306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum
ABS gremlin; how to fool ECU/light - Printable Version

+- 306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: 306 Repairs & Mods (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Forum: Electrics (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: ABS gremlin; how to fool ECU/light (/showthread.php?tid=17512)

ABS gremlin; how to fool ECU/light - ginge191 - 21-09-2013

Before you rant "just fix it" ; i've had the ECU plugged in and read the fault code.
The fault read from the rear O/S sensor; i (me and max) started removing the old sensor from a spare beam (read a decent V when spinning the hubs, thus working sensors) and both sensors seized in like an absoloute whore.

So, decided it was/is going to be impossible trying to get the sensor off the sitting beam.

I spoke to the garage who are very familiar with peugoet's and there brake/electrical problems. He knows that i was suggesting to trick the ECU/light and was happy for this if i wanted to..

My aim is to wire the ABS light into the + on the glowies.

I checked the ABS ECU for a live for the light, i found 5 live wires - 2 grey main for the ECU, and 3 other (orange, red, yellow) for which i assumed were a live for the dash light.

i turned the ECU power off and put a live into each of the 3 coloured wires, one by one to check an illuminated dash ABS light - nothing.

I've checked the haynes manual for anything, and still, no wiring diagram for the ABS ECU loom

Can anyone shed some light on which wire/ how to do this.

I only need to wire a + frow the glowies into the + from the ABS ECU to the dash light.

I also had a crack at the dashboard, but given all the bulbs luminate across a board and the impossible task of stripping back the plugs, this isn't really an option Sad

any help greatfully appreciated

RE: ABS gremlin; how to fool ECU/light - Niall - 21-09-2013

Right firstly before i give you your answer to your question, dont always trust fault codes. Any good mechanic will use a fault code as a very vague idea of what this issue is. I would still test the abs sensors all work properly (pretty sure i told you how to do this the other day but could of been someone else?) and check the wires from the pump to the sensors. All of this should take no more than half hour and 95% of the time, it will be one of these.

If you want a wiring diagram for the abs, check the guides section. Ive made a post a while back with all the AD diagrams for a ph2/3 petrol 306.

RE: ABS gremlin; how to fool ECU/light - ginge191 - 21-09-2013

(21-09-2013, 06:43 PM)Niall Wrote: Right firstly before i give you your answer to your question, dont always trust fault codes. Any good mechanic will use a fault code as a very vague idea of what this issue is. I would still test the abs sensors all work properly (pretty sure i told you how to do this the other day but could of been someone else?) and check the wires from the pump to the sensors. All of this should take no more than half hour and 95% of the time, it will be one of these.

If you want a wiring diagram for the abs, check the guides section. Ive made a post a while back with all the AD diagrams for a ph2/3 petrol 306.

Sorry, forgot to add, also checked the V on the O/S rear (suspect failed) sensor, and read 0 on all readings, forwards backwards, sprayed and cleaned plugs, still 0.

I'll have a ganders now and post some more info in there if i find something handy Smile

x

its a bad sensor then. Smash it out and get a new one in there. At least then you know the ABS will be working. You will be shocked at how much of a difference on the road it can make in stopping distances!

RE: ABS gremlin; how to fool ECU/light - cully - 21-09-2013

is the abs ring still on the hub or has it fallen off?

(21-09-2013, 06:59 PM)Niall Wrote: its a bad sensor then. Smash it out and get a new one in there. At least then you know the ABS will be working. You will be shocked at how much of a difference on the road it can make in stopping distances!

As much as i'd love to, at the moment i can't really purely because the two spares i would be using are seized SOLID and i don't want to attempt the one on the car now in fear of wasting time on it. I'll have a poke tomorrow, if i can loosen it off, i'll set about finding a new sensor from a motor factors

(21-09-2013, 06:59 PM)cully Wrote: is the abs ring still on the hub or has it fallen off?

ABS ring is still on and intact ThumbsUp

and niall, looking at the wiring diagram in the guides; it's saying A5 corresponds to the instrument panel, and THINK it says 'bl' next to this; as in blue wire, or do my tired eyes deceive me?

Mulgrips on the sensor, rip the top off, smash the middle out then all your left with is the plastic casing which you should be able to prise out.
And ill have a look at the diagrams in a bit

abs warning light is on pin 21 on the abs block, wire number 443, it needs to be grounded to bring the light on

i would tag it onto the trigger wire on the alternator it will then turn the abs light off when the car is started with the engine running like the battery light

(21-09-2013, 07:08 PM)cully Wrote: abs warning light is on pin 21 on the abs block, wire number 443, it needs to be grounded to bring the light on

i would tag it onto the trigger wire on the alternator it will then turn the abs light off when the car is started with the engine running like the battery light

How would i go about routing a + on this wire; also, i can't see wire 443; only 441, 4410, 440, 449 around pin 21.

As for the MOT; would it not need to turn off with the ignition as apposed to the car starting , hence preferring to wire to the glowies rather than the alternator. Undecided

glow plug relay supplys a + to the glowie light
the ABS light needs a - to light it

maybe your only option is to link the airbag light to it as this must be working as you havn't said it failed on it

(21-09-2013, 07:19 PM)cully Wrote: glow plug relay supplys a + to the glowie light
the ABS light needs a - to light it

ohhhhhhhhh i see.. that makes a hell of a sense..

my head is seriously hurting now.

I'll let Niall have a ganders.

If i can find out what colour cable i need to be intercepting, i can get a - for the light.

Actually, hang on cully, if i wire the ABS light to glowie at the glowplug end, they have a - anywho once the relay clicks off? no..?

no it wont work as the relay supplys a + to the glowplugs

(21-09-2013, 07:28 PM)cully Wrote: no it wont work as the relay supplys a + to the glowplugs

gotcha; so the smaller (-) on the alternator would suffice as a interception, would this pass the MOT?

the abs light will go off when the car is started

if it pass.s only your tester will tell you that

RE: ABS gremlin; how to fool ECU/light - darrenjlobb - 23-09-2013

If that was me, given the only issue is a wheel sensor, id just bloody fix it....why farce around hooking up random connections to fool the light....just buy a new sensor, smash the old one out and have done....

When i needed to mod some lights on the dash in a car, i just did it on the dash its self..just took stock bulb out, and put an LED in the hole..so in your case just connect it in parralell with the glow plug light, then you can just put stock bulb back in if you want it working right again...6 screws and dash is out, 2 minutes and led is mounted and connected Smile

RE: ABS gremlin; how to fool ECU/light - Ruan - 23-09-2013

They really aren't that bad to get out as long as you're aware you are going to destroy it - it's f*cked anyway so it doesn't matter...

Just smash up the outer casing, and clean up the hole once it's out... New sensors aren't that much and it's worth fixing it to be honest...

RE: ABS gremlin; how to fool ECU/light - MissTap_GTI6 - 23-09-2013

it's at the garage being sorted, whether they fix the ABS or the light, either way, I need my car to pass the MOT!
It's the final thing on the MOT checklist! Smile

RE: ABS gremlin; how to fool ECU/light - kris_taylor1988 - 27-09-2013

Is there an easier way to test sensors then getting underneath car and disconnection sensors and testing. As in can you test from engine bay. Thanks

RE: ABS gremlin; how to fool ECU/light - Niall - 27-09-2013

Yes you can test them from the multiplug that goes into the pump but you will have to work out which pins it is.

RE: ABS gremlin; how to fool ECU/light - kris_taylor1988 - 27-09-2013

O ok then. I got told it wasnt the sensors by garage, so just wanted to double check.
Thanks