306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum
MG ZR: Cams & Maps - Printable Version

+- 306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Other Marques (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+--- Forum: Projects (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Thread: MG ZR: Cams & Maps (/showthread.php?tid=14360)

RE: Project get back 20bhp or get HGF trying - lolsteve - 14-05-2014

Can always put it in my Zr Tongue That's a nice power figure though
Gainsborough aint far from ladysteve, shame I'm leaving the north soon Sad

Update:
These arrived today, 4 degree offset dowels to advance the timing not as aggressive as some people use but hopefully will counter the vvcs retarded stock timing.
[Image: 15plgs3.jpg]

RE: Project get back 20bhp or get HGF trying - Danny2009 - 14-05-2014

Your leaving the north? Traitor lol

Let us know if the dowels make any difference be nice to get the ponies back

RE: Project get back 20bhp or get HGF trying - lolsteve - 16-05-2014

My time is here is done, my home planet needs me haha
Going to try and fit them up here while I still got the uni house so will hopefully let you know soon. Not sure if to fit Fo exhaust cam as well even though its the standard unit

RE: Project get back 20bhp or get HGF trying - Niall - 02-06-2014

Just seen this on the 6 forum. Sorry Steve, your rover isn't appreciated lol

Quote:306oc has a good line up... apart from the MG ZR..

RE: Project get back 20bhp or get HGF trying - lolsteve - 02-06-2014

lol bahahaha
at least they didn't call it a rover

RE: Project get back 20bhp or get HGF trying - procta - 02-06-2014

id still say its a heavy posh rover,

RE: Project get back 20bhp or get HGF trying - 306Dan - 02-06-2014

very heavy posh rover with all those bolt on shiney bits

RE: Project get back 20bhp or get HGF trying - procta - 02-06-2014

what steve needs is a proper rover, but he isn't man enough, I think the 306 is too hard core for him too, so he decided to get a posh rover, isn't that right steve Tongue

RE: Project get back 20bhp or get HGF trying - THE_Liam - 02-06-2014

I've always fancied a P6 3500S...

Project get back 20bhp or get HGF trying - devils_fuel - 02-06-2014

(02-06-2014, 08:54 PM)THE_Liam Wrote: I've always fancied a P6 3500S...

That or a SD1 v8 Smile

Re: RE: Project get back 20bhp or get HGF trying - THE_Liam - 02-06-2014

(02-06-2014, 09:05 PM)devils_fuel Wrote:
(02-06-2014, 08:54 PM)THE_Liam Wrote: I've always fancied a P6 3500S...

That or a SD1 v8 Smile

My old man had an SD1 and it wasn't a patch on the P6, not as pretty, velour and plastic instead of leather and wood, live axle rear instead of De Dion tube...

True but I jut remember that sound, the v8 sounded better in the SD1 than the p6.

Love a mk2 jaguar though, such a beast !!!

Re: RE: Project get back 20bhp or get HGF trying - THE_Liam - 02-06-2014

(02-06-2014, 09:16 PM)devils_fuel Wrote: True but I jut remember that sound, the v8 sounded better in the SD1 than the p6.

Love a mk2 jaguar though, such a beast !!!

Did it? Same engine...

Mk2s are awesome, proper 60's gangster cars! I keep getting very tempted by early 90's XJ6s...

Yeah ever so slightly, more of a meatier sound in the SD1, only realised it at a classic show but all cars sound different even with the same engine lol

Yeah proper gangster cars, love one but couldn't afford to look after it as it deserves to be Sad.

Any pics of the XJ, there's a 2dr XJ near me, it's been tuned by TWR Smile

RE: Project get back 20bhp or get HGF trying - THE_Liam - 02-06-2014

When I'm on my laptop I can, but Google X300 3.2 Sport Wink

RE: Project get back 20bhp or get HGF trying - Poodle - 03-06-2014

(02-06-2014, 08:01 PM)procta Wrote: what steve needs is a proper rover, but he isn't man enough, I think the 306 is too hard core for him too, so he decided to get a posh rover, isn't that right steve Tongue

You mean he can't find any that haven't rotted into the ground or shit their hg everywhere. Wink That made me laugh in Europe actually, everyone over there is a lot more brand loyal to the national manufacturers, but you still see a good spread of cars from pretty much every major manufacturer. Except rover. We saw maybe 3 or 4 rovers in the whole 8 days and 2200 miles, all but one of which had english plates, the foreign-plater being a MG ZR funnily enough. They'll be seen driving a renault twizy, but a rover is another proposition altogether. Rofl

RE: Project get back 20bhp or get HGF trying - Ruan - 03-06-2014

It's a well known law, no matter how powerful your car is... Even if you're driving a Ferrari F430, you *WILL* have a clapped out Renault Twingo up your arse, flashing you to get out the way...

Project get back 20bhp or get HGF trying - devils_fuel - 03-06-2014

Too true Ruan lol

RE: Project get back 20bhp or get HGF trying - procta - 03-06-2014

(03-06-2014, 05:54 AM)Poodle Wrote:
(02-06-2014, 08:01 PM)procta Wrote: what steve needs is a proper rover, but he isn't man enough, I think the 306 is too hard core for him too, so he decided to get a posh rover, isn't that right steve Tongue

You mean he can't find any that haven't rotted into the ground or shit their hg everywhere. Wink That made me laugh in Europe actually, everyone over there is a lot more brand loyal to the national manufacturers, but you still see a good spread of cars from pretty much every major manufacturer. Except rover. We saw maybe 3 or 4 rovers in the whole 8 days and 2200 miles, all but one of which had english plates, the foreign-plater being a MG ZR funnily enough. They'll be seen driving a renault twizy, but a rover is another proposition altogether. Rofl

I think any rover that is out side of the uk, will be scrapped sadly, as they are harder to get the bits for. my cousin has a rover street wise thing, and he cannot get any rover bits at all for that out in Germany.

