306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum
ARP Head Studs WITHOUT CUSTOM SPACERS!!!! - Printable Version

+- 306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Engines (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+--- Forum: XUD Section (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: ARP Head Studs WITHOUT CUSTOM SPACERS!!!! (/showthread.php?tid=15251)

Pages: 1 2

ARP Head Studs WITHOUT CUSTOM SPACERS!!!! - SonnyRoby - 05-07-2013

http://www.peugeot-tuning-parts.co.uk/xu10j2/j4-rs-head-studs-bolts-306-/-xsara-2-0-/-406-2-0-turbo-p416.html

Here is that "special", wonderful kit, after 3 days of reasearch, that some people weren't willing to share.
This is the kit that is a perfect fit and goes without spacers. They are GTI-6/Peugeot 2.0T ARP studs and go perfectly with the XUD.

Share this with everyone that needs special studs.

RE: ARP Head Studs WITHOUT SPACERS!!!! - zx_volcane - 05-07-2013

For clarification, and because I feel this is a bit of a dig aimed squarely at me.

This is not the kit that I am using, and when I got mine no one in the uk stocked them and hence had to be ordered in from USA with a long lead time.

Would be good if these do fit, no one should have to go through the ballache I did in trying to source a set that fitted and worked.

Infact it would be AMAZING news if you can just order these off the shelf from a uk company.

But to imply I just googled up a pug1off website, ordered and then kept that a secret for 'teh lolz' is a bit much.

RE: ARP Head Studs WITHOUT SPACERS!!!! - SonnyRoby - 05-07-2013

I ordered them from pug1off. They're already mounted. They are a perfect fit and work perfectly.

Well yeah it was aimed to you. I asked you on your topic and intentionaly or not you did not want to answer my questions.

Wink

RE: ARP Head Studs WITHOUT SPACERS!!!! - Piggy - 05-07-2013

and these fit xuds direct??

just to confirm!

YES! XUD9

(05-07-2013, 11:03 AM)SonnyRoby Wrote: I ordered them from pug1off. They're already mounted. They are a perfect fit and work perfectly.

Well yeah it was aimed to you. I asked you on your topic and intentionaly or not you did not want to answer my questions.

Wink

If it was as easy as replying and saying yeah mate just go order of pug1off I would have.

But I guarantee when I sorted mine, no one in the uk did them, and they certainly weren't off the shelf or labelled up as peugeot studs.

RE: ARP Head Studs WITHOUT SPACERS!!!! - darrenjlobb - 05-07-2013

Interesting that these fit your XUD directly, as these are the studs I used, And I had to make spacers.....

You just using the single supplied ARP washer and theres enough threads left to torque down? Its possible my order ended up being MI studs, which would explain a difference, so epic if those are a direct fit for people, tempted myself as i had to mod two of mine as they were to long to clear the camchain in my 16v, could you take a photo of them installed so i can see how much headroom they need, as they might fit direct im thinking, if so ill have a set of XUD compatible studs / spacers for sale for cheap to!

RE: ARP Head Studs WITHOUT SPACERS!!!! - Tom - 05-07-2013

Good find if they fit, funny if the op thinks they're tight but hes just ran out of thread trololol

RE: ARP Head Studs WITHOUT SPACERS!!!! - bik3rutz - 05-07-2013

It's not a gti-6 studs kit. It's the kit for 2.0t from peugeot and citroen and is direct fit, without spacers.

Totally different studs to the ones I'm using, mine retain original spacers

The studs we are using are cooler. Running without spacers equals in less weight to the car.

RE: ARP Head Studs WITHOUT SPACERS!!!! - Ruan - 05-07-2013

You're not running any spacers?!?

Fail!!!!

Yeah thats the ones I ordered, as i figured they would be the same, but the ones I ended up getting, werent, and I had to make spacers, I thought it was weird at the time, given there near identical!

(05-07-2013, 03:51 PM)Ruan Wrote: You're not running any spacers?!?

Fail!!!!

Could you please explain? Or were you beeing ironic?

RE: ARP Head Studs WITHOUT SPACERS!!!! - Ruan - 05-07-2013

Also, looking at them, there's no way they are genuine ARP studs!? They are ARP nuts, but ARPs always have a Hex in the end to put them in the block :/

Problems with installing bolts without washers:

A. The force isn't evenly distributed across the aluminium cylinder head - you'll end up indenting the cylinder head from the force.

B. You will literally have to re-torque the bolts about 10 times as the aluminium will shuffle around since you will have tightened hardened steel against a soft aluminium head, it'll have knurled up the head and moved the ally around, through the next couple of heat cycles, you'll probably find your gasket will leak, they will require re-torquing...

C. You may as well throw what torque you did them up to out the window - again because you tightened against soft aluminium... That's why they even put in packets of ARP Ultra-Torque to lubricate between the two steel surfaces and threads when torquing down, but against aluminium, it'll "smear" the aluminium when coming up to maximum torque - causing all the metal to move, again, meaning you'll need to re-torque, but every time you re-torque, you move the ally around some more, meaning you'll never get a consistent torque setting...

Almost ALL ally cylinder head cars have washers for this reason, even just bolts going into ally stuff will have a washer generally for that precise reason... They DO need washers.

They will come with washers. All ARP studs come with washers for this reason.

They will come with washers. All ARP studs come with washers for this reason.

But yeah looking at that picture they dont look like ARP studs to me either.

RE: ARP Head Studs WITHOUT SPACERS!!!! - Piggy - 06-07-2013

oh bugger

I got all excited

RE: ARP Head Studs WITHOUT SPACERS!!!! - SonnyRoby - 06-07-2013

This is the kit they sent. So far no more head lifting. Will be putting some questions about the studs and why haven't they sent the Ultra-torque grease...
We put grease on them when mounting them.
I will rename the thread - WITHOUT CUSTOM MADE SPACERS.
@ruan. I said without spacers not washers. The ARP washers are mounted also.

btw. Thank you for showing the fact about the studs. I'm now upset that we paid the price for a full ARP head kit and got only half of it. They will be hearing from us.

Thank you once again.

It looks like i'm the one to blaim...

Set of 10 custom head studs with ARP nuts and washers suitable for XU10 8 and 16 valve engines. Ideal for boosted engines where head lift may be of concern.

RE: ARP Head Studs WITHOUT SPACERS!!!! - darrenjlobb - 06-07-2013

Just because they arnt genuine ARP dosnt mean there no good, im sure they will still serve there purpose, altho id rather stick to ARP just because I know there spot on.

RE: ARP Head Studs WITHOUT SPACERS!!!! - SonnyRoby - 06-07-2013

I was so happy that i found a perfect kit for the xud that i did not pay attention to that sentence.
Oh well...

RE: ARP Head Studs WITHOUT CUSTOM SPACERS!!!! - SonnyRoby - 06-07-2013

The studs are custom – not ARP, they are unique to us. The nuts and washers are ARP. The studs are treated in the same way but ARP are American and hence do not have many applications that suit the French market. I’m sure this is explained on our online shop description. If the studs were an off-the-shelf item at ARP everyone would be selling them and they’d be a lot cheaper.

Apologies if there was any confusion here and I hope you’re still happy with the studs…

Kind Regards,

Matt Jobling
PUG1OFF

If anyone else wants to buy this studs kit you should know this information.

Hope it helps for future customers.
Thank you!

RE: ARP Head Studs WITHOUT CUSTOM SPACERS!!!! - Mattcheese31 - 06-07-2013

well time will tell i guess, if they last then it's all good . . .out of interest how much boost pressure are you running?? . .Smile

RE: ARP Head Studs WITHOUT CUSTOM SPACERS!!!! - bik3rutz - 06-07-2013

(06-07-2013, 09:56 AM)Mattcheese31 Wrote: well time will tell i guess, if they last then it's all good . . .out of interest how much boost pressure are you running?? . .Smile

I'm running 2 bar boost with k16 turbo

K16 turbo of a Mercedes ATEGO lorry that is.

RE: ARP Head Studs WITHOUT CUSTOM SPACERS!!!! - Paul Baldwin - 06-07-2013

Hi,

maybe for future reference you should read this? http://arp-bolts.com/pages/arpultratorque.shtml
It shows pretty clearly IMO why ARP are the name to use pretty much across the board. Attention to detail!
Hopefully you'll be ok at those boost levels anyway Smile

(06-07-2013, 10:32 AM)bik3rutz Wrote:
(06-07-2013, 09:56 AM)Mattcheese31 Wrote: well time will tell i guess, if they last then it's all good . . .out of interest how much boost pressure are you running?? . .Smile

I'm running 2 bar boost with k16 turbo

doesn't seem much boost to be running to be lifting the head . . . Confused

It's not the boost that's lifting the head.

@Paul. Thank you for the link. Will be reading the information soon.

(06-07-2013, 04:37 PM)SonnyRoby Wrote: It's not the boost that's lifting the head.

@Paul. Thank you for the link. Will be reading the information soon.

what is then? . .Smile

It's the amount of air a bigger turbo delivers. This is measured in Cubic Feet per Minute(CFM). A big turbo will move a lot more CFM at 15 psi than a small turbo.

(06-07-2013, 04:46 PM)SonnyRoby Wrote: It's the amount of air a bigger turbo delivers. This is measured in Cubic Feet per Minute(CFM). A big turbo will move a lot more CFM at 15 psi than a small turbo.

yeah fair enough, i just read back and you've got a BIG blower on haven't you? . .lol