306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum
Rear Silencer and de-cat - Printable Version

+- 306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Engines (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+--- Forum: DW10 HDi section (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Rear Silencer and de-cat (/showthread.php?tid=29119)

Rear Silencer and de-cat - DeeTurbo - 06-02-2015

Has anyone bought the Klarius chrome tipped back box from ECP or a Bosal one?

£21.90 for the Klarius is very cheap.

I'm going to go back to the proper back box instead of a mid box conversion and wanted one with the tip most like the original. 

*Edit
Does anyone know of a better decat then the Hoffmann ones?

RE: Rear Silencer - Poodle - 06-02-2015

Klarius is that cheap for a reason, they look like someone has formed the bends by stamping placing the pipe across two breezeblocks and stamping on it, about 1 in 10 we receive at work will be sent back simply because it doesn't fit, even with some "adjustment". It will sound like an empty box with mdf stapled in for baffles and probably rust out within a year or two. That's assuming a weld doesn't break first or it's even air-tight in the first place.

The bosal stuff is decent quality from what i've seen.

RE: Rear Silencer - Toms306 - 06-02-2015

We bought a Klarius backbox for my sisters Corsa... I think it was worse than the original with a massive rusty hole in it. lol

I have removed several Bosal parts from 306s and they seem to be alright though, usually estate backboxes and centres, not sure if Ive ever had a hatch backbox.

RE: Rear Silencer - DeeTurbo - 06-02-2015

I know about Bosal and them being a better quality but I never heard of Klarius before.

I can't believe how cheap they're knocking out parts for and surprised that ECP don't sell a better quality option. I suppose most 306 owners go for the cheapest options these days.

RE: Rear Silencer - Toms306 - 06-02-2015

Most 306s seem to have the cheap droopy tip with a bumper cut-out these days... Doh

Yep, because most don't care it's just cheap motoring to them.

Does anyone know of a better decat then the Hoffmann ones?

RE: Rear Silencer and de-cat - Toms306 - 07-02-2015

Nope, unless you have a stainless one made but it'll cost a lot more than the Hoffman!

RE: Rear Silencer and de-cat - shervo - 07-02-2015

My full 2.5 stainless system cost £80 custom made and fitted Wink

RE: Rear Silencer and de-cat - DeeTurbo - 07-02-2015

What are they standard again, 2.25?

And are they 2.5 going in to the cat normally?

RE: Rear Silencer and de-cat - Iceman299 - 07-02-2015

I have a chrome tailpipe backbox from ecp along with mid silencer and cat. Backbox was also ~£8 cheaper than the standard downward tailpipe version.  No complaints so far

(07-02-2015, 09:11 AM)shervo Wrote: My full 2.5 stainless system cost £80 custom made and fitted Wink

How did you manage that one??

Rear Silencer and de-cat - Tom85 - 07-02-2015

I found the Klarius box with a chrome tip very noisy whooshy with the turbo, so much so I took it off after as month or so and put an oe one on (rest of the system oe). Might have been a duff one or it just quieten down with age/soot.

RE: Rear Silencer and de-cat - shervo - 07-02-2015

Mates rates at the local exhaust place haha Wink

RE: Rear Silencer and de-cat - Poodle - 07-02-2015

(07-02-2015, 09:59 AM)Tom85 Wrote: I found the Klarius box with a chrome tip very noisy whooshy with the turbo, so much so I took it off after as month or so and put an oe one on (rest of the system oe). Might have been a duff one or it just quieten down with age/soot.

No that's normal lol. 

Fairly sure it's 2.25" all the way through, Dee.

RE: Rear Silencer and de-cat - DeeTurbo - 09-02-2015

If you look at this Hoffman pipe you can see it reduce down a lot at the top near the flange.

[Image: %24(KGrHqJ,!h4E-byvCz4dBPo6QQIegQ~~60_12.JPG]

I'll have to measure the tubing when I next take it off.

The tubing on the original pipe looks a lot wider.
[Image: DSC00793.jpg]
Wish I hadn't chucked it now.

RE: Rear Silencer and de-cat - Poodle - 09-02-2015

I have one that should flow a bit better, but it's not pretty.

RE: Rear Silencer and de-cat - DeeTurbo - 09-02-2015

Any photos?

I'm tempted to stick a cat back on for the low down torque the car has lost.

or is that a myth?

RE: Rear Silencer and de-cat - Poodle - 09-02-2015

My admittedly limited knowledge of physics would imply that it's nonsense, a decat should (and, in my experience, does) aid spool time, not hinder it. Low down torque is lost on naturally aspirated engines without a cat, but that's completely different. I'll see if i can get you a photo, feel free to hassle me by pm as i'm flat out atm and will blatantly forget lol.

RE: Rear Silencer and de-cat - ct-hdi - 13-02-2015

(07-02-2015, 10:10 AM)shervo Wrote: Mates rates at the local exhaust place haha Wink

They don't fancy making another? £100 for one so they get a few extra quid out of it Smile

RE: Rear Silencer and de-cat - shervo - 14-02-2015

I doubt they would to be honest I asked for another mate a while back and they said no

RE: Rear Silencer and de-cat - ct-hdi - 15-02-2015

Damn - it. .. Wanting a decent stainless but don't want to pay lots of pennies cause I won't have car much longer

RE: Rear Silencer and de-cat - Poodle - 15-02-2015

Have a look at the cost of stainless exhaust parts and you'll see why you simply can't get a system for that kind of money.