306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum
Removing the intake manifold? - Printable Version

+- 306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Engines (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+--- Forum: DW10 HDi section (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Removing the intake manifold? (/showthread.php?tid=29405)

Removing the intake manifold? - JTaylor2005 - 24-02-2015

Right in the next few weeks I will be stripping the intake manifold off the car and replacing with one I have bought off the 110hp model 406.
I will not be putting the elbow on just yet but I will be cleaning it all out and fully removing the egr system and blanking both ends off.
Couple of questions really.

1 - what gaskets will I need to get hold of? Im presuming intake gasket, exhaust gasket, turbo gasket, two egr gaskets one on exhaust blank and one on intake blank?

2 - is there anyway I could clean the intake valves to get all the crappy carbon off safely?

3 - Could I put a tapped hole in the intake manifold for a boost pressure signal to control the turbo and also go to a boost controller later on and also for a boost gauge? Theory being here that having wastegate pressure at the actual intake manifold would be better than getting that pressure just on the exit of the turbo outlet??

What do you guys all think? I wanna do as much as possible in one go really. Cheers
Jack

RE: Removing the intake manifold? - JTaylor2005 - 24-02-2015

Having read into it a bit apparently it help to bring boost on fast. One cars with a throttle plate the down side is that it often causes a huge boost spike as the throttle shuts, But because this car doesn't have one I can't think of a reason not to have one. Also having it up top on the intake manifold would make it very easy to fit a boost controller later on haha.

RE: Removing the intake manifold? - shervo - 24-02-2015

Are you changing just the elbow or the whole manifold? If you're jist doing it to fit a FMIC then onlu the inlet elbpw needs to be changed and therefore only the elbow gasket and egr blank is needed. Most people drill and tap the elbow fpr a boost gauage at the same time.

As for removing the EGR completely I have heard it is difficult with the engine in situ. May be able to do it with the engine of its mounts and rocked forward.

RE: Removing the intake manifold? - JTaylor2005 - 24-02-2015

I am going to change the whole thing. I am trying to keep it off the road as little as possible really so I have got a spare manifold and elbow which I am going to clean out and get all tidied up. I could then tap and fit a wastegate control and boost gauge on the elbow if I wanted as well.

The jist is I want to clean it all out as much as possible as it has been a town car and never really had an "Italian tune up" haha.

I can get the car onto a set of 4 axle stands and take stuff off the botton to get at it from underneath taking off and cleaning up the turbo and also the exhaust manifold as well if I wanted Smile

RE: Removing the intake manifold? - Poodle - 25-02-2015

Keeping the car off the road as little as possible, but removing the manifolds... Hmm lol. The manifolds on these are a right bastard to get out with the engine in place, probably a days worth of work if you're not used to the spannering. Where the ports face the bulkhead you're going to struggle to get in there to clean them too, in all honesty i think you'll make life a lot easier if you just pull the engine out, can fit your stage 2 clutch at the same time. Wink

If you're keeping the standard turbo i'd leave the wg feed where it is, otherwise you'll get a delayed response time and probably boost spikes as a result.

RE: Removing the intake manifold? - Jonny81191 - 25-02-2015

Bear in mind also that you have to remove the exhaust manifold to get the inlet off on these, which is an absolute ballache.. Personally I wouldn't bother, just change the inlet elbow for now or pull the engine out and do a major service, cambelt, clutch, manifold, de-egr etc..

RE: Removing the intake manifold? - JTaylor2005 - 25-02-2015

How can I clean the intake manifold then without taking it off is there a way? Mine is full of crap :/ urm also the egr is blanked one end but I dont like that idea as it puts pressure on the egr pipe

RE: Removing the intake manifold? - Toms306 - 25-02-2015

The crap in the inlet doesn't make as much difference as you'd think. I spent ages cleaning mine and it made no real world difference lol.

Unless its really bad I'd forget about it, just blank the EGR (it won't cause any harm to the pipe) and fit your clean 110 elbow.

RE: Removing the intake manifold? - JTaylor2005 - 25-02-2015

Okie dokie Smile cheers

RE: Removing the intake manifold? - Jonny81191 - 25-02-2015

As tom says, ignore it for now until you're in a position to remove the engine/turbo, then it's just a quick swap over and a new gasket whilst you're doing another job already.

RE: Removing the intake manifold? - JTaylor2005 - 26-02-2015

Being followed by a car this morning. Put my foot down in 3rd. The cloud of smoke was stupid haha :/ really need to sort that out.

RE: Removing the intake manifold? - Poodle - 26-02-2015

So is there another problem? A dirty intake manifold wouldn't cause that...

Must be something haha

RE: Removing the intake manifold? - Toms306 - 26-02-2015

Probably a boost leak by the EGR blank... Tongue

Yeah was smoky before tbf :/ will sort it all out over weekend

RE: Removing the intake manifold? - Toms306 - 26-02-2015

Probably a boost leak at the silicone joiner then...

Nothing wrong with a bit of a coal anyway....as long as it's behind me and I'm not following it haha.

Its just diesel it should be burning and giving me power Tongue

Are you sure it's diesel smoke, not just soot build up in the exhaust from driving gently on the commute, or perhaps burning oil?

Yehh deffo diesel smoke. It may be just a build up. Tbf its probs worth me taking the cat off and smashing it out tbf before I get my proper exhaust.

Mine chucked out soot like a goodun if i'd not ragged it for a bit, that was a twin midbox system, no cat.

Does it suffer for it, or is it just the smoke? Does it keep smoking or do it just the once?

Dunno will have a good check tonight with lights of cars behind me haha