306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum
Any XUD gurus out there? Name this engine! - Printable Version

+- 306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Engines (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+--- Forum: XUD Section (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: Any XUD gurus out there? Name this engine! (/showthread.php?tid=29602)

Any XUD gurus out there? Name this engine! - 089 - 09-03-2015

So.. I'm new to here.. Just recently been bitten by the Derv bug and quickly found myself with 2 5dr 205s, a yellow ex-taxi A/Cd one with an NA 1.9 diesel motor and another pristine one owner with the 1.5 TUD motor. 2 weeks later another white 3dr 205 GTI replica with yet another 1.9 non-turbo XUD in it. Things were looking alarmingly boost-free until I caught wind of a repo'd 306 estate, year 2000, with Bosch pump and everything, which for a low price i could have everything i needed off of it before going to the scrapyard. Obviously the idea of a 2dr 205 happily whistling and boosting about intrigued me Wink... To cut a long story short a fourth car made way into my growing Pug stable, the only problem being when i open the bonnet i find myself baffled by the setup i see.. the rocker cover is not the same as i've been accustomed to see on XUDs, neither is the dipstick surround thingie and an alarmingly high amount of wires for a mechanically controlled non ECU car.. and i found myself thinking it's the semi ecu-controlled Bosch pump setup maybe? Can anyone weigh in on this? Anybody recognize the engine maybe?

following pics off Photobucket.. excuse the mobile-camera resolution..

[Image: 2015-03-07%2012.36.56_zpsdpslfxme.jpg]

a bit better angle maybe..
[Image: 2015-03-07%2012.36.51_zpswzix1vc2.jpg]

the interwarmer was already removed in these pics for better recognisation chances.. please reply soon and thanks for any help!! Smile

RE: Any XUD gurus out there? Name this engine! - welshpug - 09-03-2015

dw8 cam cover what?!

thats a right mishmash of parts there lol

RE: Any XUD gurus out there? Name this engine! - Piggy - 09-03-2015

Dw8 fuel filter too

Its not a semi ecu pump

RE: Any XUD gurus out there? Name this engine! - WiNgNuTz - 09-03-2015

Love that intake. lol

RE: Any XUD gurus out there? Name this engine! - Ruan - 09-03-2015

That's a full DW8 engine with turbo manifolds.

Someone has strapped a turbo and VE pump to a DW8 engine.

Must be great fun to fill up with oil when the intercooler is on.

RE: Any XUD gurus out there? Name this engine! - 089 - 09-03-2015

thnx for the info.. that's a bit of a let down reallySad.. i thought i was part of the XUD family.. guess notSadSad..
anyways.. would it be possible to shoehorn it in the 205? plus gearbox? will it ever reach satisfactory levels with this engine? by satisfactory i mean 150-160bhp with a change of turbo and some pump modification. think it's possible? or should i renew the search for another donor 306?

RE: Any XUD gurus out there? Name this engine! - Eeyore - 09-03-2015

xuds are cheap why not just start with the right engine?

i already bought this thinking the engine side of the problem was sorted.. meh, seems there's more saving up to be done..

at least my father owns a Partner van.. this engine should be a straight swap or at least most of it could be used as spares for his..
the drive shafts are already out, downpipe disconnected, radiator hoses as well, plus some AC condenser stuff is already out.. what remains is the gear linkages and mounts and it's out..

should it be possible to swap over the intake+turbo and the pump to my NA lump or will the standard rods not take it? any guesses?

btw thanks for your help!! the people i've asked locally till now all had had a guess and not one of them managed to get it right soo.. Thanks!!

RE: Any XUD gurus out there? Name this engine! - Ruan - 09-03-2015

Read the top of this forum!!

Quote:DW8
The DW8 is essentially a derivative of the older XUD9 design, an 1868cc engine it is considered a 1.9 litre, although may sometimes be shown as a 1.8 litre to distinguish from the XUD7 and XUD9. It is fitted to 1999> Ph3 Diesel 306s along with many other cars and light commercial vans, namely the Peugeot Partner and Citroen Berlingo. The name would suggest it is part of the DW line of engines that replaced the ageing XUD, although it has more in common with the XUD with it's mechanical rotary Delphi/Lucas pump which is near identical in operation to that of the XUD, it shares more in common with the XUD9 than the DW10/12 engine. The engine does have an "ECU" of sorts, although this computer is purely for it's complex EGR emmissions systems and anti-theft systems, however underneath all of this lurks a very familiar mechanical Indirect Injection engine which is incredibly reliable due to it being based upon 25 years of design and refinement and being reasonably low stress. The engine is rated at 69-72hp, again dependent on year.

But obviously with that pump removed and an old Bosch VE installed Smile

This is an NA engine originally anyway, don't worry about it, it's basically an XUD - you're getting scared over nothing, it's simply an XUD with a plastic cam cover and slightly different bore size.

so you think it will fit the 205? plus gearbox?

RE: Any XUD gurus out there? Name this engine! - welshpug - 09-03-2015

all three mounting points are the same as a 205, you just need a 205 TD downpipe.

i'll just cut off the flange the 306 DP came with and re-weld it to a nice 2.5in stainless one.. got some high grade stainless pipes for cheap from a closing factory i've been itching to use..Wink

thanks again guys!!

