306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum
Technical issue - Printable Version

+- 306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Engines (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+--- Forum: XUD Section (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: Technical issue (/showthread.php?tid=23230)

Technical issue - bashbarnard - 14-04-2014

When driving pug at lower revs it will bog down then feel like it's not pulling. Then all at once the turbo boosts up at it goes. I've never had one big down before the turbo kicks in. Btw it's on lucas atm but I want to upgrade to bosch for running veg in the future

RE: Technical issue - Tom - 14-04-2014

Blocked fuel filter?

RE: Technical issue - bashbarnard - 14-04-2014

Had a new fuel filter 2000 miles ago so probably worth a check to be fair. I'll whip it off tomorrow

RE: Technical issue - Tom - 14-04-2014

Do you have a boost gauge? Whats going on with smoke when this is happening?

RE: Technical issue - Ruan - 14-04-2014

Does it smoke like a Bastard when it doesn't get going??

RE: Technical issue - bashbarnard - 14-04-2014

Yeah smokes like a bugger before it gets going and yes I've got a boost gauge, it gets stuck at about .4 bar of boost before this happens.

Before it doesn't get going I mean. When it works its fine

RE: Technical issue - Ruan - 14-04-2014

Sounds like poor pump setup to me...

When you mash your foot on the loud pedal, you're injecting too much diesel for the quantity of air going in since the turbo hasn't spun up yet... It essentially damps the combustion and cools it, then eventually there's just enough air to overcome it and finally the turbo gets going and it's then a runaway of it finally having the air available and being able to combust more fuel, so the temperature and exhaust gas velocity goes up and turbo spins harder.

It can be sometimes down to a blocked air filter, engines struggling for air before the turbo really gets going. Fuel filter sometimes also, but usually it performs badly all the time.

See if it's any better just feeding the throttle in slower, rather than suddenly shoving your foot in, put it in slowly and as the power increases, feed it in more...

RE: Technical issue - Mattcheese31 - 14-04-2014

(14-04-2014, 08:12 PM)Ruan Wrote: Sounds like poor pump setup to me...

When you mash your foot on the loud pedal, you're injecting too much diesel for the quantity of air going in since the turbo hasn't spun up yet... It essentially damps the combustion and cools it, then eventually there's just enough air to overcome it and finally the turbo gets going and it's then a runaway of it finally having the air available and being able to combust more fuel, so the temperature and exhaust gas velocity goes up and turbo spins harder.

It can be sometimes down to a blocked air filter, engines struggling for air before the turbo really gets going. Fuel filter sometimes also, but usually it performs badly all the time.

See if it's any better just feeding the throttle in slower, rather than suddenly shoving your foot in, put it in slowly and as the power increases, feed it in more...

what he said^^^^^ .. . . . .you can't just mash your foot to the floor . .Smile

RE: Technical issue - bashbarnard - 15-04-2014

It thought exactly the same thing but that's when it happens most is slower throttle depressing. Say traffic driving. If I mash my foot through the floor it never does it. It's done it since I've had the car. Fueling is now turned up a little and I wound boost compensator in until there was no smoke off boost as well. Same symptoms before pump tune and after. Sad

Ps just had a thought as my brains not quite in gear yet as it's two in then morning. When I mash my foot it would spool up turbo quicker causing it not to do it? When I do it slowly (when the problem occurs) the turbo doesn't spool up as well. When I fitted my boost gauge as well my intercooler was a little more oily than I would've liked to be honest. I'm wondering if turbos on way out as well. No idea what turbo I have though.

RE: Technical issue - Ruan - 15-04-2014

Blocked air filter then I reckon.

These aren't the signs of a failing turbo...

RE: Technical issue - willJspears - 15-04-2014

(15-04-2014, 03:14 PM)Ruan Wrote: Blocked air filter then I reckon.

These aren't the signs of a failing turbo...

^^^^what he said. if turbo was on its way out i wouldnt under-perform as such iirc. deffo check airfilter

RE: Technical issue - bashbarnard - 15-04-2014

I tried some progressive throttling today and it works a little better so I might be made to eat my words.................

So I feel stupid.
Any idea how to adjust the fuel down before it hits boost on lucas. I've got the boost compensator almost all the way in Fueling had been adjusted but no smoke on boost