306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum
the 205 Gentry !? - Printable Version

+- 306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: General (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: The Couch (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: the 205 Gentry !? (/showthread.php?tid=25941)

the 205 Gentry !? - Piggy - 14-08-2014

Anyone heard or seen this model?

Its an old lady who has owned it from new, a customer of mine.

Shame about the R/N/S wing bump/rust. Mint other than that

Only 300 made, 1.9 detuned engine (105bhp) on a auto box, ABS, PAS, real wood trim and full leather seats!

[attachment=18404]
[attachment=18405]
[attachment=18406]

She didnt wana sell it! Sad

RE: the 205 Gentry !? - 1616six - 14-08-2014

Yep, 306 gentry too.

That's worth about 2 - 2.5 grand you know.

RE: the 205 Gentry !? - Toms306 - 14-08-2014

Hmm, I do like that tbh!! Even if it is as old as me lol.

Reckon that'd be worth a fair amount if she did want to sell it!

RE: the 205 Gentry !? - Piggy - 14-08-2014

I had better keep cleaning her windows!!!

RE: the 205 Gentry !? - procta - 14-08-2014

rare classic model, I wouldn't mod it if I bought it, reason I modded a rare model as due to the fact it was already trifled with, the new one isn't all that rare bar the interior.

RE: the 205 Gentry !? - powerandtorque - 14-08-2014

The Sorrento Green ones with black leather are nicer IMO.

They don't actually seem to fetch much money, certainly compared to GTi's - friend of mine picked up a tidy one in the same Aztec Gold as above for about £600 last year with T&T to give you some idea. He only bought it for the interior and low compression engine for his Turbo Technics Dimma and the rest of the Gentry will get weighed in I imagine.

Miles has a GTi spec and manualised one he's selling that's had loads of refurb work and is the more desirable Sorrento and black leather version - and even that's only up for £1500. Bloody bargain in my eyes considering what ropey GTi's are selling for these days.

Good basis for a build though, as typically they've seen less abuse than GTi's and it's not difficult to retro-fit a manual box and GTi spec engine (or a 'valver)

RE: the 205 Gentry !? - Toms306 - 14-08-2014

That does seem cheap tbh. Just write an ebay ad with 'rare' several times in it, that instantly quadrouples the asking price... lol

(14-08-2014, 04:40 PM)powerandtorque Wrote: The Sorrento Green ones with black leather are nicer IMO.

They don't actually seem to fetch much money, certainly compared to GTi's - friend of mine picked up a tidy one in the same Aztec Gold as above for about £600 last year with T&T to give you some idea. He only bought it for the interior and low compression engine for his Turbo Technics Dimma and the rest of the Gentry will get weighed in I imagine.

Miles has a GTi spec and manualised one he's selling that's had loads of refurb work and is the more desirable Sorrento and black leather version - and even that's only up for £1500. Bloody bargain in my eyes considering what ropey GTi's are selling for these days.

Good basis for a build though, as typically they've seen less abuse than GTi's and it's not difficult to retro-fit a manual box and GTi spec engine (or a 'valver)

I d have thought that the non gti models would be used to reshell f*cked gtis, say the shell your mate has, id have thought that could be sold on for a track car or to re body a gti.
The metro scene is different, 1500 quid gets you a factory condition one, 2.5k + your talking mg metro turbo mk1,
400 to 1000 quid gets you a decent metro, mine was going for 400, but no one would take it, ( sign to me that is was going to be mine) price went down to 300 and I said 275. We both know that it was worth 400, he needed a quick sale, and I needed a replacement body.
mind the last few years, since I came back to metro ownership, the prices have jumped right up in price!

RE: the 205 Gentry !? - powerandtorque - 14-08-2014

The shell is different on GTi/Gentry/STDT models though compared to base models, mainly the arches and a few other small differences like front subframe mounts, front brake like mounts etc.

You can do it of course, but to do it properly is a fair bit of work as the rear arches need completely reworking not just cutting out.

