306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum
New Rules - Printable Version

+- 306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: General (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: The Couch (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: New Rules (/showthread.php?tid=26014)

Pages: 1 2 3

New Rules - PartyJas - 18-08-2014

Firstly this is not a moan just more out of frustration.. I am one of the members in the twighlight zone between 20 and 100 posts. i fully understand the reasoning behind the post limit being raised to 100 but as i have just realised it prevents me from being able to purchase parts from the for sale section as i can neither reply to the thread or PM the seller.

Is there a way around this other than highjacking an unrelated thread from the seller to ask about the parts.? I don't want to do this as its creating spam.

Niall did mention on a previous thread about this subject that he may be able to review and upgrade some accounts, however i cant send him a PM to ask Doh

RE: New Rules - Dum-Dum - 18-08-2014

LOL, I really do think they could do with editing the rule so you can PM admins and mods.

RE: New Rules - Niall - 18-08-2014

Sorry my bad!
I will sort out your account when I'm home later on

RE: New Rules - j77hrn - 18-08-2014

Awww ? it took me ages to get to my 20 posts. Isn't 100 a little high? I've been a member for nearly 5 months and this is just my 40th post.

RE: New Rules - PartyJas - 18-08-2014

Thanks Niall.

RE: New Rules - Dum-Dum - 18-08-2014

(18-08-2014, 12:49 PM)j77hrn Wrote: Awww ? it took me ages to get to my 20 posts. Isn't 100 a little high? I've been a member for nearly 5 months and this is just my 40th post.

I'd assume that as you have been a member for months they will let you have the privileges if you've contributed to the community and they aint had any complaints.

RE: New Rules - j77hrn - 18-08-2014

Yay. I'm glad it didnt happen a week ago as I had a wanted ad up and thankfully I was able to pm someone and buy their intercooler Big Grin
I just like spending my time trawling through threads and reading about things as opposed to commenting on everything with useless 'advice'

RE: New Rules - calibra306 - 19-08-2014

Ive been a member since 12/12/2012 and I rarely do anything other then buy stuff and pm people so has inconvienced me a little. Any help my way?

RE: New Rules - j77hrn - 19-08-2014

I can't pm to ask about changing my privileges...

RE: New Rules - PartyJas - 19-08-2014

Did you forget about me Niall? Tongue

RE: New Rules - THE_Liam - 19-08-2014

To be fair guys it really isn't that hard to get to 100 posts without spamming everything. Have a look in the couch, plenty of random chat threads there, go round the mechanical forums, I'm sure there's some advice you can give that could help someone out. When I'm buying stuff myself I look at how many posts someone has, and I'm way more likely to buy from someone with a lot of posts that I've actually spoken to, rather than someone who only makes 22 posts a year and doesn't contribute to the community.

I agree and i do exactly what you have said but without some element of spam it does take time to get to 100 posts. I browse here every day and reply to posts wherever its relevant. There is a post in the for sale section for something i need but by the time i get to 100 posts it will have gone.

RE: New Rules - Dum-Dum - 19-08-2014

I'd of thought an admin could just reset your post count to 100, surely the easiest way and not everyone can average piggy levels of posting lol

I think that's what Niall intends to do Dum-Dum.

RE: New Rules - bigcheez2k3 - 19-08-2014

He was at Ace Cafe last night so probably didn't have time.

RE: New Rules - akuma406 - 20-08-2014

Hi Niall, I would like to ask you to review my case, I'm not interested in selling or buying anything, because I'm from Spain, but if you use private more message to talk with colleagues, because they are not English and the translator is very bad, and i do not want to mess the post. . .
You can see that participate, and no more by language problems, as many you win nobody understands my answers.
Also I have my post my projector xud11 Smile
Thank you

RE: New Rules - nominous - 21-08-2014

IMHO I think 100 is a tad high.
I admin a couple of forums and they don't have such limits. I personally don't see the benefits of limiting post counts to PM's.
It could be worse tho...
I was a member of a forum for about 5 years and posted around 150, then they put the limit up to 250 for PM's.
Cue subtle spamming.

And that's the problem.
If you need to raise a post count, tis' easy to do it with some subtle yet helpful spamming.
So what's the point ?

