306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum
A/C...really needed, reliable? - Printable Version

+- 306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: General (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: The Couch (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: A/C...really needed, reliable? (/showthread.php?tid=15397)

Pages: 1 2

A/C...really needed, reliable? - Piggy - 10-07-2013

Ok,

so I am at empty engine bay stage.

Heres my options....rip out the A/C or keep it and try and make it work with the 2.1.

It may make me money ripping it out, but I will have no A/C....seems silly not to with a 'GT'

Or keep it in, but it will cost more to sort it out, fans, fitting it, gassing it, etc.

So, whats your thoughts gang, is A/C worth it? And how reliable is it in the 306??

RE: A/C...really needed, reliable? - Curt - 10-07-2013

(10-07-2013, 01:42 PM)Piggy Wrote: And how reliable is it in the 306??

lmao

Rip it out, it isn't worth the hassle for how much you use it.

RE: A/C...really needed, reliable? - Piggy - 10-07-2013

I wouldnt think so either...but the last couple weeks has made me wonder!?

It aint got a sunroof...so my thought was, long term, if I dont have A/C I will fit a sunroof?!

RE: A/C...really needed, reliable? - Dum-Dum - 10-07-2013

Realistically your potentially gonna need a new AC rad and all the pipes then gassing, guessing thats about £400+

Ive had a couple of 306s with working AC so it can still work on a 10YO car but not much longer than the 10 years in my experience

RE: A/C...really needed, reliable? - Kezzieboy - 10-07-2013

Mine still works brilliantly, I'm always surprised by how much I use it. Good for de-misting too.

RE: A/C...really needed, reliable? - cpikey316_ - 10-07-2013

it works on my Saab, and its a godsend.

Great in the winter, great in the summer.

Much, MUCH better than opening a window, especially in traffic.

I wouldnt buy a car without it. The MPG losses are next to nothing.

RE: A/C...really needed, reliable? - Toms306 - 10-07-2013

I wish mine worked, my food is basically cooked in the half hour between the shop and home atm...not to mention myself being cooked and sweaty balls! Its also useful for hayfever, takes the pollen out of the air.

BUT, not worth the money on a 306 imo.

RE: A/C...really needed, reliable? - Niall - 10-07-2013

Mines being regassed Friday Smile
I use air con all the time in the Kia. In the Skoda, i dont think it was ever turned off since i got the car. Its great all year round and there is literally next to no mpg difference. Used to be on systems before R134a but since they became mandatory, they are much more efficient (although Tom will tell you as soon as you think about hitting that button, you will loose literally billions of MPGZ)

(10-07-2013, 04:33 PM)Niall Wrote: Mines being regassed Friday Smile
I use air con all the time in the Kia. In the Skoda, i dont think it was ever turned off since i got the car. Its great all year round and there is literally next to no mpg difference. Used to be on systems before R134a but since they became mandatory, they are much more efficient (although Tom will tell you as soon as you think about hitting that button, you will loose literally billions of MPGZ)

Not true actually. Tongue

I used to think that, before I started getting cars with MPG readouts lol, not 100% accurate but close enough to see the difference. It does add quite a bit of load if you're just idling, but doesn't make a noticeable difference whilst driving tbh. A slight incline makes much more difference!

Wait.....what? How do i reply to that? You actually sort of agree with me. Are you ok?

(10-07-2013, 04:40 PM)Niall Wrote: Wait.....what? How do i reply to that? You actually sort of agree with me. Are you ok?

I have my own opinions, it just so happens that yours are correct this time. Wink lol

The a/c rad is in good condition as are the pipes...

people seem split over this....?

not helping! lol!

The pipes along the bottom of the condenser often corrode. The new design ones dont but you will need to either buy them from peugeot (fairly pricy) or have some made up by a air con guy (probably wont be as tidy as the steel tubes but cheaper!). Also you will have to replace the receiver dryer as if they are exposed to atmospheric pressure for a long time, the diaphragm inside them can collapse. They are about £25 or about £40 for a genuine pug one. Then pressure test and regas will be about £50 (tip. Get it done by Kwikfit. If it doesnt work after, you dont pay. Only downside is they set a limit on the amount of gas they will use which wont completely fill some systems but the 306 one is quite small so it should fill completely or near enough!)

right.

looks like its staying.

May not be done straight away but will certainly keep all the pipes n condenser in place for future upgrade

RE: A/C...really needed, reliable? - swampy - 10-07-2013

Much cheaper than retro fitting a sunroof!!