Obviously if you don't want it to look like a GTi and you don't want to run larger wheels on a lowered car then a '88-onwards base model shell is fine (pre-88 non-XU/XUD used a different top engine mount thanks to the old Simca engine) and just swap the various parts over. Quite involved though as there's a lot of differences that aren't immediately apparent at a glance, from wiring to brake lines to fuel tank and more.

RE: the 205 Gentry !? - NOSE - 14-08-2014

Never even heard of the 'Gentry' in 205 or 306 form to be honest, and I've been into cars all my life! - must try harder lol

(14-08-2014, 05:46 PM)powerandtorque Wrote: The shell is different on GTi/Gentry/STDT models though compared to base models, mainly the arches and a few other small differences like front subframe mounts, front brake like mounts etc.

You can do it of course, but to do it properly is a fair bit of work as the rear arches need completely reworking not just cutting out.

Obviously if you don't want it to look like a GTi and you don't want to run larger wheels on a lowered car then a '88-onwards base model shell is fine (pre-88 non-XU/XUD used a different top engine mount thanks to the old Simca engine) and just swap the various parts over. Quite involved though as there's a lot of differences that aren't immediately apparent at a glance, from wiring to brake lines to fuel tank and more.

now that i didn't know! i thought the 205 was the same just with added extras! i didn't realise they were different. With the rover metro, and the rover metro gti, it was a case of bolt on parts, with a bit of welding. The welding was the front shock mount plates, ( metro gtis had them standard) so you would weld these into the rover metro. The rest of the kit was bolt on, after you painted the kit in your colour.
converting a Carb one to injection is a bit more tricky, as you had to rob an injection model for the full works and transfer it over, That included the engine and car electrics.

RE: the 205 Gentry !? - ozonehostile - 14-08-2014

There's a chap been driving a green gentry around hereford for quite some time now. I always thought he had retrofitted the wheels, but by the looks of it they came standard with 405 glx wheels, always missing the centers haha

RE: the 205 Gentry !? - THE_Liam - 14-08-2014

Nearly bought a Gentry a few years back - only thing that put me off was the awful gearbox. Genuinely the worst auto I've ever driven, jerky, too low geared, slow to kick down and would not let you go over 4.5k even on kickdown. Terrible.

RE: the 205 Gentry !? - miles - 14-08-2014

Sounds like a knacked box, they work OK nothing great but it's a ZF item which tend to let go around 80k like most Auto box's do

It wasn't a ltd ed so exact numbers will never be know much like the 405 Lemans.

Aztec gold with matching interior is just horrid, Why they didn;t use a dark interior who know's

It's not wood, Just plastic

Suspension is more soft over the GTi with thinner Torsion bars and ARB at the back.

RE: the 205 Gentry !? - 1616six - 14-08-2014

Just noticed the awesome plate (coming from a Yid) Smile

RE: the 205 Gentry !? - Piggy - 15-08-2014

(14-08-2014, 09:33 PM)miles Wrote: Sounds like a knacked box, they work OK nothing great but it's a ZF item which tend to let go around 80k like most Auto box's do

It wasn't a ltd ed so exact numbers will never be know much like the 405 Lemans.

Aztec gold with matching interior is just horrid, Why they didn;t use a dark interior who know's

It's not wood, Just plastic

Suspension is more soft over the GTi with thinner Torsion bars and ARB at the back.

It is definitely ltd edt, she said 500... After lots of research it looks like the french did only make 300.

And it is real wood...I assumed fake, but it is real, there was some damage to passsnger side bit I spotted when she showed me round it and its defo wood.

Yeah different beam/springs plus front geometry and suspension setup isnt gti either

RE: the 205 Gentry !? - Alan_M - 15-08-2014

(14-08-2014, 04:40 PM)powerandtorque Wrote: The Sorrento Green ones with black leather are nicer IMO.

Not Sorrento with beige velour then?

Peugeot made them in limited numbers, but they're not an official limited edition like the full leather Miami, Sorrento GTi and GTi 1FM models.