Fitting a boost gauge in driver's side vent.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fitting a boost gauge in driver's side vent.
Ok this is my first time writing a guide so bare with me.

After searching for ages and seeing the same question asked time and time again. "how do I fit one, where can I mount, t-points" thought I would do this quickly to help Any one thinking of doing it.

First of all removed the drivers side vent. To do this just get a small flat blade screwdriver and prise carefully around the edges careful not to damage your dash. The vent should just lift out.

I then used a 52mm gauge so I used a holesaw to cut the vent in the middle just go slow and careful and you shouldn't have a problem I put it in a vice to hold it still.

[Image: 4f592f3f.jpg]

You should end up with something like that.

[Image: 517becba.jpg]

How it looks with gauge fitted. I did spray the ring around the edge black as it was silver.

Ok when fitting to the car you need to T in to the boost pipe that comes out the middle of your intercooler at the front.

[Image: c53322b3.jpg]

It's the pipe with the yellow cable tie on. Don't worry I didn't keep the cable tie you need to use either the actual clips that come off or like I did get some new jubilee clips. You need to make sure your connections are tight as you don't want any air leaks

Another question I kept seeing being asked was "where can I feed the pipe through"

Well after reading up the most simple place is to the top right of the clutch m/c if you get your hand up next to it you will feel a small rubber bung. Just get a small screwdriver and poke it thru.

[Image: 6ed69530.jpg]
[Image: 6a71d99d.jpg]

All you need to do then it feed you pipe in and it should come out in the top of drivers side foot well. Just reach up from you pedals and you should feel it.

Then just feed it to your vent.

[Image: 851cb8e0.jpg]

All fitted should look like this. You want to connect it to a switch live and earth there is a earth in the drivers foot well. I just used the switch from my headunit but there are loads to use.

Hope this helps people.

This is just a guide any work you do on your car is at your own risk.

Hope it helps Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Just to add I have seen other people fibreglass and filler there vents as there is no right or wrong way to make your vent I chose this way as it ment I could still use my vent.
Thanks given by:
[Image: c2cdf5b1.jpg]

Night shot
Thanks given by:
this is how ive seen most people do it mate.... good guide Smile
BBBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSSSSSSSSTTTT!!!!!!!!
Thanks given by:
could you give us an exmample of where to get a live feed from please?
Thanks given by:
There is an live feed behind the little panel which pops out beneath the vent. Ph1's often use it as a coin tray, and ph2/3's often use it to mount the light dimmer thingys.

The 12v feed is one of the orange wires behind that panel.
Captain Standard

Thanks given by:
cheers bud!
Thanks given by:
Toby Wrote:There is an live feed behind the little panel which pops out beneath the vent. Ph1's often use it as a coin tray, and ph2/3's often use it to mount the light dimmer thingys.

The 12v feed is one of the orange wires behind that panel.

toby i thought that was an early form of diagnostics? the one where you put an led on it and it flashes?
Thanks given by:
Lukeey Wrote:Another question I kept seeing being asked was "where can I feed the pipe through"

Well after reading up the most simple place is to the top right of the clutch m/c if you get your hand up next to it you will feel a small rubber bung. Just get a small screwdriver and poke it thru.

[Image: 6ed69530.jpg]
[Image: 6a71d99d.jpg]

All you need to do then it feed you pipe in and it should come out in the top of drivers side foot well. Just reach up from you pedals and you should feel it.
is that the bung that the throttle cable goes through?
Thanks given by:
No it's a bung on its own. Just get a screwdriver and pop it thru.
Thanks given by:
One easy way to do it is to use one of these - havnt got a clue what its called

[Image: L-universal-wire-puller-and-grabber.jpg]

it basically grabs onto anything, that way you can pull the pipe through - save poking a bendy tube through.
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
THAT, is a long, reachy, grabby, pokey thing.

and yes, that's the technical term, i'm an engineering student.
[Image: k6f9Fk]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
Thanks given by:
What is the next best place to mount the gauge I personally would like to stick it to the side of the binnacle but where would you route the tube through and would you need to start drilling holes I'd like it to look as if had come fitted have got my eye on a leather grain single gauge pod that just sits on the dash and is sticky taped on or bonded...The gauge I'm looking at has a warning light too which is a must as I'm a little paranoid since my turbo blew on my old Mundano Sad
Member of Team Rather be Gay than Ginger

Member of Team Holey Engine

[Image: IM_sig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Next best place has got to be one of these......

[Image: Carbits-3.jpg]
Thanks given by:
gareth7 Wrote:Next best place has got to be one of these......

[Image: Carbits-3.jpg]

That I do say looks Ã?ber-cool! Now where do I find myself one of these?
Member of Team Rather be Gay than Ginger

Member of Team Holey Engine

[Image: IM_sig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
someone on here is selling them in the for sale section or if you cant find that i think the same guy sells them on ebay? Maybe Gareth7?
Thanks given by:
It's me selling them on Ebay but if you come and see me on .net or drop me a pm I do a better deal for them there. Only reason they're not for sale here is another member put a thread up selling gauge mounts before I had the chance so I did him the courtesy of not treading on his toes.
Thanks given by:
Are these's still available?
Thanks given by:
Email Gareth top work an highly recommended
Thanks given by:
(10-12-2012, 03:09 PM)Ryan.306.com Wrote: Are these's still available?

Doing both types all the time Ryan.....pm me for details
Thanks given by:
still think mine is better
has been modded again since now has no front dial mask

[Image: DSCF6669.jpg]

[Image: DSCF9980.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Very OEM Cully nicely done
[Image: 20120704_212316.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(10-12-2012, 03:31 PM)cully Wrote: still think mine is better
has been modded again since now has no front dial mask

[Image: DSCF6669.jpg]

[Image: DSCF9980.jpg]

Think I've gone off plasma dials now tbh. They was cool till the fun wore off. I've found my self a dial that has amber lights to match the orignal dash. Looks a little more oem. But the face is carbon Sad.
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
What size t-piece do you need to fit into the inter cooler pipe?
8mm? Or something like a 15mm to 8mm reduced?
NO SMOKE NO POKEBig Grin
Thanks given by:
8mm...but need the t piece bit to be reduced to 6mm for the boost gauge pipe
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(15-07-2013, 08:28 PM)Piggy Wrote: 8mm...but need the t piece bit to be reduced to 6mm for the boost gauge pipe

Thanks
NO SMOKE NO POKEBig Grin
Thanks given by:
(15-07-2013, 08:28 PM)Piggy Wrote: 8mm...but need the t piece bit to be reduced to 6mm for the boost gauge pipe

I've ordered one of these. I went out in my car today to see how bad the boost leak was and a got a massive 1psi in 3rd. Ha. And it took ages to reach 40 in 3rd and 60 in 4th. Glad I don't drive a NAD would drive me insane. Ha
NO SMOKE NO POKEBig Grin
Thanks given by:
step 1 dont shove a screw driver through a huge lump of loom Doh

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
(16-07-2013, 12:27 PM)puglove Wrote: step 1 dont shove a screw driver through a huge lump of loom Doh

What you mean?
NO SMOKE NO POKEBig Grin
Thanks given by:
little joke about my misshap when i put one in my estate

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Video Easy Guide On Installing A Boost Gauge sammyb303 1 1,775 07-06-2015, 08:15 AM
Last Post: Poodle
  Guide: Fitting a manual boost controller 306Puggy 13 9,876 28-07-2013, 12:09 PM
Last Post: ADV_93