RE: Project get back 20bhp or get HGF trying - Poodle - 04-06-2014

Sure they are, nothing to do with them being piles of junk. lol

RE: Project get back 20bhp or get HGF trying - lolsteve - 05-06-2014

*cough* enough slandering Tongue

Update:
Janspeed 4-2-1 manifold is on along with a mash up of decat pipe/original cat with a big thank you to Samass and Jonny8541861864.
Quite raspy at the moment, although that could be down to the minor blow in the system and the front lambda isn't connected up due to wire length restrictions.
Luckily the weather held off long enough to get it finished in the pitch black

Having looked in the original manifold can see that the welds were horrific and very restrictive so wouldn't be surprised if that was holding back some of the stock power

quality welds
[Image: 2eandi0.jpg]
rust bucket
[Image: 241qfzb.jpg]

Cutting it fine but lambda is all wired up now *yay*
Guy who did it though cleared the warnings and told me there's two non o2 sensor codes *boo*

Codes P1520 & P1522. Apparently P1520 is an earth fault that loads of them have and can be ignored since it's something to do with the mgf having an oil temp sensor but the zr doesn't
P1522 is tricky though since apparently it's down to the same thing according to MGRover

"During various diagnostic routines, the fault flag P1520 and P1522 may appear.

P1520 - Oil gallery Temp fault
P1522 - Unknown fault code.

This condition is due to the same T4 software being used for the MGF VVC models.
Unlike the MGF VVC the MGZR 160 and Rover GTi does not have an oil temp sensor fitted. The software looks for the presence of this sensor and produces a fault code when it can not locate it.

Please advise all technicians using testbook/T4 to ignore this message if it appears"

But others on forums are saying it's the vvc solenoid and could still be a problem..
Bloody rovers

RE: Project get back 20bhp or get HGF trying - Poodle - 05-06-2014

Tbh from what i've heard from you about some of the bs on the rover forums, i'd be inclined to believe the manufacturer over them. We could always check the operation of the vvc solenoid after the weekend if it's accessible.

RE: Project get back 20bhp or get HGF trying - Piggy - 05-06-2014

So still guna brave the track then? Even with that slight coolant leak? Wink

Db level guna be ok for combe?

Probably right about the rover forums, just wish they were a bit more useful like the 306 one

Still want to brave the track, myself and others have put a fair bit of effort in to get it ready...just like you say I'm worried about the dB with the chronic blowing exhaust. It's getting tracked tomorrow so might beg the man to let me put on a gasket while it's up in the air

RE: Project get back 20bhp or get HGF trying - procta - 05-06-2014

(05-06-2014, 06:06 PM)Poodle Wrote: Tbh from what i've heard from you about some of the bs on the rover forums, i'd be inclined to believe the manufacturer over them. We could always check the operation of the vvc solenoid after the weekend if it's accessible.

poodle, that's why i stopped using rover forums years ago and started to talk to people who race rovers, The mount of shite that's on forums is unreal!
i nearly binned my gta due to it all a while ago! as i kept getting mixed and conflicting info. Even the racers stay clear of the forums too!
So i am off the rover forums now, only one i am is the metro owners forum, which they are more into the classic status now. Plus i have shared my stuff, ie how to remove and fit things, so other metro users can use it.

got mine to fit too steve, but i will have to wait till the car is back up and running, and a few things ironed out.

RE: Project get back 20bhp or get HGF trying - Poodle - 06-06-2014

Can't blame you, some of the "wisdom" Steve has received is full on retarded. Rolleyes

Have fun at Combe dude, we'll have to look at getting it fixed later in the month.

RE: Project get back 20bhp or get HGF trying - procta - 07-06-2014

(06-06-2014, 05:47 AM)Poodle Wrote: Can't blame you, some of the "wisdom" Steve has received is full on retarded. Rolleyes

Have fun at Combe dude, we'll have to look at getting it fixed later in the month.

I have been helping him behind the scenes, as I don't want anyone going through what I went through!
best one was the uj gearlinkage mod, now one fool said to cut the welded one off, and bolt the replacement on in place, now whats going to happen when you give the gears abit of work out?? The bolt is going to fail! hence why the end was welded on in the 1st place!

RE: Project get back 20bhp or get HGF trying - lolsteve - 10-06-2014

The rover forums do sadden me with how useless they are but like Procta has said some individuals (himself included) have been helpful.

After combe I'm beginning to get more happy with the power, as a yorkshireman said "i'd put money on it being as fast as a 6' " or something along those lines lol
Now to focus on the handling aka not nankangs on 17s and fix the chronic oil leak.

In regards to the leak I came across someone mentioning the under bonnet temps can wreck the rocker and cam carrier seals so will be heat wrapping the manifold and working on the seals.
The front brake reaction bars/tie bars will be polybushed either superflex or powerflex as this apparently helps. Will also home make a rear strut brace as was going to do it months ago but never go past taking some measurements
Hopefully these handling modifications will help with it comes to pugfest on the twisty hill climb.

Finally I still have the offset dowels to advance the timing along with the tools to do so, just want to be 100% it's not going to smash valves or loose me power. Just a shame there's once again very little information out there

RE: Project get back 20bhp or get HGF trying - THE_Liam - 10-06-2014

And I was that Yorkshireman! And those Nankangs were wank lol