable, could anyone advise me on what to do next?

It could be that a few bolts have come loose, and the whole governor cradle assembly is being allowed to move up and down inside the pump.

What you would need to try and do is 'lift' the throttle arm as high as it's going, then try to hold it there while tightening any bolts you can.

Failing that, perhaps you may need to take the top off the pump and double check everything?

Re: Rattle coming from Throttle Arm (on Bosch) - mark_airey - 26-04-2012

I have a feeling that it shouldn't move up and down once its done up as the nut on top takes up the slack....... Are you sure the throttle arm is correctly sat back in the splines ontop of the shaft?

Re: Rattle coming from Throttle Arm (on Bosch) - ginge191 - 26-04-2012

christ trent.... that is really jumping around!
i can't help but thought i'd just point out, that doesn't look normal

Are all the bracket bolts secure?

ginge191 Wrote:christ trent.... that is really jumping around!
i can't help but thought i'd just point out, that doesn't look normal

Are all the bracket bolts secure?

I know, it doesn't look good!

All the bracket bolts I can see are tight. There seems to be a fair bit of movement from the top engine mount as the engine rocks so it could well be thats buggered.

However that doesn't explain the problem with the throttle arm.

Re: Rattle coming from Throttle Arm (on Bosch) - Dave - 26-04-2012

Fucks sake Trent! your friggin brackets either snapped (que ruan fail), or your bolts have come loose holding the pump backet on! Seriously dont drive that until its sorted!

Re: Rattle coming from Throttle Arm (on Bosch) - 4WayDiablo - 26-04-2012

Crazy. It looks like the actual pump is moving a lot not just the throttle arm. In relation to other components

As said, thats the entire bracket & pump moving not just the throttle arm Confusedhock:

Re: Rattle coming from Throttle Arm (on Bosch) - darrenjlobb - 26-04-2012

Throttle arm is nothing to do with your issue fella,

Looks like yoru plate has broken like Ruans, or the bolts have come out... look behind your pump and wobble it, see if bracket is moving to or what, DONT carry on running it like that though.

Currently only thing holding your pump steady is the injector lines / strain on cambelt, but if you carry on like that you will crack lines / loose the belt and ruin the head...

Ok had a closer look around the pump, on the right of the pump as your looking at it (passenger side) there is a slider with a bolt missing, not sure if that one matters, I don't think it does.

[Image: 76153120.png]

[Image: 93401514.png]

More importantly, one of the nuts on the left bottom side of the pump (near the cam belt cover) is loose, I can only get it finger tight due to none of my tools (socket set and spanners) fitting down in the gap. Is this the cause of the epic vibration of the pump?

3 - Look at the gap!
[Image: 72421002.jpg]

[Image: 47284971.jpg]

What tools best for tightening this without having to remove anything? Socket and spanner won't go down there. Maybe the circle end of a spanner? Also can anyone confirm what size it is? 13mm? 14mm?

That slotted bolt shouldnt be missing, and should be re fitted, and that bottom bolt ideally, altho this is often left missed as can be a farce if you dont have a half spanner..

As silly as it sounds, I dont even think thats your biggest issue, as from the video it looked like the entire bracket was moving, and looking at one of your photos, the bottom bolt seems to be missing from the bracket...

Like i said, grab the top of the pump, adn wobble it, and look down behind, you should be able to see whats moving / whats now...id say bolts have come loose on bracket / fallen out...

darrenjlobb Wrote:That slotted bolt shouldnt be missing, and should be re fitted, and that bottom bolt ideally, altho this is often left missed as can be a farce if you dont have a half spanner..

As silly as it sounds, I dont even think thats your biggest issue, as from the video it looked like the entire bracket was moving, and looking at one of your photos, the bottom bolt seems to be missing from the bracket...

Like i said, grab the top of the pump, adn wobble it, and look down behind, you should be able to see whats moving / whats now...id say bolts have come loose on bracket / fallen out...

When I wobble the pump all the movement is around the slider hole as pictured earlier:

[Image: 76153120.png]

I'm not too sure what bottom bolt your referring to on the bracket? Is it this one?

[Image: 10139886.png]

If so, pretty sure there isn't a hole & thread behind it in the block?

Sorry if I'm missing the point!

The misses is coming down later with her car and I'm going to compare all my missing bolts to her stock setup, then tomorrow will be heading to the scrap yard (in her car) to get whatever I can see missing.

As always thanks for the help. :thumbup:

Sorry yeh i was wrong, thats not the bottom bolt hole, just a hole in the bracket..

So when its running is it just the pump thats moving rather than pump and bracket? might just have been my eye tricking me when i looked at the video...

darrenjlobb Wrote:Sorry yeh i was wrong, thats not the bottom bolt hole, just a hole in the bracket..

So when its running is it just the pump thats moving rather than pump and bracket? might just have been my eye tricking me when i looked at the video...

Pretty sure it's just the pump..?

All the bracket nuts/bolts are tight (at least tighter then finger can turn the awkward ones down the back) except for the one near the bottom of the pump:

This leaves the bolt missing from near the injector lines which is where all the movement seems to be when I wobble the pump.

I'll take a load of photos once I've compared it against my GF's car as then I'll know for certain what's actually missing from my setup. That's the plan at least.

You should double check your brackets not cracked in half, look to the left of that bottom bolt...

Yeh its deffo cracked, can see it clear as day.

Same as Ruans did, due to lack of the right hand bolt...

Trent what happened to the right hand bolt??

I just spotted that Dave.............pump bracket broke, I was going to say that I was sure it was moving where the cam cover is attached in the video.............. that would explain why I guess!

Looks like shortly after this there will be another long winded pump conversion thread too... :roll: Wink

Re: Rattle coming from Throttle Arm (on Bosch) - Dan! - 26-04-2012

Who fitted your pump? lol

Me!

Hence asking what happened to the right hand bolt lol!

Just went out with a pocket mirror and torch. There is definitely a large crack going up the back of the bracket.

I do have my LUCAS bracket in the shed still.

What does everyone think? Use the LUCAS bracket or get a bosch bracket?

As for the right hand bolt, I didn't even realise it had gone missing!

Dave Wrote:Looks like shortly after this there will be another long winded pump conversion thread too... :roll: Wink

I don't think it will be that bad, the other one isn't over yet and that is making me want to cry Tongue