306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum
Xud starting problems, pump!! - Printable Version

+- 306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Engines (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+--- Forum: XUD Section (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: Xud starting problems, pump!! (/showthread.php?tid=22241)

Xud starting problems, pump!! - dave205 - 16-03-2014

Ok guys just got round to the stage of starting up my xud 205 conversion
So it's an xud9 with a Bosch pump, put fuel in the tank primed he system and turned the car over a fuel times with out the heating could to bleed the system then tightened up the fuel lines ready to properly start up!

So the big start up!

Turned the key for it to start up as normal bit noisy and smoky to start as expected with an engine out job, so the engine ran ok for about 10 seconds took a tiny bit of revs then died , we then tried again and either will start run for about 5 seconds get really lumpy and loads of smoke then die.

So I checked the timing just for piece of mind checked the primer was facing the right way haha and checked all air intakes were clear, then bleed the system again and the same thing keeps happening, so tonight me and the old man tried this.

We used a little bottle for a fuel tank onto the primer then onto the pump and we were going to collect the spare fuel out the return into a valve, we did this to eliminate the other fuel line and then this will tell us if the problem is in the fuel systems (air leak) or in the pump.

Except the funny thing is although it's taking fuel In as normal there is no fuel coming out the fuel return line out the pump, and there is loads of smoke, again the engine will start good and run for a short time the get lumpy and cut out, is it getting too much fuel and why? And why isn't there any fuel out the return line? Is there perhaps something with in the pump that is stuck? Any help would be good thanks

RE: Xud starting problems, pump!! - Jimbo - 16-03-2014

Sounds like the vane pump is siezed mate

RE: Xud starting problems, pump!! - Tom - 16-03-2014

Vaaaaaaaaaaaaane puuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuump. Oh bother is what you shall say.

RE: Xud starting problems, pump!! - randomcaller - 16-03-2014

I had a similar problem after completing my conversion although it wouldn't run for long. Turns out my mate plumbed in the fuel in and return lines the wrong way round. I was convinced he had so swapped them, primed the pump and she fired back up. I could see loads of air in the line from the fuel filter housing going to the pump too.

RE: Xud starting problems, pump!! - dave205 - 17-03-2014

If it's the vane pump is this accessible ? Can I free it up? or are we talking a new pump? The pump hasn't left the engine whilst it has been lying?! So bloody annoying

RE: Xud starting problems, pump!! - Tom - 17-03-2014

If they sit dry they seize up. No its right down in the testes of the pump (not technical terminology)

[Image: IMG_20140110_203454_zps4zzet2y3.jpg]

Vane pump. You can see the 4 vanes in the rotor there, they're supposed to slide in and out of the rotor freely and they're a ridiculously tight tolerance so the slightest thing to stop them moving and they wont budge. Hence unless the pumps are stored clean and full of fuel they tend to not work.

What would you suggest doing? Could this pump be repaired or is it a case of sourcing a new pump? Thanks for your help! This is such a kick in the teeth!! Haha

RE: Xud starting problems, pump!! - Tom - 17-03-2014

Take pump off, strip it down, free vanes, put back together, refit to car. How long was the engine sitting? Did it have fuel in it? Diesel not veg?

Engine was sitting 8 months maybe, I would of thought there would of been some fuel Left in it, yeah diesel

RE: Xud starting problems, pump!! - dave205 - 21-03-2014

Right guys before I send the pump away to get reconditioned we tried another bosch pump we had and after all the work of changing it the car starts but revs it's f*cking tits off straight away like uncontrollably, why would this be?

RE: Xud starting problems, pump!! - Jimbo - 21-03-2014

Max fuel turned up too high??

RE: Xud starting problems, pump!! - Danny2009 - 21-03-2014

Max fuel too far in?

Throttle arm in wrong position pushing on govenor

Turbo f*cked and it's running off its own oil

That would do it

RE: Xud starting problems, pump!! - dave205 - 26-03-2014

Getting quoted 700 bucks to recondition my faulty bosch pump seems an awful lot?! Anyone selling a bosch pump? Working one that is Smile

RE: Xud starting problems, pump!! - silverzx - 26-03-2014

(26-03-2014, 02:37 PM)dave205 Wrote: Getting quoted 700 bucks to recondition my faulty bosch pump seems an awful lot?! Anyone selling a bosch pump? Working one that is Smile

Thats laughable!

Someone (sherman?) is selling a Bosch £90 posted on forum.

See them go between £50-£120.

RE: Xud starting problems, pump!! - Tom - 26-03-2014

Bloody hell Darren would do it way cheaper than that. So would i but i cant garauntee the vane pump would be fixed after haha!

Xud starting problems, pump!! - devils_fuel - 26-03-2014

If you ask piggy nicely he may refurb it for you, he's just done mine Smile

RE: Xud starting problems, pump!! - dave205 - 27-03-2014

Send it to auto head recon inverness and the sent sub contract it somewhere else so I've already got a bill just for them to strip it down of 80 quid, defo vane pump though rust and water found in it. I would buy a used pump of somebody but how do I know it's good and will last? It's a bit of a chance. Wonder if they could make one good pump out of my two bad ones.

RE: Xud starting problems, pump!! - Tom - 27-03-2014

(27-03-2014, 01:07 PM)dave205 Wrote: Send it to auto head recon inverness and the sent sub contract it somewhere else so I've already got a bill just for them to strip it down of 80 quid, defo vane pump though rust and water found in it. I would buy a used pump of somebody but how do I know it's good and will last? It's a bit of a chance. Wonder if they could make one good pump out of my two bad ones.

Dont see why not aslong as the parts aren't damaged.

Xud starting problems, pump!! - devils_fuel - 27-03-2014

The pump would become expensive but peace of mind though Smile

RE: Xud starting problems, pump!! - dave205 - 02-04-2014

Right, got a pump of a 405 for 40 quid put it on and it started first time. Now though we have an oil leak!!! It appears to be coming from the crank shaft pulley seal which is funny because we did replace it and it is the correct seal. Just curious if any of you guys know should this seal be flush or should it be in a little more just beyond flush?

RE: Xud starting problems, pump!! - darrenjlobb - 02-04-2014

Reading from phone but 800 ??? O will rebuild / reseal with gen seals for 50 quid including modifications if required.