306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum
Hosepipe ban EA!! - Printable Version

+- 306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: General (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: The Couch (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Hosepipe ban EA!! (/showthread.php?tid=2177)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Re: Hosepipe ban EA!! - Niall - 13-03-2012

silverzx Wrote:
mark_airey Wrote:What's a bit silly, having a hosepipe ban because they are short of water?? So you think its better to carry on as everyone is without a ban and just have no water at all from around mid august until winter because it's all been used??

If you think about it you will find that its really quite sensible!

I don't think the actual bans silly I just don't see how they're going to reinforce it.. :?

Hose-pipe prevention officers? Thats what I find silly.
Enforced with a £1000 fine starting from the 5th of April.

Re: Hosepipe ban EA!! - silverzx - 13-03-2012

How do they intend to catch people though? Patrol officers around neighbourhoods?

I suppose in fairness there is already community support officers that go around neighbourhoods so they might end enforcing it.

RE: Hosepipe ban EA!! - declantg - 13-03-2012

I have never seen a CS officer near my 'hood =/ surely there is better things they can be enforcing?

Re: Hosepipe ban EA!! - Dan! - 13-03-2012

I think they rely alot on the nosey neighbours. If you live in a massive detached house with a 10ft brick wall around it and acres of land you probably wouldnt get caught.

If like me (...and most people) you live in residential area with 10+ houses overlooking your house then your bound to have a few nosey old coots who will be on the phone to the police if they see any hosepipery going on....

RE: Hosepipe ban EA!! - declantg - 13-03-2012

I have done a lot worse in my garden trust me lol

Dan! Wrote:I think they rely alot on the nosey neighbours. If you live in a massive detached house with a 10ft brick wall around it and acres of land you probably wouldnt get caught.

If like me (...and most people) you live in residential area with 10+ houses overlooking your house then your bound to have a few nosey old coots who will be on the phone to the police if they see any hosepipery going on....

This. I think last time this happened, there was a form to fill out on their website.
Also I think if your on a meter, they monitor that. If your using a lot more than everyone else in your area with same size family ect, I think they will try and catch you out that way.

Re: Hosepipe ban EA!! - declantg - 13-03-2012

Wow, some people really have nothing better to do with their lives. what benefit do they get from grassing up people?

declantg Wrote:Wow, some people really have nothing better to do with their lives. what benefit do they get from grassing up people?

[starving African charity advert] fresh drinking water without having to walk miles a day with a bucket on their head [/starving african charity advert]

I mean the old people/nosey neighbours who report it lol

Re: Hosepipe ban EA!! - ginge191 - 13-03-2012

Niall Wrote:[starving African charity advert] fresh drinking water without having to walk miles a day with a bucket on their head [/starving african charity advert]

too true!

the dryest countries on this planet even have the freedom to use hosepipes! whats happeneing there!?!?!?

Re: Hosepipe ban EA!! - studturbo - 13-03-2012

Hose-pipe prevention officers? Thats what I find silly.[/quote]
Enforced with a £1000 fine starting from the 5th of April.[/quote]

Fack that ill do without water lol

Re: Hosepipe ban EA!! - ginge191 - 13-03-2012

studturbo Wrote:Hose-pipe prevention officers? Thats what I find silly.
Enforced with a £1000 fine starting from the 5th of April.[/quote]

Fack that ill do without water lol[/quote]

would it not just be cheaper to LET people use water rather than employing people to check for the use of hose pipes which are generally out of view of the public anyway!?

most stupid thing i've ever heard - perhaps if the gov'ment would incorporate renewable water sources in new built houses this water shortage which seems to reoccur on a regular basis could be eliminated.

Re: Hosepipe ban EA!! - mark_airey - 13-03-2012

declantg Wrote:Wow, some people really have nothing better to do with their lives. what benefit do they get from grassing up people?

What they get in return is not running out of water later in summer due to inconsiderate idiots wasting it...................

i dont use that much water when i clean my car, literally a quick spray, then a spray off. Will be using more by using buckets of water

Re: Hosepipe ban EA!! - Scott - 13-03-2012

Dan! Wrote:I think they rely alot on the nosey neighbours. If you live in a massive detached house with a 10ft brick wall around it and acres of land you probably wouldnt get caught.

That will definitely be a part of it.

They will no doubt be monitoring water consumption/usage in areas to see if there is a noticeable difference between current usage when a hosepipe ban is in force, and previous years where there was a ban in force. I don't believe that there is anything in their systems to show which properties do and don't have hosepipes, so it's not like they'll be going around just checking those properties.

Re: Hosepipe ban EA!! - Toby - 13-03-2012

declantg Wrote:i dont use that much water when i clean my car, literally a quick spray, then a spray off. Will be using more by using buckets of water

I agree with this, I find their figures highly exaggerated.

