306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum
MG ZR: Cams & Maps - Printable Version

+- 306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Other Marques (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+--- Forum: Projects (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Thread: MG ZR: Cams & Maps (/showthread.php?tid=14360)

RE: Project Beat a GTi6 - Sian - 12-10-2013

(12-10-2013, 06:29 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: LOL, defo gonna beat a GTi6 with 145bhp

lol

RE: Project Beat a GTi6 - Arron - 12-10-2013

This car makes an epic induction noise but yea... something is obviously amiss.

RE: Project Beat a GTi6 - Piggy - 12-10-2013

why again is it high on compression? rekon its been skimmed and wrong gasket put on?

RE: Project Beat a GTi6 - martyn92 - 12-10-2013

(12-10-2013, 08:47 PM)Arron Wrote: This car makes an epic induction noise but yea... something is obviously amiss.

Must say it did sound good when it got going! Something is out though which is a shame

RE: Project Beat a GTi6 - lolsteve - 12-10-2013

(12-10-2013, 06:29 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: LOL, defo gonna beat a GTi6 with 145bhp
fk off dumdum lol It'll get sorted

(12-10-2013, 08:47 PM)Arron Wrote: This car makes an epic induction noise but yea... something is obviously amiss.
Thanks man, now get the videos up Tongue
(12-10-2013, 08:49 PM)Piggy Wrote: why again is it high on compression? rekon its been skimmed and wrong gasket put on?
Skimmed and no repair gasket thing or badly timed exhaust cam. Suppose I could whip off the cambelt cover see if there's any visible timing marks or whatever

(12-10-2013, 08:49 PM)martyn92 Wrote:

Must say it did sound good when it got going! Something is out though which is a shame
Thanks man , someone had to fight for the perv offensive lol although the saxo beat the nad van
Yours pulled well, was it was you was hoping for ?

RE: Project Beat a GTi6 - procta - 12-10-2013

steve you sorted the throttle body? as that will be killing your bhp.

RE: Project Beat a GTi6 - lolsteve - 12-10-2013

Yes & No. Forgot to mention that had a chat with dyno guys and they said they did some work with a vvc so had some parts spare. Gave me a exhaust cam, half an inlet cam, some long thing and a 52mm throttle for free Big Grin so chuffed, just needs fitting now plus the rubber bit from where the breather filter is.

RE: Project Beat a GTi6 - DazzaHDI - 12-10-2013

Put a 620 ti In it Smile will beat a 6 then Tongue

RE: Project Beat a GTi6 - Curt - 12-10-2013

Really hope you can prove everyone wrong and show some '6s up with this!

RE: Project Beat a GTi6 - Dum-Dum - 13-10-2013

(12-10-2013, 09:16 PM)lolsteve Wrote: ....Forgot to mention that had a chat with dyno guys and they .... had some parts spare. Gave me a ........ 52mm throttle for free Big Grin

God, how small is it as standard? The GTi6 throttle body is 60mm.

Id be porting out the throttle body housing and knife edging the butterfly along with slimming down the throttle shaft and screws.

RE: Project Beat a GTi6 - Poodle - 13-10-2013

Such a dum-dum response! Rofl

Good result on the freebies at least lol, you going to fit the throttle body amd see what happens?

RE: Project Beat a GTi6 - lolsteve - 13-10-2013

(12-10-2013, 09:21 PM)DazzaHDI Wrote: Put a 620 ti In it Smile will beat a 6 then Tongue
Standard engine should be enough to beat a gti6, want it running properly first before really messing
(12-10-2013, 10:21 PM)Curt Wrote: Really hope you can prove everyone wrong and show some '6s up with this!
Me too Sad show up them 2.0 litre displaced bastards

(13-10-2013, 08:36 AM)Dum-Dum Wrote: God, how small is it as standard? The GTi6 throttle body is 60mm.
Id be porting out the throttle body housing and knife edging the butterfly along with slimming down the throttle shaft and screws.
How big is the 1.8 throttle body? bigger isn't always better although I wouldn't expect the 2.2 hdi guy to understand lol
(13-10-2013, 09:36 AM)Poodle Wrote: Such a dum-dum response! Rofl

Good result on the freebies at least lol, you going to fit the throttle body amd see what happens?

Exactly, the freebies pretty much paid for the day Big Grin And I've wanted a cam for the room for age, so people know I am racecar!

RE: Project Beat a GTi6 - jammapic - 13-10-2013

Bigger throttle body, as long it's set up right - is always better tho!

RE: Project Beat a GTi6 - Dum-Dum - 13-10-2013

(13-10-2013, 11:35 AM)lolsteve Wrote:
(13-10-2013, 08:36 AM)Dum-Dum Wrote: God, how small is it as standard? The GTi6 throttle body is 60mm.
How big is the 1.8 throttle body? bigger isn't always better although I wouldn't expect the 2.2 hdi guy to understand lol

The 2.0 XSi one is 40mm ish and fitting the bigger GTi6 one increases power. In fact with petrol engine tuning fitting a bigger throttle body is often done to increase top end power. This is also why people fit individual throttle bodies for larger throttle area, thus less resistance and thus more power. Obviously only makes gains if the throttle body is the most restrictive part of the inlet tract but it often is. The only down side is low end drive ability as tiny openings give a massive amount of air.

