Droplinks

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Droplinks
I need new droplinks and was wondering what is the difference between the metal ones and the plastic ones ?

Guessing they both fit ?
[Image: image_zps45f2003b.jpg]

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
metal ones can bend and throw your tracking out, plastic is either right or snapped . . .i go with plastic and haven't had any probs up to press . Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
(03-08-2012, 09:30 PM)Danny2009 Wrote: I need new droplinks and was wondering what is the difference between the metal ones and the plastic ones ?

Guessing they both fit ?

Yes they both fit, as matt says, the metal ones tend to bend if you hit anything. I use the plastic ones and have had no problems up to now Smile
Team Orange Engine Bay

My flickr photostream - http://www.flickr.com/photos/markairey
Thanks given by:
I hate the plastic ones lol always snap... And metal I've never bent a metal one...
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Cheers lads ill stick with the plastic ones ive always used them anyhow Smile

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
There is a thread for adjustable drop links, think people are arranging a group buy
[Image: 306ocsig_edited-1-1.jpg]

306 HDI, soon to be XUD
Thanks given by:
ive seen that, they look good but cant justify spending £60+ on droplinks for a d-turbo lol

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
I dont blame you, just thought i would throw it out there incase
[Image: 306ocsig_edited-1-1.jpg]

306 HDI, soon to be XUD
Thanks given by:
Cheers for the heads up though mate Smile

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
I've never had metal ones, but seeing as most people say they're a waste of time, I'd go for plastic ones, I've never snapped one, and I give the car some serious abuse!
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
Iv always used metal ones. And currently run metal ones on all 3 of our 306's they are much better IMO got fed up with replacing plastic ones. And also i would of thought you get more flex in plastic ones givin you more body roll?

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
(05-08-2012, 09:00 AM)puglove Wrote: Iv always used metal ones. And currently run metal ones on all 3 of our 306's they are much better IMO got fed up with replacing plastic ones. And also i would of thought you get more flex in plastic ones givin you more body roll?

But on the other hand once the metal ones bend, they stay bent - whereas the plastic ones have the ability to flex to allow a little travel but not damage them long term.
Thanks given by:
I cant see how people bend them, iv hammered my dt over some nasty pot holes and never done any damage to one,

But even so id take the performance upgrade of the metal ones and risk bending one for the sake of £5 to replace it if it does happen

Infact saying that, i Flat spotted and cracked 2 wheels bent all the strut top out (top mount mounting part) into a dome shop onn my old DT and the drop link was fine, you'd have to hit somthing dam hard to bend one and the drop link would be the least of your worries,

Thanks given by:
Exactly why i use metal ones... If you do something bad enough to bend a drop link, something else is gonna be majorly f*cked
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
What performance upgrade? The plastic ones are better!
Thanks given by:
(05-08-2012, 08:11 PM)Rippthrough Wrote: What performance upgrade? The plastic ones are better!

What the ones that have a hell of alot of flex in them which isnt using the ARB to its true potential because the flex is allowing the body to roll a bit, where as the the metal one will not do this? i think i felt alot of difference from plastic to metal in my DT, not so much so in my 6 though

Thanks given by:
Phil doesn't use an ARB on the front (might have one now though?) so he doesn't count! lol
Thanks given by:
(06-08-2012, 06:16 PM)puglove Wrote: What the ones that have a hell of alot of flex in them which isnt using the ARB to its true potential because the flex is allowing the body to roll a bit, where as the the metal one will not do this? i think i felt alot of difference from plastic to metal in my DT, not so much so in my 6 though

Err, the plastic ones are stiffer than the metal ones....
Thanks given by:
(06-08-2012, 11:05 PM)Rippthrough Wrote:
(06-08-2012, 06:16 PM)puglove Wrote: What the ones that have a hell of alot of flex in them which isnt using the ARB to its true potential because the flex is allowing the body to roll a bit, where as the the metal one will not do this? i think i felt alot of difference from plastic to metal in my DT, not so much so in my 6 though

Err, the plastic ones are stiffer than the metal ones....

What metal ones have you been using Confused

Thanks given by:
Ive put plastic ones on anyway chaps Smile

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
(07-08-2012, 05:31 PM)puglove Wrote: What metal ones have you been using Confused

Which plastic ones have you been trying? Big Grin

The decent ones are fibre reinforced, you can see it running through the nylon...
Thanks given by:
The lemforder ones are shit and die within a few goddamn months Angry

Ripp, make me some shinyshiny ones?
[Image: sigcopy-1.jpg]
Diablo Meridian HDi - 125bhp - 73.0MPG - Halfords Wheels
Thanks given by:
I'm sure rip will eithe back me up or tell me to f*ck off but surely the biggest force that is put on drop links is tensile force along the length of the link? You could get plastic ones as strong as metal ones but the benefit is plastic ones can flex sideways should they need to?
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
(07-08-2012, 06:34 PM)Niall Wrote: I'm sure rip will eithe back me up or tell me to f*ck off but surely the biggest force that is put on drop links is tensile force along the length of the link? You could get plastic ones as strong as plastic ones but the benefit is plastic ones can flex sideways should they need to?

I often find that...

Thanks given by:
(07-08-2012, 06:38 PM)Jonny81191 Wrote:
(07-08-2012, 06:34 PM)Niall Wrote: I'm sure rip will eithe back me up or tell me to f*ck off but surely the biggest force that is put on drop links is tensile force along the length of the link? You could get plastic ones as strong as plastic ones but the benefit is plastic ones can flex sideways should they need to?

I often find that...

What? Don't know what your on about.... Smile
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Quoted before you could change it :LOL:

Thanks given by:
(07-08-2012, 06:29 PM)Kezzieboy Wrote: Ripp, make me some shinyshiny ones?

you missed out, was a set for sale on '6 site the other day Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Well make more dammit!
TD04 11mm Sedan, now 2.1 vnt

Sedan Project http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-5763.html

Provence Dturbo Dead
Blaze 1.6 Dead
China 5dr '6 Death by cambelt failure
Matt White HDI estate Death by wiring
Sedan Dturbo aka triggers broom
Diablo estate Dturbo Living dead
Thanks given by:
Peugeot originally used metal ones, quickly changing over to plastic ones after a few years when they realised they can bend.

If you have strong springs on your shocks, you'll find that you can quite easily bend the metal ones... If you look at the structure of the plastic ones, in their intended orientation, there's no way they'll bend... If they're getting to the point of bending, you'd have long bent the metal ones...

I don't get the whole thing about plastic ones breaking - I've had one set on my car and I've NEVER replaced them... They're absolutely perfect, never snapped, balljoints in good condition... Never had an issue...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Ask ed what happens to plastic ones when you jack your car up.... haha

/troll
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rose jointed droplinks Hdi and proud of it 18 4,008 23-03-2015, 10:58 PM