GUIDE: Make a 306 Meridan/Gti6, 5 speed key-ring!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GUIDE: Make a 306 Meridan/Gti6, 5 speed key-ring!
OK Guys, just a bit of fun as it was raining, I was bored and as I recently changed my gear lever!

The top of the knob popped out and we thought it could make a pretty neat Keyring,

- First give it a polish and a clean, I used a pin to get the crap out of the numbers etc.

- Then cut the excess plastic off carefully with wire cutters and sand the back surface down until it is smooth and the size you want it.

- Fill the recess with a plastic resin, I used thermoset gel. This gives it some more weight and strength, + gives you something to mount the backing on. (You could mount a metal loop, chain or ring in the gel to attach the key ring)

- Once the Gel has set, if you havent mounted something in it, drill a small hole then a large hole for the keyring to go through. (drill from the back through to stop it ruining the surface finish)

UPDATE: A hot glue gun works a treat! Put it on a level surface and just fill it up and let it to cool for an hour.

[attachment=3]

- I then superglued it to some velvet, once glued carefully trimmed the excess off with some small scissors. You could stick any material on, some carbon effect or something, I think the ultimate would be a small Pug gel badge.

- Added a bit of velvet to the hole and gave it a last clean and that was it.

I think it looks quite neat, so if you have some old gear knobs and some time to kill!

Cheers Smile

[attachment=2]
[attachment=1]
[attachment=0]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks given by:
Good guide, but how do you get it out if it's stuck in, an not just popping out?
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
Errmm, as mine didn't I have no idea! The knob should be hollow, if you can get a thin handled screwdriver and put the handle end inside the knob then give it a thump. Be careful though as the top is pretty thin.

Take the leather off and take a look to see how it is stuck on?

Be good to see how you get on, pics would be cool.

Update: looking at it I think you will need to pull the leather off to get it out.
Thanks given by:
When ned says we he means me and him! Big Grin Yeh Ive got a spare knob so Ill have a go with that one! There were loads in the scrap yard!

Who will be the first to do a gti6 knob? Big Grin

With the above post be caeful using tiny flat head screwdrivers to force stuff out. I once snapped one doing that and it almost took my eye out!
Thanks given by:
matt should just be able to pop it out with the appropriate amount of force! lol

to the OP, pretty neat! i'd do mine, but my knobs pretty manky.................................
[Image: k6f9Fk]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
Thanks given by:
That's pretty cool; I'll have to nick fooby's gearknob insert next time im in his car Tongue
'99 Ph3 Diablo Gti(Victor) Dead
Astor 'X' 4 GTi6-6 - SOLD! Sad
'08 LY Renault Megane RS 230 F1 Team R26 - GONE
'56 BMW Z4 Coupe 3.0si Sport - SCHWIIIING!
Thanks given by:
Haha, cheers...!
I wont be held responsible when people come back here asking about missing gear knobs though! Smile

Oh and big up the 106 1.5 Nad! Iv got one of those, massively underrated!
Thanks given by:
Haha, it's my daily hack; I forgot how expensive the '6 is in fuel so It's only the weekend car now!

I do love it tbh; still very torn about whether to chop it in come mot time in october and get an e46 320d touring, or to keep it going another year. its just so cheap to run/insure it's a very hard decision!!
'99 Ph3 Diablo Gti(Victor) Dead
Astor 'X' 4 GTi6-6 - SOLD! Sad
'08 LY Renault Megane RS 230 F1 Team R26 - GONE
'56 BMW Z4 Coupe 3.0si Sport - SCHWIIIING!
Thanks given by:
Ed, if you do want rid of the NAD wagon, i might want it! so give me a shout before you get rid pleeease and thankyou Smile
[Image: k6f9Fk]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
Thanks given by:
thats a cool keyring fair play nice one
[Image: sig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
My old NAD 106 is for sale! 114k on the clock, zest 2 in metallic red AND has a WATERPROOF sunroof Tongue Its was the phase 2 or 3 I think too? Uprates sounds, headlights, all practical stuff. Dirtcheap to run! 11 month tax and mot.

Your welcome to some info if you like!

I cant justify having 2 cars, luckily the HDI is sensible enough to use all the time.
Thanks given by:
Ill give this a go tomorrow! Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Heres mine:

[Image: fc274c38.jpg]

Awesome idea! Love it.
[Image: sig002_zpscb892e18.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Ive done mine. Just got to find a scalpel blade and itll be finished Big Grin
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post