As such bigger throttle body is better.

RE: Project Beat a GTi6 - procta - 13-10-2013

good stuff for the freebees, and thats a really good shout on the 52mm throttle body.

RE: Project Beat a GTi6 - lolsteve - 13-10-2013

Fitted the 52mm today, it's a lot easier to push the throttle pedal now but feels like less torque. maybe the ecu needs some time to adjust.

Project Beat a GTi6 - Alee83 - 13-10-2013

Wonder if you should have disconnected the battery!!?

RE: Project Beat a GTi6 - jammapic - 13-10-2013

Sure fire way to lose some power Smile

RE: Project Beat a GTi6 - lolsteve - 16-10-2013

Starting to wonder if it was a 56mm on there before, it doesn't look like other ones on ebay and I can't find any part numbers. Weird.

Got some vibe slick 6's to go in now £15 new from Halfords, wouldn't normally do my ICE shopping there but can't argue for the money. Took a door card off today to see if it would be a straight swap, alas it wasn't but turns out there is pioneers in there already. Odd considering they sound so weak. Mdf rings have been ordered which has saved me a few quid over the adapter plates (£2.10 vs £9.40)

Tomorrow it's going into rstuning for them to have a looksee about this compression and messed up torque graph. However the neighbours advice of put a new engine in or get rid quick while it's still working was always a delight and made me think this was the previous owners thought pattern too.

Also need to get a body shop to take care of the rust patch by the aerial before this weather gets in there and makes things worse Sad money money money

RE: Project Beat a GTi6 - procta - 16-10-2013

if your unsure about the throttle body, send me a photo and i will compare it to mine.

RE: Project Beat a GTi6 - lolsteve - 17-10-2013

I'll grab a photo ina bit Smile

Update:
Taken to RStuning today where they did a compression test and 3 runs on the dyno. They got compression values of 220psi across the pistons and after a quick look on some forums they said it was okay

After the rolling road they admitted the timing felt a bit out. They asked what fuel I run to which my reply of "Asda fuel with sometimes some shell" didn't go down well and was told the Asda fuel will be messing the timing slighty.

In fact having another look on the graph now shows a constant torque line but no real growth when the vvc should kick in, instead it starts to drop after a small bump.

RE: Project Beat a GTi6 - samass - 17-10-2013

so gunna try running it on some proper fuel then?

RE: Project Beat a GTi6 - Midnightclub - 17-10-2013

I really can't see some higher octane fuel giving it 20hp.. or even 5hp tbh

RE: Project Beat a GTi6 - jammapic - 17-10-2013

Think you've got a problem there. wobbley torque and a drop off where the VVC should kick in....

JP

RE: Project Beat a GTi6 - Poodle - 17-10-2013

Oh dear, could that be vvc issues..? Fuel will make a difference, especially on an engine that highly tuned from the factory, not 20bhp though as dannys says lol.

RE: Project Beat a GTi6 (140bhp & wobbly torque) - Mattcheese31 - 17-10-2013

never mind a 6, my Dtractor would knock that into a cocked hat atm . . .Wink x

RE: Project Beat a GTi6 (140bhp & wobbly torque) - jammapic - 17-10-2013

The blue line on this, is a stock GTi, with an exhaust and the air filter I gave you....

[Image: Results_zps8956d112.jpg]

RE: Project Beat a GTi6 (140bhp & wobbly torque) - lolsteve - 17-10-2013

Yea really don't think fuel will make up 20bhp but I'll start putting it back in, I don't do many miles anyway so the price shouldn't sting for too long.
Really not sure if it's vvc or what, been trying to compare all sorts of graphs. standard and modified
From what I can gather the standard torque is 170nm which converts to 125lb/ft but looking at someone elses dyno results shows they got 149bhp and 135lbft with
CDA Air Filter
52mm Thottle Body
Janspeed Back Box
MG Zr TD Centre Pipe (straight through)
Lotus Elise Large Bore Janspeed Manifold (modded to suit Rover)

Most of which I have bar the elise manifold and centre pipe, however the thread goes on to have everyone say the decat plus his manifold is what is loosing him power.
http://forums.mg-rover.org/showthread.php?t=284280

Matt at the moment I really don't doubt it and you'd still get double my mpg however when I have this running right however there will be some fun times ahead Big Grin

So the gti6 without any vvc system doesn't start loosing torque til about 6-6.5k whereas mine is loosing at 5-5.5k and then even before that it hardly went up...Argghh
Thanks again for the air filter by the way, as people have said it's making a nice induction noise now Tongue

RE: Project Beat a GTi6 (140bhp & wobbly torque) - Dum-Dum - 17-10-2013

I'd defo agree with VVC issues. Comparing it to the dyno graphs for my second cabby the AFR is about the same but there is a definite hump in your graph when the VVC should kick in then it carry's on building at the same rate as before.

Id be putting some effort into testing the VVC system before further tuning the car as for the power to be THAT low there is definitely a fault

Project Beat a GTi6 (140bhp & wobbly torque) - devils_fuel - 17-10-2013

It sounds like the VVC system is a complicated system from what I've just read, I don't envy you Steve.

http://www.touchepower.talktalk.net/VVC_Timing.htm

Are you able to re-rolling road the car but the only variable change would be putting your old carb back on, from you are saying since the carb change you may have gone smaller