306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum
Cool Mods for Skint People - Printable Version

+- 306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: General (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: The Couch (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Cool Mods for Skint People (/showthread.php?tid=26396)

Pages: 1 2 3

Cool Mods for Skint People - Eeyore - 31-08-2014

Hi Guys,

Found a thread on the UKMKIV owners club where everyone posted decent cheap mods that they could do to their golfs. Im sure there its lots that we can come up with for 306s which will be great for anyone joining the forum looking for a few cheap quick and easy mods.

Rules are as follows:
  • The mod must be under £50
  • Post the price
  • Post a short description
  • Post a picture (before and after if possible)
  • Part Number if available
  • Include the guide if there is one!
If we can keep it a simple and informative thread, maybe it'll become sticky - so let's spread the knowledge peeps.

Note: Please note that all modifications must be declared to your insurance company. Modifying your car but not declaring the modifications will invalidate your insurance.

Whilst the ideas roll on in im trying to keep this thread tidy by deleting comments. If there is something you want to change in the OP then post and ill read it, edit and delete your comment! Big Grin

RE: Cool Mods for Skint People - Eeyore - 31-08-2014

There are lots of different phases of 306 and there are a few cheap things you can do to bring a phase 1 or 2 in line with the phase 3.

Rear Light Conversion - If you have a phase 1 or 2 and dont mind not keeping it not OEM then the Phase 3 lights look a lot cleaner. They require a bit of rewiring and its often easier to use lexus light looms but it should be possible for under £20. Darren has a guide here. http://www.darrenjlobb.co.uk/home/306-rear-light-conversion

Colour Coded Bumpers - Spray up the black bumper strips to match the colour of the rest of the car. Under £20 of rattle cans should be enough to do the entire car.

Colour Coded Door Handles - Spray the handles up with the rattle cans youve got left over from colour coding the bumpers or buy some new handles and bolt them on. Phase 1 and 2 have the door handles bolted on so should be easy. Phase 3 they are riveted on so are difficult to get off! £8

Side Strips - The phase 1 or 2 black side strips are one of the main things that look the car look dated. Either you can colour code these as above or you can swap them for the Phase 3 items. You should be able to pick up an entire set of p3 strips for under £15. A few extra holes may be needed though!

Rear Boot Lid - The phase 1 and 2 boot lid have a massive rubber seal all the way around the glass along with a black strip along the bottom. The phase 3 doesnt have this and looks a lot cleaner. Its possible to replace the entire boot lid which is a straight fit however you may need to get handy with a bit of rewiring. Some boot lids of higher spec models may come with a gti spoiler too. You should be able to pick up a decent Phase 3 boot lid for way under £30.

Phase 3 Side Skirts - The Phase 3 comes with side skirts. There is a difference between 3 and 5 doors so make sure you get the right ones. £30

Phase 3 Rear Bumper - The Phase 3 rear bumper is a little bit shorter than the Phase 1 and 2 items but it does come colour coded and has an exhaust cutout for your after market exhaust. £30 should see you getting one in decent condition.

before:
[Image: Peugeot_306_rear_20080222.jpg]
after:
[Image: peugeot-306-phase-3-rear.jpg]

Cool Mods for Skint People - Razorback_Rob - 31-08-2014

Team heko wind deflectors

[Image: c49ce67ca6c3775ce52c29b385140c64.jpg]

Around £30 from eBay or team heko website (come in 3 and 5 door) nice little smoked deflectors helps with windscreen wiper run and if you're a smoker it keeps rain from entering while keeping ventilation.

Bosch Aero Flat Wipers

[Image: 48876b38e95650b30cccf6ec28b54053.jpg]

Cheap mod again can get different brand (valeo, bosch etc) mine are bosch as pictured. Pick up the 20" and 22" with traditional clip (sell in halfords or major motor factors at least) at most £30 I paid £20 for the pair.

Xsara Mist jets

[Image: 68600bfe172a7019d618017146060516.jpg]

Upgrade from traditional 306 jets which squirt 2 streams of water at the screen per side. Cost £5-£10. Mists whole screen rather than just a small amount. Traditional 306 ones tend to block easily while these don't. Can be bought at peugeot or citreon dealers, part number: 6438v8. Can also be found on eBay by searching xsara mist jets.

Just a few to start off.

RE: Cool Mods for Skint People - bashbarnard - 31-08-2014

Merdian half leathers from scrap yard. Or gti6 seats. Both can be had for less than £100 if you keep eye out.

[Image: 2912797825_9c42bc964e.jpg]

RE: Cool Mods for Skint People - Piggy - 31-08-2014

^^^^^got mine almost mint inc doorcards for £50

Yellow Fog lights - Take out your foglights and cover them in yellow film. Use a heatgun to help the film take the shape and reduce air bubbles etc. The film is a few pounds from ebay. Some people use paint but film is the way to go! £3

[Image: IMG_20140331_150545_zpsxnztvgzg.jpg]

Bosch pump and turbo tune is free. MBC if you want for £15

Middle to back box exhaust mod....few quid at most for clamps or welding wire

Gti brake upgrade around £40

Lowering rear beam...free if you do it yaself

Crystal headlights £30ish

Black mask headlights. £10 paint or free if paint hanging round

Same goes for colour coding badges

RE: Cool Mods for Skint People - Orta - 31-08-2014

Dewipering. Bung costs £2 on eBay!

