306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum
Fitting a rear spoiler... (Pics inside) - Printable Version

+- 306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: 306 Repairs & Mods (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Forum: Interior, Exterior, ICE (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Fitting a rear spoiler... (Pics inside) (/showthread.php?tid=12168)

Fitting a rear spoiler... (Pics inside) - silestanix - 23-03-2013

I've had this spoiler for ages and due to the lack of boot mounted ones rather than glass mounted ones, I decided to get my trusty dremel out and cut the mounting bolts...Pics below:

[Image: DSC_0449_zpse5633da5.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0090_zps3e4cd3dc.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0453_zps24c4cb01.jpg]

I placed it on the car...and somehow it stayed for a few seconds so I could grab a picture lol:

[Image: DSC_0455_zpsd2f1bfc1.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0456_zps0c76676c.jpg]

...Question is, what would I use to mount it? I've heard of Tiger-something...All that comes to mind is Tiger Balm lol, anyone know what type of glue to use and the name...?

Cheers...!

Harry

RE: Fitting a rear spoiler... - Danny2009 - 23-03-2013

Tiger seal mate make sure it's sat nice before you let it set though because it won't be coming back off in a hurry Smile

RE: Fitting a rear spoiler... - JamesG - 23-03-2013

tiger seal and masking tape on a nice day which youll be waiting a while for Tongue!

RE: Fitting a rear spoiler... - silestanix - 23-03-2013

(23-03-2013, 05:02 PM)Danny2009 Wrote: Tiger seal mate make sure it's sat nice before you let it set though because it won't be coming back off in a hurry Smile

(23-03-2013, 05:07 PM)JamesG Wrote: tiger seal and masking tape on a nice day which youll be waiting a while for Tongue!

Haha true say that...It's bleedin snowing down here and won't stop...so much for days off modding the 306... :\

Thanks guys, Tiger Seal & Masking tape...Masking tape to keep the spoiler in place right?

What's the best way to make sure the spoiler is set properly fellas...? Gonna put up a project thread...and copy + paste my content from .net lol.

*edit - what colour Tiger Seal would I be looking at...?*

RE: Fitting a rear spoiler... (Pics inside) - Eeyore - 23-03-2013

get the black stuff?

Fitting a rear spoiler... (Pics inside) - JamesG - 23-03-2013

Yea the masking tape is to hold it in place pal and yes the black stuff Wink

RE: Fitting a rear spoiler... (Pics inside) - silestanix - 24-03-2013

(23-03-2013, 11:57 PM)SRowell Wrote: get the black stuff?

(23-03-2013, 11:58 PM)JamesG Wrote: Yea the masking tape is to hold it in place pal and yes the black stuff Wink

Cheers guys, Black Tiger Seal + Masking tape...will hopefully do that on Friday next week...with weather like this I wish I had a garage instead of a 2nd lounge... :|

It's nuts how much difference the spoiler makes to a 306's appearance...such a difference when I look at pics without it...! Exclamation

RE: Fitting a rear spoiler... (Pics inside) - WiNgNuTz - 24-03-2013

Be aware though, when you take the masking tape off, wet it first otherwise you could pull the lacquer off the paintwork, like i did:

[Image: AC547D15-orig.jpg]

Sad

I should add that the spoiler fell off before this pic was taken....the tiger seal set, but didnt bond to the spoiler properly. Double fail.

RE: Fitting a rear spoiler... (Pics inside) - silestanix - 24-03-2013

Haha ahhh ouch mate! Feel ya pain there...picture full of fail Sad .

I've found some instructions on the internet, I'll post it here:

Instructions on the Internet namely from 106moaners.co.uk Wrote:Firstly, you ideally need 2 pairs of hands.

Now this is not essential but will make it easier for a first timer. Buy a roll of 2" wide masking tape from any DIY shop. A cheap brand is fine.

Decide just where you want the spoiler and cover that area with a layer of masking tape.

Get your 2nd pair of hands to hold the spoiler down into position while you give it the eyeball from various angles to get it positioned correctly. Once you are sure it is exactly right, get a pencil or biro and carefully draw around each part that is in actual contact with the car.

