Roll cage making

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roll cage making
Video 
so as per title whats stopping me making one with blue prints from somewhere? 
pricing up new project car atm with various things and it needs a cage. want to do as much in house as possible
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
Wants you've bought the proper tubing, spent all the time making mistakes and trying to bend etc....

Probably better looking for new/second hand
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Easy. Get yourself down Wickes.

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index...tid=490661

http://www.924board.org/viewtopic.php?p=...bbf18f6941
Thanks given by:
1. Needing a decent tube bender.

2. Expecting blueprints.

3. Expecting any blueprints you get to actually fit your shell.

4. Realising welding on a bench is not at all similar to being upside down in footwell, wedged into the corner, mask askew with no light trying to weld the underneath of a tube with hot spatter going down your neck.
Custom roll cages/shiny suspension bits/general fabrication work undertaken, PM me.
Top engine mount repair/reinforcement/chocking for cracked chassis and high powered cars, drive in, drive out, 2 hour turnaround.
Thanks given by:
(22-06-2016, 08:35 PM)Rippthrough Wrote: 1. Needing a decent tube bender.

Got one

2. Expecting blueprints

Maybe hoping not particually needed

3. Expecting any blueprints you get to actually fit your shell.

As above

4. Realising welding on a bench is not at all similar to being upside down in footwell, wedged into the corner, mask askew with no light trying to weld the underneath of a tube with hot spatter going down your neck.

I weld upside down all the time at work bothing new for me

The only thing is rigidity that i need. Blueprints would help obviusly. Only thing i can see me needein that i dont hve access to somewhere is a tube notcher maybe? Some prefessinol guidance would be nice as well.
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks given by:
When you say you have a tube bender, what kind?

Cause a pipe bender with a bottle jack won't cut it. You need a rotary draw bender. Or a lot of time and effort packing tubes with sand and water and welding caps on.
Custom roll cages/shiny suspension bits/general fabrication work undertaken, PM me.
Top engine mount repair/reinforcement/chocking for cracked chassis and high powered cars, drive in, drive out, 2 hour turnaround.
Thanks given by:
(22-06-2016, 09:45 PM)Rippthrough Wrote: When you say you have a tube bender, what kind?

Cause a pipe bender with a bottle jack won't cut it. You need a rotary draw bender. Or a lot of time and effort packing tubes with sand and water and welding caps on.

Yeah its a jack arrangment not a rotory one, can probably get my hands on one though via a friend. Would need to know all angles first i guess though not something i could steal lol
Thanks given by:
Your angles depend on the machine you using and what condition the dies are in - they'll be different for every machine, that's why any blueprints you get aren't going to fit your shell.

Yeah, a jack type is a pipe bender, not a tube bender, it'll just destroy/distort tube without filling them with sand/water and capping the ends every time.
Thanks given by:
basically, buy a pre-bent kit ( hoping that the company you buy it from has kept an eye on wear of the dies and that the angles chosen will actually fit the shell....)

then fettle and weld to suit,.
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
(23-06-2016, 10:45 AM)welshpug Wrote: basically, buy a pre-bent kit ( hoping that the company you buy it from has kept an eye on wear of the dies and that the angles chosen will actually fit the shell....)

then fettle and weld to suit,.

Thank you man. This seems like the best option. Its not that i dont want to buy a cage. I just want to do as much as possible my self
Thanks given by:
Yeah, it just depends what you had to hand, you're going to create so much grief for yourself destroying expensive tube with a ram bender it'd work out far easier and cheaper to buy one, or just buy a pre-bent cab section and make the feet/straight tubes yourself.

Your worst things after that are deciding what feet your going to use (as that determines whether you can knock the cage off the feet or whether you have to drill holes in the floor to drop the cage down for welding) - and then making sure your weld sequence means you can weld the top of the main hoop and windscreen joints all the way around before lifting it.
Thanks given by: