306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum
Got money, want power. Whaaat to do? :D - Printable Version

+- 306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Engines (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+--- Forum: XUD Section (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: Got money, want power. Whaaat to do? :D (/showthread.php?tid=19424)

Pages: 1 2 3

Got money, want power. Whaaat to do? :D - Darren123 - 08-12-2013

So the dturbo is coming along, last picture i had up of it was fairly standard, changed a little bit noe, the outside of it will be finished within the next two weeks Big Grin .... i'll throw a few pics up then Smile ..... So in the new year it'll be time to tackle under the bonnet Smile have a few savings put away for this Smile .... Sooo, what to buy? ..... Fmic? Tdo4 turbo? Bosch pump? Smile .... Wanted to build a 306 engine with a while now, but i dunno where to start Tongue

RE: Got money, want power. Whaaat to do? :D - Danny2009 - 08-12-2013

Bosch pump is top of the list tbh

Start collecting fmic parts while your understanding / fiddling with the Bosch

Then start looking into bigger blowers if your still after more power imo anyway

RE: Got money, want power. Whaaat to do? :D - Darren123 - 08-12-2013

What turbo's are there that'd be suitable? Smile

RE: Got money, want power. Whaaat to do? :D - Piggy - 08-12-2013

RE: Got money, want power. Whaaat to do? :D - Craigus - 08-12-2013

Just look through some of the threads on here, plenty of info on turbos.

Seriously mate get a Bosch on it and learn how they work before thinking about a bigger turbo

RE: Got money, want power. Whaaat to do? :D - Piggy - 08-12-2013

just dont buy a outdated td04 and do read the 100s of threads on here asking about mods, tuning and what turbos are best.

RE: Got money, want power. Whaaat to do? :D - Darren123 - 08-12-2013

Sounds good Smile bosch pump found and being collected tommorow Smile much in fitting them? Smile

Have a search mate it was covered this week with a video guide

RE: Got money, want power. Whaaat to do? :D - Darren123 - 09-12-2013

Any link danny? read through a few threads there Smile but cant find the video one? Smile

Re: RE: Got money, want power. Whaaat to do? :D - Jake - 09-12-2013

(08-12-2013, 11:23 PM)Piggy Wrote: just dont buy a outdated td04

And don't take Crap advice like this.

Td04 is a very well suited and very cheap upgrade to the standard setup. Yes it has been done a lot and isn't an early spooler like some of the newer GT series turbos but is still a hell of a good upgrade.

RE: Got money, want power. Whaaat to do? :D - Chris_90 - 09-12-2013

(09-12-2013, 02:34 AM)Jake Wrote:
(08-12-2013, 11:23 PM)Piggy Wrote: just dont buy a outdated td04

And don't take Crap advice like this.

Td04 is a very well suited and very cheap upgrade to the standard setup. Yes it has been done a lot and isn't an early spooler like some of the newer GT series turbos but is still a hell of a good upgrade.

^^^^^^^ what he said carnt go wrong with a tdo4, and my personal experience with it, I didn't think it was that laggy at all tbh!

RE: Got money, want power. Whaaat to do? :D - Piggy - 09-12-2013

c'mon move on guys...

its getting old now...if he has a bit of money saved, he could get a gt17 or even gt20 for only a few quid more, its not just how laggy it is, its also how efficient it is.

I know it was all the rage, like yoyos and tamagochis and cassette walkmans....but things move on

(09-12-2013, 08:24 AM)Piggy Wrote: c'mon move on guys...

its getting old now...if he has a bit of money saved, he could get a gt17 or even gt20 for only a few quid more, its not just how laggy it is, its also how efficient it is.

I know it was all the rage, like yoyos and tamagochis and cassette walkmans....but things move on

I do understand were your comeing from, But if you want cheap, easy/quick to fit, if you can keep the wategate you can keep the turbo in its efficiency range. Also the td04 is alot easier to find, As just from my experience been looking for a gt20/gt22 and im struggling to find one..... or find one at a decent price...... But each to there own just saying its still possible Smile

dont turn into puggy chris...

the gt17s and gt20s are easy to find and not much money anymore. I just sold my gt1749 for £40!

I just dont see the point in spending the time, effort and money on a turbo which with the same effort, time and money you could get a turbo which is 25% more efficient at every point in the rev range. AND spool sooo much quicker. And thus keep engine temps down too...extending hoon time and engine life

(09-12-2013, 08:35 AM)Piggy Wrote: dont turn into puggy chris...

the gt17s and gt20s are easy to find and not much money anymore. I just sold my gt1749 for £40!

I just dont see the point in spending the time, effort and money on a turbo which with the same effort, time and money you could get a turbo which is 25% more efficient at every point in the rev range. AND spool sooo much quicker. And thus keep engine temps down too...extending hoon time and engine life

Winds me up when you say dont turn in to puggy that really dont help you no??!! Ive look on the various sites to tell me what the gt20 come on and then searched ebay with no luck, Clearly i must be doing something wrong, But your not willing to help you would rather just say dont turn in to puggy, Being very sarcastic as normal! like the last time i asked about the gt20's cheap! I got the same reply.

I no that some people like to keep secrets about the tuning but as you said the gt20 is widely used on here now so why you/other people carnt help fellow 306oc members is beyond me......

/Rant over lol

Im not keeping any secrets bud...I cant stand it when folks dont share, its very selfish.

I do the same as what you have said, search a few sites for what vehicles and serial numbers a turbo has or is on and then search for those...

I got the gt1749 for £55...annoyingly sold it for £40...but I had the choice of half a dozen of them at that price

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=261327456726

£45 inc postage. It says spares n repair due to small amount of play in shaft...but if its a tiny bit of side to side its probably fine or spend £20 on new bearings n seals n rebuild it

(09-12-2013, 09:24 AM)Piggy Wrote: Im not keeping any secrets bud...I cant stand it when folks dont share, its very selfish.

I do the same as what you have said, search a few sites for what vehicles and serial numbers a turbo has or is on and then search for those...

I got the gt1749 for £55...annoyingly sold it for £40...but I had the choice of half a dozen of them at that price

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=261327456726

£45 inc postage. It says spares n repair due to small amount of play in shaft...but if its a tiny bit of side to side its probably fine or spend £20 on new bearings n seals n rebuild it

See i must be doing something wrong when it comes to finding them, the only thing with that one is the thing on the cold side, is it the recirculating valve? i will do some more searching some time cos i must be looking on the wrong sites to see what the turbo came on as there was only about 5 cars/vans it come on.

RE: Got money, want power. Whaaat to do? :D - zx_volcane - 09-12-2013

(09-12-2013, 08:24 AM)Piggy Wrote: c'mon move on guys...

Piggy please stop being so hostile to newbies asking for advice and dismissing perfectly good advice given to them by people on here trying to help.

As the saying goes, people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

Strapping on a CHEAP quick spooling TD04 is performance wise very close to putting an expensive, quite hard to source GT20 turbo on.

Plus a GT20 will likely ruin your clutch and lift your head, which means ideally you want some relatively expensive supporting mods.

Ask me how I know, I've been there done that

Yes there is a world of difference in the way they drive, but tbh you have to look at the average price of an xud engined car and work out the budget most people are going to have for mods.

When you can get to an easy 170bhp with a TD04 for less than £100 in parts its a no brainer ...

Chris, I don't there are many people at all running a gt20 on here - Anton is running my old one, Pellowe ran one (and blew up a couple), Ricky was running one but had some issues, puggy is still ongoing trying to get his attached to his car... can't think of any more tbh

Thats one reason why im swaying towards the td04 for my project as i dont want to be lifting the head. And im on a budget to so dont want to be upgrading head studs etc. If i can keep the wastegate on the td04 im gonna use that i think Smile

RE: Got money, want power. Whaaat to do? :D - jammapic - 09-12-2013

If you have money, go to Turbo Dynamics and ask them to build you a GT25 hybrid to my spec. It cost nearly £800, but was direct bolt on and made over 200hp without blowing up my motor...

