306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum
MG ZR: Cams & Maps - Printable Version

+- 306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Other Marques (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+--- Forum: Projects (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Thread: MG ZR: Cams & Maps (/showthread.php?tid=14360)

RE: Project Beat a GTi6 - procta - 06-10-2013

(06-10-2013, 01:39 PM)lolsteve Wrote: Very highly strung, but I'll be dammed if I won't try and get more out of it Big Grin
Been looking into reprofiled vvc cams, apparently there's a company in kent doing it
http://forums.mg-rover.org/showthread.php?t=459823&page=3
Wouldn't be cheap but holds onto the vvc mech, however it won't be done until the current engine is running right Sad

Would like to fix this block first, because if I do decide to swap out the lump I can then get a pretty penny for the vvc block

get every thing ironed out 1st before you start upgrading stuff. also id watch it buying second hand vvc engines aswell, I was sold a dud!

RE: Project Beat a GTi6 - lolsteve - 08-10-2013

Wouldn't need a full engine though? Couldn't I just get a replacement head, was having a look on ebay last night and you can buy refurbed heads that are all timed up ready to go. Of course I'd prefer if I didn't have to fork out for a £300 head or whatever Sad

Things to do list
- Contact rstuning see if they can book me in for a look over *done*
- Get rust patch by aerial sorted before gets any worse
- Find whats causing creaking noise
- Shout at car
- Apologise to car
- Get a 52mm throttle
- Get dyno'd
- Wonder why I'm spending money on this car
- G out for a drive and fall in love again

RE: Project Beat a GTi6 - mr_fish - 08-10-2013

liking the 'to do list'

lol

RE: Project Beat a GTi6 - Poodle - 09-10-2013

Dude, never repair something before selling unless you can do it for free, otherwise you'll never make your money back. If you're keeping the engine drash on though. Big Grin

When you going t rstuning?

RE: Project Beat a GTi6 - lolsteve - 09-10-2013

(09-10-2013, 06:31 AM)Poodle Wrote: Dude, never repair something before selling unless you can do it for free, otherwise you'll never make your money back. If you're keeping the engine drash on though. Big Grin

When you going t rstuning?

Thing is..can't think of any other car I'd rather have in my price range (apart from a mk2 zr). I know it was meant to be a summer play thing but now I see some potential in it and it's a bit different to the standard array of track day hatchbacks.
Maybe when I get a job I'll realise I don't have time for it anymore but for now I say bah to that idea lol

Nothing booked yet, I tried phoning them and their automated thing said email them so I've emailed them and waiting for a response. Jammapic has spoken to them as well so should save me the trouble of explaining with limited knowledge haha

RE: Project Beat a GTi6 - jammapic - 09-10-2013

Steve, Paul (the owner) is in Malaysia doing some mapping at the moment for a few race teams. That's probably why you've got the automated line.

Try them today as Specky should be around.

JP

Ooo fancy, I'll wait around for a bit see if I get an email as don't want to come across as pushy Smile

RE: Project Beat a GTi6 - Arron - 09-10-2013

Steve.

Firstly.. Nice project. I know a lad who has a yellow one with reg MG51 ZRG. He loves the thing, spent a lot of money on maintenance
Secondly.. Are you attending on saturday?

(09-10-2013, 11:18 AM)Arron Wrote: spent a lot of money on maintenance

Does not surprise me lol
thanks though Smile and yea still going, curious to know what condition the engines in. Any idea on a pre meet?

RE: Project Beat a GTi6 - Poodle - 09-10-2013

I meant don't bother repairing the engine if you're going to change it for another lump or upgrade. Kind of glad to see you'll be keeping it actually lol.