Guide Here! http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-192.html

Improve Clutch Feel - Free!

Guide here! http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-11543.html

De EGR for a HDI - £4

you need to get a blank which you can make yourself or buy off ebay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EGR-valve-blanking-plate-Ford-2-0-TDCi-Peugeot-2-0HDi-Citroen-2-0-HDi-Volvo-2-0-/110907922480?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item19d2a09830

Guide here! http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-13047.html

RE: Cool Mods for Skint People - Lolben91 - 31-08-2014

Black mask phase 3 headlights with stalk can be had for around £50

Upper strut brace can be had for £20-£70

Some spoilers can be had for as little as 99p (because i scored one)

There are various aftermarket gear knobs on ebay for sub £20, i went with a #2 blue pool ball

Depending on model and luck a full exhaust can be had for sub £100

GTI-6 front brake set up with master cylinder with disks and pads can be had for £50 (again i scored one) though probably best to get new disks and pads so this ones a maybe

High temperature paint and wire brushes are cheap, and paint can be used on the cam covers and brake callipers

Braided brake lines can be had for around £30 (i got a second hand unused set)

Clear side repeaters around £10

If you put DTM or M3 style wing mirrors on you have a space for some factory fitted tweeters where the manual adjusters were, these mirrors can be had for sub £5 and the tweeters can be had for around £15

Everything should be declared to the insurance company, so youll probably end up having to pay more for the fact youve done that mod

RE: Cool Mods for Skint People - Slam Wagon - 31-08-2014

custom sticker: if your a bit arty or want something unique theres plenty of companys out there that can make custom stickers.
Est.<£10 even up to windscreen size.
[attachment=18717]

Battery Box Lid - Not all of the 306s came with a battery box cover and it helps to tidy up the engine bay. Should be able to find these on ebay or from the dealer but they are difficult to find. £8

Colour Code Engine Bay Lids - If you want to go further than just cleaning your engine bay then you can paint your plastics. Make sure to use plastic primer and wait for the paint to dry otherwise it will end up cracking like in my example below. Again a few rattle cans from halfords. Free if you have some lying around from colour coding otherwise £15

[Image: IMG_20131228_150015_zpsxdyuhgzg.jpg]

RE: Cool Mods for Skint People - Slam Wagon - 31-08-2014

Paint engine bay parts, just the cost of paint £20 should do you a couple of colours.

Vacuum hose can be used for washer jets etc to add some colour £5

[attachment=18718]

retrim roof lining cost of material £10-£20 heat resistant glue £5

[attachment=18719]

[attachment=18720]

Lower the Fan kick in temperature - Some of the engines in the 306 get hot very quickly so its best to get cooling them ASAP. Wire in a resistor and it'll lower the temperature. Pennies

Guide here! http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-15738.html

GTI6 Manifold Conversion - This is a mod for the 1.8 and the xsi engine. Replace the terrible plastic manifold with a better flowing gti6 one. Some say this causes overfueling and causes engine problems but others including myself have had no problems and gain the benefits of a bit more power and awesome sound! Pushing the budget here but if you can find the manifold for under £30 it should all be possible for the £50

Guide here! http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-161.html

[Image: 687c1d76.jpg]

Fogs on High Mod - A great, simple and effective mod. When you put on the high beams the fogs come on as well. Great for flashing people down and improves light on those country lanes. Its wired into a switch so you can turn it off come MOT time! £5

Guide here! http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-143.html

Auto Dimming Rear View Mirror - A rear view mirror out of a Citroen C5 is auto dimming. It gets darker if there is a car behind you so you dont get blinded by glare etc. Make sure you get a bit of loom with it as it makes it much easier to wire and means you can disconnect it if needed! £25

Guide here! http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-1302.html

[Image: IMG_20120410_175120.jpg]

^^^^or from a 406 coupe....307 ones are even better, better size

Boost gauge £25 or less if second hand and a holder is £5 or so

Flocking or colour coding interior bits is easily under £50

Second hand aftermarket wheel and boss could be had for £50

Quickshift £20-50 depending on make/new or old

Solid gear linkages £30ish

Ive forgot the exact details of what you do but the moving of wires or whatever you do to use a/c button to override and turn on high speed engine fans. If someone would write it up here.

