306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum
Can an abs ring be fitted to a cv joint - Printable Version

+- 306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: 306 Repairs & Mods (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Forum: Suspension, Transmission, Handling & Braking (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Thread: Can an abs ring be fitted to a cv joint (/showthread.php?tid=16125)

Can an abs ring be fitted to a cv joint - stu9 - 02-08-2013

I got a fail on mine today (01 306 2.0hdi), phoned the factor, they said they only have the complete drive shaft, that's the way come but said to try ebay ect as I get a cv joint with the ring on it. failing that, I'd need to try and get one (ring) and use a blow torch as it's heat shrunk on

RE: Can an abs ring be fitted to a cv joint - Piggy - 02-08-2013

nah, just get a joint or shaft

RE: Can an abs ring be fitted to a cv joint - stu9 - 02-08-2013

Ok, and how easy/hard are they (cv) to fit

RE: Can an abs ring be fitted to a cv joint - Piggy - 02-08-2013

personally...would rather buy a whole shaft...such a horrid messy job doing a cv

RE: Can an abs ring be fitted to a cv joint - Grant - 02-08-2013

(02-08-2013, 08:30 PM)Piggy Wrote: personally...would rather buy a whole shaft...such a horrid messy job doing a cv

+1 for that.

The amount of trouble you go through, if you can just get another shaft its far easier.

Just remember to be extra careful of those driveshaft oil seals!

RE: Can an abs ring be fitted to a cv joint - puglove - 02-08-2013

I just bought 2 shafts, easier cleaner and well worth the extra £££ for less hassle

unless you have the problem I had with my hdi Doh lol

(02-08-2013, 08:51 PM)puglove Wrote: unless you have the problem I had with my hdi Doh lol

A spanner set loose in the hands of a tit?

RE: Can an abs ring be fitted to a cv joint - C2K - 02-08-2013

I just bought a ring for 2 quid to try on my brothers shaft, worth a punt.

(02-08-2013, 08:56 PM)C2K Wrote: I just bought a ring for 2 quid to try on my brothers shaft, worth a punt.

lmao close family?

Wink

RE: Can an abs ring be fitted to a cv joint - stu9 - 02-08-2013

Cheers guys, will have a better look at tomorrow, I see on the fail paper what it actually says.."offside front (abs ring) anti-lock braking system wiring excessively damaged (3.4.3)

Could it it's just the sensor

This is a car that's been in a lockup for a few months and and not moved and never had a warning light in 3 1/2 years, now this!

RE: Can an abs ring be fitted to a cv joint - C2K - 03-08-2013

Never come across failed wiring, but the rings corrode badly and snap off.

As it happens, the ABS ring we got for 2 squid delivered on ebay tapped onto the cv joint no bother at all and the ABS light seems happy.

RE: Can an abs ring be fitted to a cv joint - Grant - 03-08-2013

The wiring can foul on the tyre if the cable is not clipped back into place on the hub correctly.

If it's been sat for a while theres a high chance corrosion on the ring/sensor tip has occurred. Good luck, they're a pig to get out of the hub intact!

RE: Can an abs ring be fitted to a cv joint - Niall - 03-08-2013

Yeah sensors fail quite often and as Gunt said, they are a right bastard to get out. Have a big hammer and drift at the ready!