They claim that washing a car with a hose pipe uses 400-480 litres of water (on average), where using buckets would be closer to 32.

This statistic must be bolstered by people who use an open ended hose with no trigger attachment on the end, and leave it running unnecessarily. I do not see how a trigger operated hose could possibly use the same amount of water equal to 6 full bath tubs while washing a car.

I fully understand the need to regulate water supplies, especially during drier periods, but why must they jump to such draconian measures. I would rather the local councils educate their residents on the importance of conserving water, and to make the use of a mist/trigger attachment mandatory while using a hose.

My thoughts anyway... Smile

I just give my car a quick spray and then turn hose off untill i need it again Smile

studturbo Wrote:I just give my car a quick spray and then turn hose off untill i need it again Smile

Exactly! i dont decide to spray everything in view and leave it running while i clean it

Its the best way cos then u dont get flooded lol

yeah, cleaned mine last weekend and while driving down the road some man sprayed the side of my car. Fuming!

Re: Hosepipe ban EA!! - Toms306 - 13-03-2012

Neighbourhood watch would definitely inforce the ban lol....

Im not saying there isnt a shortage (even though the resivior still looks just as full as normal lol), but I can't see why people cant just water more effectively rather than having to ban it. Use the hose on its lowest setting and only use it for as long as it takes to rinse the car.......but surely we all do that anyway on water meters* to save the cost!?

*If you're on rates I know you just try to use as much as possible. Tongue

Toms306 Wrote:Neighbourhood watch would definitely enforce the ban lol....

ninja

mark_airey Wrote:
Toms306 Wrote:Neighbourhood watch would definitely enforce the ban lol....

ninja

Lol, knew it didn't look right. Tongue

Toms306 Wrote:Neighbourhood watch would definitely inforce the ban lol....

Im not saying there isnt a shortage (even though the resivior still looks just as full as normal lol), but I can't see why people cant just water more effectively rather than having to ban it. Use the hose on its lowest setting and only use it for as long as it takes to rinse the car.......but surely we all do that anyway on water meters* to save the cost!?

Of course it's still full, the potential shortage is months away. If there was a shortage now and the reservoirs were looking a little low then we'd have had a hosepipe ban months ago (not that you'd be able to use it as everyone's hoses would have frozen).

It's harder to regulate usage of water by saying "only use what you need" as surely that should be the case 24/7. It's easier to ban it outright to prevent shortages, than to say "ohh guys we might start to run out if you're not careful, just use what it takes to rinse the car and we should be okay". Even if it does get banned you still have selfish people using it anyway, so they're hardly going to listen to advice by water companies to use less Smile

I don't mean to sound grumpy in saying that by the way.

Toms306 Wrote:Lol, knew it didn't look right. Tongue

I'm bored, can you tell lol

Scott Wrote:
Toms306 Wrote:Neighbourhood watch would definitely inforce the ban lol....

Of course it's still full, the potential shortage is months away. If there was a shortage now and the reservoirs were looking a little low then we'd have had a hosepipe ban months ago (not that you'd be able to use it as everyone's hoses would have frozen).

It's harder to regulate usage of water by saying "only use what you need" as surely that should be the case 24/7. It's easier to ban it outright to prevent shortages, than to say "ohh guys we might start to run out if you're not careful, just use what it takes to rinse the car and we should be okay". Even if it does get banned you still have selfish people using it anyway, so they're hardly going to listen to advice by water companies to use less Smile

I don't mean to sound grumpy in saying that by the way.

Yeah thats fair enough, I do see your point......but to put it into car terms, if you stick a tenner of fuel in and have no money for a fortnight, surely you drive more carefully to conserve the fuel rather than just booting it everywhere lol?? Well telling everyone there could be shortages would make them think aout it more surely?

Or maybe they should ration it instead.....so, for example, once a fortnight you could clean the car.... :think:

Also, I don't expect shell/bp etc will stop using thier auto car washes and the pressure washer ones?

I know what you're saying and it would be good if it could work that way, but unfortunately it doesn't. You said yourself that the reservoir looked fine, people see that and think it's all a sham or that there's nothing wrong, and the water companies are just trying to make sure they get as much money as possible for as little supply.

Companies are on different rates/systems, so they will be paying for it anyway, and it's classed as business use/need which will be different to domestic supply.

Re: Hosepipe ban EA!! - Connor - 13-03-2012

You also don't drink the water straight out the reservoir... it might be partially filtered but its certainly nowhere near ready to drink

Connor Wrote:You also don't drink the water straight out the reservoir... it might be partially filtered but its certainly nowhere near ready to drink

Well thats good then.........cos youre not allowed to swim in the res as it's full of blue/green poisonous algae....not sure I'd want to drink that!! lol

Hosepipe ban EA!! - Ed Doe - 13-03-2012

Sounds like you guys need water boreholes.... :whistles:

/shamelessplug