306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum
MG ZR: Cams & Maps - Printable Version

+- 306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Other Marques (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+--- Forum: Projects (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Thread: MG ZR: Cams & Maps (/showthread.php?tid=14360)

RE: Project Beat a GTi6 - Lolben91 - 07-09-2013

Gorgeous colour mate, always had a soft spot for this shape Smile

Colour code the brace with the car, imo would look mint!

RE: Project Beat a GTi6 - procta - 07-09-2013

not bad photos steve, shame about the shell Tongue

RE: Project Beat a GTi6 - Piggy - 08-09-2013

clean ya ruddy wheels before pic taking...esp as they the only nice thing in the pics!!

engine bay looks so spacious!!!

RE: Project Beat a GTi6 - lolsteve - 08-09-2013

(07-09-2013, 08:40 PM)Lolben91 Wrote: Gorgeous colour mate, always had a soft spot for this shape Smile

Colour code the brace with the car, imo would look mint!
Thanks Smile not a bad idea, need to buy some spray anyway to touch up some areas anyway

(07-09-2013, 11:54 PM)procta Wrote: not bad photos steve, shame about the shell Tongue
It's a tried and tested 200 chassis Tongue if it aint broke don't fix it or in rovers case if we're broke don't spend a penny

(08-09-2013, 12:35 AM)Piggy Wrote: clean ya ruddy wheels before pic taking...esp as they the only nice thing in the pics!!

engine bay looks so spacious!!!

pfft, when it wins the races you'll be sorry you said that Tongue But it'll get a clean before Castle co00mbeee, just wanted to play with Ladysteves bridge camera before it got too dark.
It feels a bit more spacious than the old Hdi not enough room for a fart in that engine bay.

RE: Project Beat a GTi6 - procta - 08-09-2013

its a tried and test 200 chassis, bloody heavy one compaired to mine Tongue

RE: Project Beat a GTi6 - lolsteve - 08-09-2013

still lighter than the 306 though Wink

RE: Project Beat a GTi6 - PUGNUT_XS - 08-09-2013

they look nice but that's about it. In the dark days i had a 2005 MG ZS and it was the biggest pile of poop ever. Was glad to see the back of it. That sodding K series enginePuke

RE: Project Beat a GTi6 - procta - 08-09-2013

(08-09-2013, 07:05 PM)lolsteve Wrote: still lighter than the 306 though Wink

they are lighter, not as light as 850kg tho Tongue

RE: Project Beat a GTi6 - lolsteve - 09-09-2013

Mmmm true, but I watched some rover metro(100?) crash tests the other day. Lets say I'd rather be a bit heavier in the event of a crash lol

RE: Project Beat a GTi6 - procta - 09-09-2013

(09-09-2013, 07:19 PM)lolsteve Wrote: Mmmm true, but I watched some rover metro(100?) crash tests the other day. Lets say I'd rather be a bit heavier in the event of a crash lol

yeah, Id be f*cked same goes for the proper mini, also with me been a short arse, the airbag will proberly kill me rather than save me.
Also I think the metal quality on the later metros were more poor compared to the earlier metros. As the floors on and sills don't really seem to rot compared to the later R100s,

RE: Project Beat a GTi6 - lolsteve - 10-09-2013

(09-09-2013, 08:02 PM)procta Wrote:
(09-09-2013, 07:19 PM)lolsteve Wrote: Mmmm true, but I watched some rover metro(100?) crash tests the other day. Lets say I'd rather be a bit heavier in the event of a crash lol

yeah, Id be f*cked same goes for the proper mini, also with me been a short arse, the airbag will proberly kill me rather than save me.
Also I think the metal quality on the later metros were more poor compared to the earlier metros. As the floors on and sills don't really seem to rot compared to the later R100s,

Doesn't surprise me with rover cutting costs and what not lol still not as bad as the older fords for rust?

