Veg-covered!? How to clean off?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Veg-covered!? How to clean off?
So after taking the lil'sigma on his 1200mile trip with MissTait, he was running on veg the entire journey....

Now, the rear end of the car is BLACK; i managed to clean the rear windscreen using some swarfega (it was all i had in the boot) and cleared up fairly well, but the boot and bumper is a good 2-3mm thick!?

I was thinking a plastic scraper of some sort?

And please no one tell me to jet wash it - this doesnt work Dodgy
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
Turn the fuelling down or stop bogging it so much would be my suggestion. Tongue

Brake cleaner will take it right off though...............probably remove some paint too...... Confused
Thanks given by:
...my car doesn't bog Itwasntme

any more serious suggestions?
Thanks given by:
Engine degreaser?

Hot jetwash with a very strong patio detergent, let it soak for a while?

Petrol?
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
Truck wash. Seems to remove everything I get on my car.
Thanks given by:
So thats on-boost smoke Ginge? You'll be melting stuff soon if it is surely lol.

Jonny, engine degreser takes the colour off the black plastics so I'd guess it'd ruin paint too.

How about that tar remover stuff, think its called 'tardis' or something.
Thanks given by:
Pics?!?!

I'd try a steam cleaner, great at breaking down shit like that Wink
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
Surely warm soapy water will help? Or warm with any kind of mild degreaser? The heat will help it melt off...

(04-08-2012, 05:06 PM)THE_Liam Wrote: Pics?!?!

I'd try a steam cleaner, great at breaking down shit like that Wink

Read my mind! ^^
Thanks given by:
(04-08-2012, 05:08 PM)MissTait_GTI6 Wrote: Surely warm soapy water will help? Or warm with any kind of mild degreaser? The heat will help it melt off...

She's got a point, pour fairy liquid all over it and leave it for a bit...
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
Mine got like this. Used industrial acid they spray on before cleaning at valet places.
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
I've got some gunk in a spray bottle; might give that a blast with some warm water. Women know a thing or two about cleaning.... ninja
Thanks given by:
too much fuel imo......but on topic, soapy water, microfibre sponge and some elbow grease should do the trick...:p
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
TFR or traffic film remover will get that stuff off, it's the stuff they spray on ya car @ a car wash, or panel wipe, what u would use b4 painting a panel, try get a lil bottle of it from Halfords or someplace n that'll do the job, hope this helps mate
Thanks given by:
(04-08-2012, 05:10 PM)Jonny81191 Wrote:
(04-08-2012, 05:08 PM)MissTait_GTI6 Wrote: Surely warm soapy water will help? Or warm with any kind of mild degreaser? The heat will help it melt off...

She's got a point, pour fairy liquid all over it and leave it for a bit...

DO NOT PUT WASHING UP LIQUID ON YOUR CAR, its ruins the paintwork and drys it out!

A hot jetwash should get it off no bother with some decent car shampoo.............

And having been for a bit of a hoon up the lakes during said trip it barely smokes at all, nothing more than a small puff as the turbo spools up so to anyone who has said its overfueling/bogging, pipe down! Tongue

Edit- Panel wipe is also a good shout as its a degreaser, is relatively inexpensive and paint safe (obviously)! http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5L-Can-Tetrosy...3556wt_907
Team Orange Engine Bay

My flickr photostream - http://www.flickr.com/photos/markairey
Thanks given by:
Hairy; I appreciate that mate; it is often hard telling people how my car runs without seeing it, but yeh, its not ovefueling; its a combination of being driven a constant 6 days on motorways over 1200 miles, mix that with general road crap and rain has created this..

I did take it to a hot soap jet wash earlier and it didn't budge anything. I'm going to soak some gunk and see how that goes :/
Thanks given by:
(05-08-2012, 12:13 AM)ginge191 Wrote: Hairy; I appreciate that mate; it is often hard telling people how my car runs without seeing it, but yeh, its not ovefueling; its a combination of being driven a constant 6 days on motorways over 1200 miles, mix that with general road crap and rain has created this..