Lift the spoiler off and you will have your 'template'. With a single edged razor blade or a sharp craft knife carefully, slowly and lightly cut through the tape exactly over your drawn lines and peel off the areas inside those lines.

Turning the spoiler upside down apply a coating of Tigerseal about 3mm thick to the flat contact sections (the bits that you drew around) then with the help of your 2nd pair of hands, and with the spoiler adhesive side down of course, lower the spoiler down exactly into/onto the areas you cut out of the masking tape.

With the 2 of you working a side apiece, gently press the spoiler down into position, wiggling it slightly as you go. Once it appears to be steady with all support areas in contact and it looks correctly positioned, leave it alone to set.

You will have a bead of excess adhesive that has been squeezed out all around the bottom of the spoiler - if you have correctly positioned the spoiler this bead will be sitting on masking tape not on your paintwork. Leave it for about 30 minutes then carefully wet the masking tape, trim it back and remove it.

I would leave the spoiler for 2 or 3 hours before you remove the masking tape, when removing the tape do it slowly and carefully as you dont want to disturb the spoiler.

Ideally you should leave the spoiler for about 12 hours before driving the vehicle.. The tigerseal sets to a stiffish rubbery constistency which absorbs vibrations yet is very tenacious.

Seems about right init? Huh

RE: Fitting a rear spoiler... (Pics inside) - gareth7 - 24-03-2013

sounds about right........but if you're doing it outdoors bear in mind adhesives will take longer to cure fully if it's cold.

RE: Fitting a rear spoiler... (Pics inside) - Daniel306 - 24-03-2013

Thats why i use sika flex

RE: Fitting a rear spoiler... (Pics inside) - Piggy - 24-03-2013

good little link their...nice one

RE: Fitting a rear spoiler... (Pics inside) - silestanix - 25-03-2013

(24-03-2013, 05:34 AM)gareth7 Wrote: sounds about right........but if you're doing it outdoors bear in mind adhesives will take longer to cure fully if it's cold.

(24-03-2013, 10:21 AM)Daniel306 Wrote: Thats why i use sika flex

Cheers guys, currently weighing up which one to use, either Tiger Seal or SikaFlex...

(24-03-2013, 01:46 PM)Piggy Wrote: good little link their...nice one

Cheers mate...

Gonna start a project thread soon, including a mod relating to the TMIC that I did years ago which had proven minor gains courtesy a guy on .net using temp probs... Big Grin

RE: Fitting a rear spoiler... (Pics inside) - silestanix - 30-03-2013

Just an update on this, managed to get some Sika Flex from Euro car parts for £9.98 haha, gonna fit my spoiler later on today...wish me luck...hope I don't naff it up lmao...plenty of masking tape, and will reverse the car into the little shelter near my home's front window so I can fit the spoiler, leave the boot open to keep the spoiler in place, put loads of masking tape down...and if I'm still not confident it'll stay put then I'ma drill 2x small 3-4mm holes on each side and fit some screws through the boot itself...

RE: Fitting a rear spoiler... (Pics inside) - silestanix - 30-03-2013

So, I have tried to (and yet to see the end result of) fit my spoiler earlier this afternoon...In pictures...:

Spoiler & other bits inc Sika-Flex...

[Image: DSC_0467_zpsb3460316.jpg]

Sika-Flex...woo!

[Image: DSC_0468_zps023ed5d6.jpg]

And the spoiler fitted and Masking-Taped down in place...

[Image: DSC_0473_zps2ec877f5.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0474_zpsb45ed0fb.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0475_zpsbef50262.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0472_zps90c07dc8.jpg]

...Finger Crossed...it will hopefully be somewhat even and straight lol...shall see tomorrow...!

Also, When I pressed the spoiler to the boot, there was a bit of excess sika-flex...I've wiped most of it away but I've left some which looked like it was part of the join. If I need to remove the excess afterwards how would I go about removing it...?

RE: Fitting a rear spoiler... (Pics inside) - maxlee - 08-04-2013

as above tiger seal i have fitted some 106 quicksilver arches back on with it and never come back off Smile