Update: New Dot 5.1 brake fluid in the lines now ready for some abuse and front tracking sorted apparently the front wheels were 5mm out, not sure how much that is but all sorted now

RE: Project Beat a GTi6 - Carlos182 - 10-09-2013

(10-09-2013, 09:10 PM)lolsteve Wrote: apparently the front wheels were 5mm out, not sure how much that is but all sorted now

Id say 5mm is about 5mm, which is slightly more than 4mm, but less than 6mm...

(10-09-2013, 09:16 PM)Carlos182 Wrote:
(10-09-2013, 09:10 PM)lolsteve Wrote: apparently the front wheels were 5mm out, not sure how much that is but all sorted now

Id say 5mm is about 5mm, which is slightly more than 4mm, but less than 6mm...

haha I meant like in the grand scheme of things is that miles off or just a little bit out

RE: Project Beat a GTi6 - Poodle - 10-09-2013

It's nonsense, you get degrees of tracking, not mm. And 5 is a fair amount, would be wearing your tyres unevenly, costing fuel and making the steering generally crap, so good shout getting that done lol!

He said 5mm so that's what I'm reporting Tongue the steering did feel a bit crap feels much more planted and faster in a straight line (could be in my head though)

RE: Project Beat a GTi6 - Poodle - 11-09-2013

It will do mate, thats a fair difference. Had a crashed aygo in here yesterday - went over a high kerb, through a hedge and into a ploughed field, that was seven degrees out!

RE: Project Beat a GTi6 - lolsteve - 11-09-2013

So I was only a couple of degree off being a crashed car?
becauserover

RE: Project Beat a GTi6 - Poodle - 11-09-2013

Lol pretty much! :p It'll be where you lowered it mate, ruins the alignment every time.

RE: Project Beat a GTi6 - lolsteve - 19-09-2013

So, castle combe showed some short comings with the MG. First and foremost was the lack of straight line power, with a car that weighs a full passenger less than a gti6 and with "160" bhp I really struggled to keep up. I've had quite a few people say to me it really doesn't feel like 160bhp and I agree feels more in the 130 range.
So it's getting rolling roaded at the Yorkshire meet to find out if it's in my head or somethings afoot. Somewhat hoping it is putting out a lot less because if this is it im not all that impressed, although the bwarp still puts a massive smile on my face.

However since this is beat a gti6 I'm going to need more than 160, the aim is reach 170 a modest increase but doable with some exhaust/induction work. Already watching a scorpion center section on eGay

Handling is also rather hilarious at the moment, while the nankangs are tough as tits and seem to have suffered no damage after two track sessions their grip is somewhat lacking with them preferring to slide and make noises rather than grip. So new tyres are a must for next time.
Been looking into polybushes for the front anti roll bar, I've read that mg used poly bushes as standard for the ZR but being rover it's no doubt no good.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Powerflex-BLACK-Poly-Bush-MG-ZR-Front-Anti-Roll-Bar-Mounts-25mm-/380663925367?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item58a1568a77

Also considering selling up the front strut brace and getting a rear one instead, or maybe I'll see if I can get some time in the university labs to machine one up

RE: Project Beat a GTi6 - Niall - 19-09-2013

Tbh i wasnt trolling when i was in the car with you at pugfest. I genuinely didnt think it felt like 160hp. My old 6 felt much quicker and that was slightly down on power at the time.
Just be careful with breathing mods. My longlife was breathing a bit too much and i was down on power over standard. Got a slightly smaller exhaust with proper boxes on it and it was a fair bit torquier low down.

RE: Project Beat a GTi6 - lolsteve - 19-09-2013

I thought you were trolling me at first, but now I've seen it perform against others I'm regretfully agreeing with you (but shhh don't tell anyone)
A centre section should be fine, since there's still a box in there and people seem to put race tubes and decats on these even though the benefits to doing so is debatable.

Reading more into the handling aspects, it seems that these cars don't have a rear anti roll bar. The rear uses a h frame suspension which is somewhat similar to a torsion bar is it not? But anyway for the ZR breed they just thickened the H frame and removed the bar which works but now means I have an upgrade option available to me. I'm now considering adding one back in to stiffen the rear end and apparently reduce oversteer?