RE: New Rules - THE_Liam - 21-08-2014

We've long said that anyone spamming to up their post count will have posts removed, the idea is to stop people signing up to sell without contributing anything meaningful to the forum, and scammers who just want to sell something dodgy and disappear.

At the end of the day, if people don't want to put anything in, why should we provide free advertising? If people don't want to be part of a social forun they can go buy and sell on ebay and pay for the privilege.

RE: New Rules - nominous - 21-08-2014

Oh I get why you're doing it, been in similar situations.
People just joining to sell. Typically we've just binned their posts. No explanation.
They soon get the hint that it's not for free advertising.

I think this might be why the guy I tried to PM about something be bought from me bounced.
Will it say inbox full ? - as effectively his inbox size is zero.

RE: New Rules - Ican - 21-08-2014

Yep thats me. Undecided I cant pm you back or post to the sale section at my rate of posting it will probably take me 4 years to get 100!

RE: New Rules - Toms306 - 21-08-2014

(19-08-2014, 02:02 PM)THE_Liam Wrote: When I'm buying stuff myself I look at how many posts someone has, and I'm way more likely to buy from someone with a lot of posts that I've actually spoken to, rather than someone who only makes 22 posts a year and doesn't contribute to the community.

This is exactly why the extra post count doesn't seem useful to me.

Most of us have common sense (though in varying amounts of course! lol ) and aren't likely to buy from someone with very few posts that lives in South Africa and has 12 Bosch pumps for sale with only one picture.

I don't see why the forum should take responsibility for peoples lack of common sense if they're willing to buy from that person. So all it now does is inconvenience the genuine people and create more work for the Admin to be changing privileges individually. Confused

RE: New Rules - Jonny81191 - 21-08-2014

(19-08-2014, 02:38 PM)PartyJas Wrote: I agree and i do exactly what you have said but without some element of spam it does take time to get to 100 posts. I browse here every day and reply to posts wherever its relevant. There is a post in the for sale section for something i need but by the time i get to 100 posts it will have gone.

Spam away, as long as it's pointless banter, than you'll get away with it Tongue

Re: RE: New Rules - THE_Liam - 21-08-2014

(21-08-2014, 05:16 PM)Jonny81191 Wrote:
(19-08-2014, 02:38 PM)PartyJas Wrote: I agree and i do exactly what you have said but without some element of spam it does take time to get to 100 posts. I browse here every day and reply to posts wherever its relevant. There is a post in the for sale section for something i need but by the time i get to 100 posts it will have gone.

Spam away, as long as it's pointless banter, than you'll get away with it Tongue
You know, that's fine, banter is good, its part of the community spirit.

RE: New Rules - Jonny81191 - 21-08-2014

(21-08-2014, 05:49 PM)THE_Liam Wrote:
(21-08-2014, 05:16 PM)Jonny81191 Wrote:

You know, that's fine, banter is good, its part of the community spirit.

Presactly my point Tongue

And there's my 4,336th post lol

RE: New Rules - Niall - 21-08-2014

4,336? How cute :p

We don't mind banter and having a laugh at all. Its just the threads where people try and bump up their post count by putting one word per post in a sentence.

Re: RE: New Rules - THE_Liam - 21-08-2014

(21-08-2014, 05:57 PM)Niall Wrote: 4,336? How cute :p

We don't mind banter and having a laugh at all. Its just the threads where people try and bump up their post count by putting one word per post in a sentence.
Yeah, that cynical crap will not be tolerated.

RE: New Rules - PartyJas - 22-08-2014

Duly noted. I shall up my random banter levels.

RE: New Rules - calibra306 - 22-08-2014

Ditto peeps

RE: New Rules - Jonny81191 - 22-08-2014

That was kinda my point, I don't spam all that much, yet I've still averaged 4.39 posts per day over 1 Month, 2 Weeks, 5 Days, 11 Hours, 50 Minutes, 7 Seconds...

RE: New Rules - Toms306 - 22-08-2014

(22-08-2014, 06:25 PM)Jonny81191 Wrote:

That was kinda my point, I don't spam all that much, yet I've still averaged 4.39 posts per day over 1 Month, 2 Weeks, 5 Days, 11 Hours, 50 Minutes, 7 Seconds...

Just made me check my forum stats... Speechless

I've spent 6 months online, that's 20% of my life since joining the forum. I really need to get out more! Confused