JP

(09-12-2013, 09:47 AM)Chris_90 Wrote: Thats one reason why im swaying towards the td04 for my project as i dont want to be lifting the head. And im on a budget to so dont want to be upgrading head studs etc. If i can keep the wastegate on the td04 im gonna use that i think Smile

try and find gt1749s.

epic little turbo, pm me and I'll point you to cheap ones

(09-12-2013, 09:43 AM)zx_volcane Wrote: Piggy please stop being so hostile to newbies asking for advice and dismissing perfectly good advice given to them by people on here trying to help.

Strapping on a CHEAP quick spooling TD04 is performance wise very close to putting an expensive, quite hard to source GT20 turbo on.

Plus a GT20 will likely ruin your clutch and lift your head, which means ideally you want some relatively expensive supporting mods.

he isnt a newbie and Im not being hostile. He asked us for ideas and advice and just because Im not being old fashioned and prefer mp3 over vinyls Im getting slated?!

Im running the gt2056 at 19psi, it lights up the wheels in 3rd. And its done 3000miles on a standard valeo clutch.
And the head is also fine.
I can imagine vnt causing more issues...but just the 's' range will be fine.

gt20s or 17s arent hard to source and td04 adapter plates arent cheap. And if you arent as awkward with tools as Puggy then you can make plates up yaself.

thats my opinion of course...and we all have our own...but things do improve and theres no need to follow the crowd with clones, a 40mm drop and a td04 anymore I think

RE: Got money, want power. Whaaat to do? :D - zx_volcane - 09-12-2013

Your first reply wan't exactly helpful or friendly ...

If it ain't broke, don't fix it - there is no reason to shy away from a cheap proven way to double your horsepower on these engines.

Advising people not to do it on the basis that lots of other people have done it with great success is idiotic.

Whereas a 40mm drop + clones might be considered aesthetic and therefore subjective, engine power is pretty objective and doesn't fall out of fashion too often.

With the adapter plates prices piggy you don't have to pay that much if your good with tools make your own for free if you got a friendly mate who has off cuts of steel, or just weld it to manifold, bit of a bodge I no but of you was to blow it can just swap the cartridge or get another manifold.

Just my opinion on it Smile

RE: Got money, want power. Whaaat to do? :D - anto - 09-12-2013

11mm Bosch pump
Td04

An easy 170-180bhp.
Wont ruin your clutch
Dont need a FMIC unless you plan to drive it like a hooligan all the time.

exactly...so why not do that with a better turbo?!

and my first reply was a replacement for the usual...'all the info has been covered a gazillion times, got search'

RE: Got money, want power. Whaaat to do? :D - Jonny81191 - 09-12-2013

Piggy, if I were you, I'd be shutting up round about now.

The TD04 is dated, it is laggy and it is done so often that it's almost standard fitment. lol

However, it's reliable (sorry, bombproof), proven, cheap, easy to fit and there's no reason why you can't drive it daily, while enjoying 150-170BHP reliably and economically. If I were in the position Darren is in, I'd be looking at nothing other than a TD04, FMIC, and an 11mm for all the reasons I just listed.

Also, I'd be interested to see your viewpoint on GT20's after they've been done to death, will that become pointless then? Thought not.
Lastly, can you recommend any other turbo's that are suitable, proven and easy to fit for someone with basic tools? Once again, I thought not.

Having said all of that, if Darren wants to try something else, I say go for it. We'll be here to help and offer advice if possible and it'd be interesting to see something "new"

RE: Got money, want power. Whaaat to do? :D - Dave - 09-12-2013

If it were me, I'de go down the td04 route for all the reasons listed above.

Once youve changed a blower and a pump, its easier to broaden then possibilities Big Grin

yawn Undecided

RE: Got money, want power. Whaaat to do? :D - WiNgNuTz - 09-12-2013

How about stick with the power you've got, and give me the money instead? Big Grin