As that involves a new roof skin to be welded in to place plus a different head lining

RE: A/C...really needed, reliable? - cwspellowe - 10-07-2013

Just FYI.. the reason the pipes corrode is because they are ally pipes secured with steel clips. As everyone knows, that's a recipe for corrosion. Mount them with plastic clips and they'll last as long as you have the car.

RE: A/C...really needed, reliable? - Ruan - 10-07-2013

(10-07-2013, 07:33 PM)cwspellowe Wrote: Just FYI.. the reason the pipes corrode is because they are ally pipes secured with steel clips. As everyone knows, that's a recipe for corrosion. Mount them with plastic clips and they'll last as long as you have the car.

^^^ This!!!

RE: A/C...really needed, reliable? - Dum-Dum - 10-07-2013

Id of thought the rubbers between the steel and the ally would of stopped the corrosion

RE: A/C...really needed, reliable? - cwspellowe - 10-07-2013

Rubbers perish. If you think about when the car was built new, anything as early as 1996, by the time the AC pipes have gone the rubbers are usually knackered too. I know mine on my GTi pretty much fell apart.

RE: A/C...really needed, reliable? - C.A.R. - 10-07-2013

Never had a 306 with working AC personally! Leccy windows work!

Had climate control in the Celica and it was amazing. Just press some buttons and it all happened around you, lovely! Shame that didn't do 40mpg+ or I'd still have it lol

sort the clips then and Im done!

RE: A/C...really needed, reliable? - Poodle - 10-07-2013

Ive only seen two 306s with working aircon in three years lol. My current car has receipts for aircon repairs for every year between it leaving the factory and it arriving at my door, so I assume it came broken as standard.

RE: A/C...really needed, reliable? - DeeTurbo - 10-07-2013

Mine runs fine and I have never had a problem with it. I've had it regassed twice in the 13 years of owning the car and the 300k I've driven it.

I think a lot of the time the condenser corrodes from the salt off the roads that get stuck in it. It's an idea to spray water through the grill to wash it out when washing the car.

RE: A/C...really needed, reliable? - ozonehostile - 10-07-2013

oh yeah piggy, i have the ac/pas pump bracket you wanted. forgot all about it. yhpm

Re: A/C...really needed, reliable? - mad306man - 19-07-2013

Just had mine recharged on the wagon, pleased to report it works perfectly!

Is there a pollen filter anywhere?

RE: A/C...really needed, reliable? - Piggy - 19-07-2013

No, not that I know of.

good to hear it works though!

RE: A/C...really needed, reliable? - Niall - 19-07-2013

No there isn't. Just FYI for those getting their air con regassed. Make sure you get one of them cleaning can things (the ones you set off on the back of the car and leave for 5 minutes). Air con evaporators are a perfect growing spot for loads of horrible things including leigionaires disease. They normally build up when it's not in use so of it hasn't been used for ages, get one of them cans. Also, for the sake of 10 quid, id do it yearly as well as part of a service.

RE: A/C...really needed, reliable? - fuziduck - 19-07-2013

(19-07-2013, 02:20 PM)Niall Wrote: No there isn't. Just FYI for those getting their air con regassed. Make sure you get one of them cleaning can things (the ones you set off on the back of the car and leave for 5 minutes). Air con evaporators are a perfect growing spot for loads of horrible things including leigionaires disease. They normally build up when it's not in use so of it hasn't been used for ages, get one of them cans. Also, for the sake of 10 quid, id do it yearly as well as part of a service.

More likely to happen on working A/C from condensate after use. If it hasn't been used for years, no condensation will have been present for years and as such, no bacteria.

One of the cleaning gas bombs certainly wouldn't do any harm though!

Also its recommended that you turn off the A/C 5 mins before the end of your journey to warm up and dry the condenser to prevent condensation appearing.

RE: A/C...really needed, reliable? - Niall - 19-07-2013

(19-07-2013, 03:40 PM)fuziduck Wrote: Also its recommended that you turn off the A/C 5 mins before the end of your journey to warm up and dry the condenser to prevent condensation appearing.

Tbh i just leave mine on all the time. It doesnt make any difference to fuel consumption, its nice in the summer and helps a lot in the winter

RE: A/C...really needed, reliable? - fuziduck - 19-07-2013

(19-07-2013, 03:42 PM)Niall Wrote:
(19-07-2013, 03:40 PM)fuziduck Wrote: Also its recommended that you turn off the A/C 5 mins before the end of your journey to warm up and dry the condenser to prevent condensation appearing.

Tbh i just leave mine on all the time. It doesnt make any difference to fuel consumption, its nice in the summer and helps a lot in the winter

Agreed, I leave mine on most of the time tbh, can't beat it in this weather either!! Love the holiday feel when you get out too!