RE: Any XUD gurus out there? Name this engine! - xudlingo - 11-03-2015

If that defo is a dw8 engine then you might get engine mount problems I put a xud in to my dw8 van thought be a day job they is so many difference in block 

Back mount stud pattern different
All your gauges might be a problem like temp different resistance crank in different place so no rev counter
What box is it dw8 engine sits in a different angle so engine mounts slightly different angle

Found all this out the hard way

RE: Any XUD gurus out there? Name this engine! - Ruan - 11-03-2015

Depends what car it came out of from memory...

The vans have it mounted at a different angle with a BE4 gearbox, like a 206. The block is different to an XUD in terms of mount holes, but the mounts shouldn't require changing to put the engine in a 205 from memory - the engine bay platform is the same enough.

RE: Any XUD gurus out there? Name this engine! - xudlingo - 11-03-2015

They love making things hard I got to the point I was going to just turbo the dw8 like been done here but surly that would be very strong especially if getting tuned 

Dose a 205 have 2 position on the subframe for rear fork??

Did they never fit be box into 306 ??

RE: Any XUD gurus out there? Name this engine! - 089 - 12-03-2015

If it helps, this is the donor 306 estate the engine and gearbox came from..

[Image: 2015-03-07%2015.57.08_zpssxtyrhlu.jpg]
redneck jackstands ftw! I know I know..never again!!:S
[Image: 2015-03-07%2015.57.28_zpsmyrz9lw1.jpg]

Also, while it's still in my possession, is there anything else i can salvage for the 205? i read somewhere the 306 rear ARB could be made to fit a 205 if mated to 106 endplates.. I don't know if this applies to the 306 estate as well.. any thoughts??

This is the 205 the engine and box were (hopefully ARE) going on..

[Image: 2015-02-10%2012.36.25_zpsskof5trq.jpg]
I have a fresh bonnet and fender for it.. just haven't had the time plus i didn't want to foul them again with the engine going in (and maybe still waiting on an auto bonnet to surface..one can only hope!!)

[Image: 2015-02-10%2012.36.47_zps6ylp4olu.jpg]
Quite like the rims TBH.. a bit small but suits her perfectly don't you think?

[Image: 2015-02-10%2012.36.59_zpshub2scx0.jpg]

[Image: 2015-02-10%2012.37.12_zpswzmkgj1i.jpg]
Some small patches of rust in the usual places but nothing that can't be fixed with some elbow grease.. Wink

This one, on the other hand, has no rust whatsoever, is older than mine, in mint condition both inside and out and belongs to my father. One owner, who sadly passed away and his wife sold it to us for practically nothing.. The usual plastic bumper rash but
my father already has the replacement bumper, just waiting to be put on..
[Image: 2015-01-17%2014.22.11_zpseafpeci9.jpg]
[Image: 2015-01-17%2014.21.47_zpsgzsexgmb.jpg][Image: 2015-01-17%2014.21.20_zps7lkdxkvj.jpg]
Has a TUD5 1.5D NA motor on it.. low license FTW!!..
[Image: 2015-01-17%2014.20.46_zpsoizstcto.jpg]
Still has the original hubcap covers on it!!
[Image: 2015-01-17%2014.20.54_zpsi2yhpop6.jpg]
..And a non-broken, complete, pristine dash in it, which here in Malta is as rare as chicken's teeth because brittle old French
plastic and scorching sun don't go to well together..
[Image: 2015-01-17%2014.21.07_zpsluaj2mzq.jpg]

Sorry for the long post.. got a bit carried away there.. Big GrinBig Grin

RE: Any XUD gurus out there? Name this engine! - Ruan - 12-03-2015

(11-03-2015, 08:03 PM)xudlingo Wrote: They love making things hard I got to the point I was going to just turbo the dw8 like been done here but surly that would be very strong especially if getting tuned 

Dose a 205 have 2 position on the subframe for rear fork??

Did they never fit be box into 306 ??

The two position thing as far as I'm aware is for TU vs XU engines in 306s...

The 306 DOES have a BE box on the XU(D) engine, but only a BE3, not the BE4 used in the 206 and Berlingo/Partner vans. The BE4 is the one that's also compatible with hydraulic clutches and has the mount point that allows it to be fitted at a different angle from memory.

RE: Any XUD gurus out there? Name this engine! - welshpug - 12-03-2015

The 6 speed box is a BE4 hybrid, late 306's will have BE4 internals.

RE: Any XUD gurus out there? Name this engine! - 089 - 12-03-2015

Any bits i can salvage from the 306? anybody got some ideas?

RE: Any XUD gurus out there? Name this engine! - Calpin - 17-03-2015

What's that part of the med like for cars and parts? because menorca is shite!

RE: Any XUD gurus out there? Name this engine! - 089 - 19-03-2015

well actually i always managed to find anything i seriously looked for.. the rest we just fab up out of stainless if we don't find it at the right price on the web Big Grin