(31-08-2014, 05:34 PM)SRowell Wrote: Battery Box Lid - Not all of the 306s came with a battery box cover and it helps to tidy up the engine bay. Should be able to find these on ebay or from the dealer but they are difficult to find. £8

Colour Code Engine Bay Lids - If you want to go further than just cleaning your engine bay then you can paint your plastics. Make sure to use plastic primer and wait for the paint to dry otherwise it will end up cracking like in my example below. Again a few rattle cans from halfords. Free if you have some lying around from colour coding otherwise £15

[Image: IMG_20131228_150015_zpsxdyuhgzg.jpg]

Also the extra boot trim that only seemed to come on gti models!

Oh and if you have a low spec without electric windows or with only electric windows in the front (5 door) or with manual mirrors instead of electric you can add them by finding the relevant doors and control units. The door loom connectors are ready to accept electric windows and mirrors. I know for the rears you can buy doors from scrapyard for £25 each and the centre console up/down controls £5 and the button by your right knee in the drivers seat £2 add in the relevant fuse and voila. Easy rear electric window upgrade.

If need full all electric windows add the front doors and relevant fuses (again £25 a door from scrapyard)

Electric mirrors work the same way if you find complete doors with electric mirrors and windows then pop them on (obviously along with the mirror control/window drivers control). Plug in the door loom and pop in fuses.

Luckily peugeot made the plugs on the door shuts complete to accept any variety.

Also if you can find heated seats for under £100 (possible if you can find in a barn or get a bargain from Europe (I know someone who got some from Sweden and his friend an international lorry driver picked up) I've been told the plug is waiting under the seat and then with the buttons that go where the rear electric window controls go and the right fuses and away you go Smile

RE: Cool Mods for Skint People - RetroPug - 31-08-2014

Do you know which the correct fuses are for the heated seats?
If so, that information would be very much appreciated as I'm gathering bits for a conversion using OEM wiring and switches.

(31-08-2014, 09:18 PM)RetroPug Wrote: Do you know which the correct fuses are for the heated seats?
If so, that information would be very much appreciated as I'm gathering bits for a conversion using OEM wiring and switches.

I have a bookmarked list of fuse locations saved on my laptop back home I'll take a look at fuse location and amperage for you when I'm home Smile

RE: Cool Mods for Skint People - John1.4 - 01-09-2014

reversing sensors - can be had for less than £15 like these that i have
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Rear-Reversing-Reverse-Parking-LED-Displayer-4-Sensor-Kit-Audio-Buzzer-Alarm-/120855522291?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item1c238cebf3
actually quite good quality, comes with everything you'd need, only extra i added was some solder / iron and shrinkwrap, a lot may think it's for oldies, but it does work, and brought my insurance down by £70 so Smile

RE: Cool Mods for Skint People - ginge191 - 01-09-2014

I love this thread; but can't help but think it may be worth adding a type of Haynes style difficulty rating for the mods. Ie, dewipering a 1/5, and torsion bar lowering 4/5, merely to help potential new and fresh members Smile

RE: Cool Mods for Skint People - Piggy - 01-09-2014

Difficulty rating isnt bad idea....but for some anything is 5/5 and for others everything is 0/5!!

RE: Cool Mods for Skint People - r3k1355 - 01-09-2014

Fit a set of Osram Nightbreakers, bout 20 quid or so for the bulbs - massive improvement over the stock headlights!

RE: Cool Mods for Skint People - Grant - 01-09-2014

Hydraulic clutch conversion, cost £40 in total. Lots of fabricating to do, so plenty of fun Smile

[Image: 209BBDC5-67DF-451B-A432-461A9434F469_zpsjt59mwt7.jpg]

[Image: BC9E2E0E-8918-43C8-A936-BB3BB5796BCB_zpsrd42fma9.jpg]

Solid upper strut brace: Cost- £17.50

[Image: C32E8BAE-712B-4DDD-B2B5-47DB6AC58A73_zpspbrtfdxz.jpg]

[Image: image_zpsafcfdba4.jpg]

Excuse the pidgin shit welding, was an old welder lol

Chock the upper engine mount: Cost - £2 if that.

[Image: 46B62639-3C2B-462D-9205-191C81577876_zpshdre705i.jpg]

Golf Mk3 arches: Cost - £25

[Image: DSC_0022_zpsda4adff1.jpg]

Cool Mods for Skint People - Razorback_Rob - 01-09-2014

(31-08-2014, 09:18 PM)RetroPug Wrote: Do you know which the correct fuses are for the heated seats?

Just had a look. Under steering wheel fuse box. Fuse #20. 30amp. Smile

RE: Cool Mods for Skint People - RetroPug - 01-09-2014

(01-09-2014, 09:50 AM)Razorback_Rob Wrote:

Just had a look. Under steering wheel fuse box. Fuse #20. 30amp. Smile

Much appreciated!
Thank you.

RE: Cool Mods for Skint People - cully - 01-09-2014

solid rear beam mounts next to free using old mounts some scrap steel plate
some paint to tart them up

or £30 for lazer cut plates from Jimmyboy from the GTi6 forum
£10 for some paint
£5 for welding consumables

[attachment=18755]