Also went through the history to check mot date

£700 for a catalyst!?!

RE: Project Beat a GTi6 - Tom - 19-09-2013

Well they had there pants down.

RE: Project Beat a GTi6 - 306Dan - 20-09-2013

Ouch, but hey who needs cats on cars might aswell save £700 and get it blown =D

RE: Project Beat a GTi6 - procta - 20-09-2013

(19-09-2013, 06:04 PM)lolsteve Wrote: So, castle combe showed some short comings with the MG. First and foremost was the lack of straight line power, with a car that weighs a full passenger less than a gti6 and with "160" bhp I really struggled to keep up. I've had quite a few people say to me it really doesn't feel like 160bhp and I agree feels more in the 130 range.
So it's getting rolling roaded at the Yorkshire meet to find out if it's in my head or somethings afoot. Somewhat hoping it is putting out a lot less because if this is it im not all that impressed, although the bwarp still puts a massive smile on my face.

However since this is beat a gti6 I'm going to need more than 160, the aim is reach 170 a modest increase but doable with some exhaust/induction work. Already watching a scorpion center section on eGay

Handling is also rather hilarious at the moment, while the nankangs are tough as tits and seem to have suffered no damage after two track sessions their grip is somewhat lacking with them preferring to slide and make noises rather than grip. So new tyres are a must for next time.
Been looking into polybushes for the front anti roll bar, I've read that mg used poly bushes as standard for the ZR but being rover it's no doubt no good.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Powerflex-BLACK-Poly-Bush-MG-ZR-Front-Anti-Roll-Bar-Mounts-25mm-/380663925367?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item58a1568a77

Also considering selling up the front strut brace and getting a rear one instead, or maybe I'll see if I can get some time in the university labs to machine one up

the shell is at fault with that one steve, Tongue

RE: Project Beat a GTi6 - Toms306 - 20-09-2013

I don't see whats unusual about that cat price tbh. Assuming its a genuine part, its probably the same price for a 306 petrol one. Wink

I would've just got a second hand one tbh though lol.

RE: Project Beat a GTi6 - Niall - 20-09-2013

Original gti cat is about £380 so thats stupidly expensive unless they have one of them silly twin cat things (doubt it at that age)

RE: Project Beat a GTi6 - Jimmyboycheck - 20-09-2013

when I came past you on the straight at combe I thought you had broken down Smile. I seriously think you need more power than 170 to beat a six. what is the torque figures does it have a six speed box?

RE: Project Beat a GTi6 - lolsteve - 20-09-2013

(20-09-2013, 04:35 PM)Niall Wrote: Original gti cat is about £380 so thats stupidly expensive unless they have one of them silly twin cat things (doubt it at that age)

It has a cat on the manifold and another one afterwards like a normal exhaust system

(20-09-2013, 05:57 PM)Jimmyboycheck Wrote: when I came past you on the straight at combe I thought you had broken down Smile. I seriously think you need more power than 170 to beat a six. what is the torque figures does it have a six speed box?

Nope, not broken down was giving it the beans Sad
a gti6 is 167 isn't it? and with the lighter weight of the zr shell and the close ratio gearbox they apparently have it should make up for the non 6 speed box.
Power curve
http://www.mgf.ultimatemg.com/group2/engines/images/160ps_powercurve.jpg

Procta leave the zr shell alone Tongue we don't all want to crumple up into a tin can when we crash *cough* metro *cough*

RE: Project Beat a GTi6 - Jimmyboycheck - 20-09-2013

Imo gearbox ratio plays a big part. I think you need to look at a 6 speed conversion plus power or a fair bit of power alone around the 200 mark

RE: Project Beat a GTi6 - Anton - 20-09-2013

Do they have a close ratio box? I had the same engine in a Coupe and it wasnt.

1st=40mph
2nd=70mph
3rd=100mph
4th=125mph