Ah right fair enough, I really don't think I'll be getting round to an engine swap any time soon just because of time/money. Would rather having it running as it should be for now and in time when things allow for it then I'll be going ahead with whatever modifications I've been looking into ninja
Does that mean you ..like it then? Tongue

RE: Project Beat a GTi6 - Poodle - 10-10-2013

Like is a strong word... :p

RE: Project Beat a GTi6 - procta - 10-10-2013

(08-10-2013, 03:05 PM)lolsteve Wrote: Wouldn't need a full engine though? Couldn't I just get a replacement head, was having a look on ebay last night and you can buy refurbed heads that are all timed up ready to go. Of course I'd prefer if I didn't have to fork out for a £300 head or whatever Sad

Things to do list
- Contact rstuning see if they can book me in for a look over *done*
- Get rust patch by aerial sorted before gets any worse
- Find whats causing creaking noise
- Shout at car
- Apologise to car
- Get a 52mm throttle
- Get dyno'd
- Wonder why I'm spending money on this car
- G out for a drive and fall in love again

you wont know untill you get the old head off, and see what the crac is,
my old lump, i couldnt even get the head off, the lady garden who had it before me, chewed a head bolt. so i wasnt going to f*ck about trying to get that out!

RE: Project Beat a GTi6 - lolsteve - 11-10-2013

Mmmm if I take the head off will the sump drop off since the long bolts hold the whole lot together right? Just wondering if got a recon head ( if its head) could I do it on driveway without the whole block falling apart .
Sucks you got done over by that guy , hurts the rover community

RE: Project Beat a GTi6 - Arron - 11-10-2013

Put a jack under the sump?

RE: Project Beat a GTi6 - Toms306 - 11-10-2013

Wait....I've never heard of head bolts holding the sump on as well!? Who thought that would be a good idea!? Confused

RE: Project Beat a GTi6 - jammapic - 11-10-2013

Lol.

Come on.

The head bolts hold the head, block and the main bearing (crank) together.

The sump just has normal bolts, gasket etc.

JP

JP

Thought it was like this, because the bolt channels also allow oil through them as well ?

Edit: Went full retard, just watched a documentary video on the k series. didn't mean the sump meant the bottom part

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8f8NfAfqev0

RE: Project Beat a GTi6 - Sian - 11-10-2013

Its an mg. it will die before you get chance to beat a 6.. lol

RE: Project Beat a GTi6 - mr_fish - 11-10-2013

RE: Project Beat a GTi6 - procta - 11-10-2013

(11-10-2013, 10:36 AM)lolsteve Wrote: Mmmm if I take the head off will the sump drop off since the long bolts hold the whole lot together right? Just wondering if got a recon head ( if its head) could I do it on driveway without the whole block falling apart .
Sucks you got done over by that guy , hurts the rover community

no but dont move the car, as i think there is somthing that keeps the oil rail or somthing in place.

Yea that's the kind of thing I meant, just had a dumb moment Sad Wouldn't want to move the bottom and unalign anything

RE: Project Beat a GTi6 - Toms306 - 11-10-2013

Oh I see now, still a pretty crap design tbh! Whats wrong with two sets of shorter bolts like most engines! Confused

Project Beat a GTi6 - devils_fuel - 12-10-2013

(11-10-2013, 06:40 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I see now, still a pretty crap design tbh! Whats wrong with two sets of shorter bolts like most engines! Confused

Laterally stronger I guess ?

RE: Project Beat a GTi6 - lolsteve - 12-10-2013

Dyno day results:
145bhp (15 loss)
121lbs/ft

The torque curve is waaayyy sketchy though
Good day though Smile

RE: Project Beat a GTi6 - Piggy - 12-10-2013

oh.
what do you put bhp loss down to?

just worn engine?!

RE: Project Beat a GTi6 - jammapic - 12-10-2013

What's happening there mate is the ECU is pulling all of the timing out as it's knocking its balls off due to the super high compression.

You can see the ECU keep trying to put timing back in when the torque rises, then again, knock so it pulls it back.

JP

RE: Project Beat a GTi6 - 306Dan - 12-10-2013

You might need to change the bottom oil rail when you take the head off as they're only good for 3 uses, but I've had them go on 2 if a cheapo one's been fitted iirc they're not a bad price from rimmer's complete with gasket

RE: Project Beat a GTi6 - Dum-Dum - 12-10-2013

LOL, defo gonna beat a GTi6 with 145bhp

RE: Project Beat a GTi6 - Tom - 12-10-2013

Try running it on Vpower.