I did take it to a hot soap jet wash earlier and it didn't budge anything. I'm going to soak some gunk and see how that goes :/

I was damn impressed with how well your car went TBH, and its also nice to hear another car that sounds like a jet engine Big Grin

I would seriously consider some decent car shampoo in hot water and sacrificing an old wash mit (as you will never get it clean again) but gunk should work, just watch it doesn't bugger up the paint!
Team Orange Engine Bay

My flickr photostream - http://www.flickr.com/photos/markairey
Thanks given by:
yeh; i've used gunk before on my actual bay, and spilt some on the front wings, didnt do any harm and washed away fairly easy! hell... whats the worse that can happen Sad
Thanks given by:
(05-08-2012, 12:13 AM)ginge191 Wrote: Hairy; I appreciate that mate; it is often hard telling people how my car runs without seeing it, but yeh, its not ovefueling; its a combination of being driven a constant 6 days on motorways over 1200 miles, mix that with general road crap and rain has created this..

fair enough mate, it's just that mine never gets like that, bit odd to understand . .
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
(05-08-2012, 12:54 AM)Mattcheese31 Wrote: fair enough mate, it's just that mine never gets like that, bit odd to understand . .

After using it for such a long period of driving?

there was never a point where the car had time to naturally wash off any particles on the rear; i'd assume that after the first 200/300 miles, it's created a base layer and just built up over and over again..
Thanks given by:
White spirit? Get the stuff of and give it a good wash and polish
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
Petrol? Its what I used to clean off 6 months of spillage from overfilling with veg...not sure on the effects for the paintwork though! Its also a good de-tarrer!
Gov modded 11mm Bosch + Standard turbo = 137.2bhp . . . . TD04 now in...time to get playing!
Thanks given by:
Looks like the back of my old 1.8...
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
TFR / Truckwash.
[Image: KrisB-new-Logo11.gif]
Thanks given by:
I've done masses of miles on 100% veg before - when I was driving to university and back, I was doing 1000 miles in one go and mine's never done that... That's the glycerine that's not completely burning and ending up on the back of your car - you can imagine what your pistons are like if that's the back of your car!

Check your injection timing and compression... Remember, veg has a lower cetane rating (how quickly it burns) than dino diesel, it'll probably run FINE on Diesel, but doesn't like veg because there's not enough advance... You say it hunts like hell in the morning also, which would also point to timing...

The best I've found for getting veg off paintwork if you've spilt it down the fuel filler - AutoGlym Engine and Machine cleaner, then use a bit of polish to get the inevitable residue off...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
well i managed to get it all off

using GUNK, warm water and a touch of washing up liquid.

very strange ruan; it's not running smokey at all. You think i should advance it slightly?

[Image: USDrk.jpg]
Thanks given by:
You wouldn't be able to tell from the smoke output, it's the glycerin that's exiting the cylinders unburnt... unburnt glycerin doesn't make smoke, well, just a very light haze but you wouldn't even notice it... Over 1200 miles, it wouldn't take barely a haze to cause that...

There's definitely something not right, your cylinder temperatures are not getting high enough to burn all of the fuel, hence it's ending up on the back of your car...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Thanks given by:
So sorting this would be mean lowering the glycerin levels or increasing cylinder temps?

Quite interesting; more technical than I thought then.. Smile
Thanks given by:
It's the low peak cylinder temperatures that is causing that.

Peak cylinder temperatures are usually increased by more timing...
Thanks given by:
Hmm ok.. i'll get reading around, see what i ca find to help this out; i've got a fubard leak off between injector 2/3, could this have any link with it Huh
Thanks given by:
(06-08-2012, 11:38 AM)ginge191 Wrote: Hmm ok.. i'll get reading around, see what i ca find to help this out; i've got a fubard leak off between injector 2/3, could this have any link with it Huh

why not just advance the pump a bit? . . .Smile
Thanks given by: