Red rallye Resto project (seats out)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Red rallye Resto project (seats out)
So went to pick up a rallye today off one of the members off gti oc.

All seemed great was very happy...

Some pictures of my dad driving it on the way home....:
[attachment=17420][attachment=17419][attachment=17421]

Got around 5 miles from home and my dad just pulled over we thought it might have been petrol put after turning it over it didn't sound to clever, I was worried about the belt snapping but it had only been changed 14 thousand ago...

got it back to the garage and found this "/:
[attachment=17427]

My theory is that the nut jammed the belt and put pressure on an already weak block and done this "/
[attachment=17422]

There is no damage to the tensioner and it feels free:
[attachment=17424]
Anyone else got another theory?

More pictures for picture whores Wink
[attachment=17423][attachment=17425][attachment=17426][attachment=17429]
Thanks given by:
Ouch!!! Thats a shame! :-(
Beautiful rallye! I seriously need a cherry rallye!
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Water pump not jammed? That belt doesnt seem to have any damage at all Confused its literally like its slipped off
Thanks given by:
Man that sucks! Need a new head before you even got it home Sad
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
What a shitter mate, what kind of revs was it doing when it came off?
Supercharged XUD Project - Dead

HDi Cabby Project Click
Thanks given by:
Wait is it just me that can see a crack in the block where the tensioner should be!?
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
(06-07-2014, 10:25 PM)Niall Wrote: Wait is it just me that can see a crack in the block where the tensioner should be!?

I spotted that too mate definitely something wrong for that to happen looks like an actual hole
Thanks given by:
^^ Didn't see that first time around. Looks like that block has had it Sad

HDi Cabby Project Click
Thanks given by:
Yeah I spotted that niall...

Hole/cracked for sure.

Never seen that before though!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Christ, I'd be heading back to where I got it demanding some cash back
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
Looks a tidy shell though boys! Shitter about the belt but after speaking too these lads at fcs im sure it will be fixed in no time Smile
[Image: 17b33c2a-8471-4313-992e-0a4b324cf926_zps2e63812a.jpg]
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
Yeah that deffo looks like a hole. Good spot niall i didnt even notice that before reading the comments. What a bummer though. Have you contacted the seller?

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
(07-07-2014, 01:27 AM)Matt Wrote: Christ, I'd be heading back to where I got it demanding some cash back

And they will probably tell you where to go. Private sale mate and I'm sure they didn't know this was going to happen!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
First off thanks for all the comment guys Smile appreciate it.

And the water pump is jammed solid with that bolt in there, I did try to get that bolt out to have a look, to see what type of bolt it is and find where it came from, but it's in there tight! So it will just stay there till the engines out.

The belt is absolutely fine, I do think there was a problem with the tensioner before hand though, as it shouldnt have ripped a hole in the block... It doesn't go to the water cavity. I think it was extra for the tentioner to bolt on too.

Does anyone have a picture of what it should look like with tenioner off?

Sorry I should have stated in the pictures that there was a hole there, and if you look at the teeth on the water pump there abit chewed too. The second picture was trying to show the hole.

I think it was about 6k when it happened dan, I know its going to be f*ckd, the engine was going to come out for a bit of paint anyway, even though the engine bay is clean as f*ck. no rust from what I can see but havent looked under the radiator yet.

I'm not to bothered about trying to get some cash back as it was a bit of a steal, and I'm happy with how clean an untouched the car is,1 bigish dent and some little ones here and there, but its awesome and had 1400 spent on a reconditioned gear box at 77k. It's so tight and smooth.
Thanks given by:
have a look at my enging rebuild thread there may be som pictures of use

http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-17479-po...#pid352602

http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-17479-page-7.html

i still have the engine on a stand with no covers on if you want any pictures of that are?

hunch! has the head been off recent?
maybe the back head bold thread had oil in it when they screwwed the head stud into it and hydroliced the oil cracking the block corner off once it was torqued up ???
Thanks given by:
(07-07-2014, 09:53 AM)cully Wrote: have a look at my enging rebuild thread there may be som pictures of use

http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-17479-po...#pid352602

http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-17479-page-7.html

i still have the engine on a stand with no covers on if you want any pictures of that are?

hunch! has the head been off recent?
maybe the back head bold thread had oil in it when they screwwed the head stud into it and hydroliced the oil cracking the block corner off once it was torqued up ???

Thanks cully, funny enough it has been off recently, new head gasket 300 miles ago. That does seem like a possibility, never have seen this happen though "/ I'm assuming you have?

I would like to find out where the bolt that's jammed come from too.
Thanks given by:
Ah good call cully!

The crack is certainly in the right place for hydrolocked oil damage.

At least you know this engines scrap instead of building it up again to find the block was cracked
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
Perhaps someone converted from 137 belt to 136 belt type to the other and didn't fit the tensioner spindle mount. It isn't used on the 137 setup and is easy to miss if you convert, plus the bolt is longer on the 137 setup (55mm vs 25mm) so you can screw it in too far and... well you know what you can do....

[Image: 136teeth.jpg]

Item 10. (136 belt type)

137 belt type, auto tensioner, is here:

[Image: 137teeth.jpg]

Edit: pic links fixed
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by:
(07-07-2014, 12:20 PM)C2K Wrote: Perhaps someone converted from 137 belt to 136 belt type to the other and didn't fit the tensioner spindle mount. It isn't used on the 137 setup and is easy to miss if you convert, plus the bolt is longer on the 137 setup (55mm vs 25mm) so you can screw it in too far and... well you know what you can do....

Exactly what I was thinking.

Seems bizarre to do the headgasket 300 miles ago and then refit a 14k mile old cambelt too, although the lengths that people go to in order to save a few quid and do the bare minimum to complete a job rather than proactively doing related jobs never fails to astound me.
1990 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1991 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 16v // 1992 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1999 Peugeot 306 HDi Estate
Thanks given by:
you cant screw the bolt in to far on the tesioner as it is a web in the block casting with a open threaded hole on the back

i will upload some pics im just downsizing them for quickness Wink
Thanks given by:
looking at my block i think its a case of the loose bolt jammed the belt that broke the casting the tensioner was mounted on

which is terrible bad luck on a car you just bought Sad

[attachment=17460]

[attachment=17459]

[attachment=17458]

[attachment=17457]

[attachment=17456]

[attachment=17455]

[attachment=17454]
Thanks given by:
Yeah tbh that's what I thought would have happened tbh, they guy I bought it off seemed genuine and wouldnt blame him at all. But I do blame the garage that done the work.

It is a pain in the arse but I'm sure il be fine Smile
Thanks given by:
this the one that was for sale in newquay?
if so you passed me on the way home Smile
Thanks given by:
Very little you can do in regards to the seller as it was running when you drove it off.
At least the shell looks mint and you seem positive Smile

HDi Cabby Project Click
Thanks given by:
Yeah it was me cully Tongue

Yeah I don't expect anything from him, when I bought it my plan was for it to go into storage for a bit as I still have money to spend on the gti track car yet.

Then when it came out I was going to paint the engine bay and do a general tidy up of the engine....

Now in my mind I have 3 options of what to do when I come to work on it around December:

All 3 options will be with an aftermarket ecu (I really want launch control, and poping and banging Blush)

1. Buy engine, rebuild it with all new bearings, hone etc..

2. Buy engine, rebuild with new bearings, hone ect... throttle bodies and cams aim for 220 ish.

3. Buy engine, rebuild with a low boost lynx kit...

I'm thinking low boost as its most bang for your buck Undecided, but you can't beat the sound of n/a.
Thanks given by:
There is option 4. V6 it, although some purists might not like it going in a rallye.
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

62k Diablo Phase 1 Gti-6:
Project Thread
Thanks given by:
OR

4. Buy engine, rebuild with BFO turbo....

HDi Cabby Project Click
Thanks given by:
(07-07-2014, 07:18 PM)RetroPug Wrote: There is option 4. V6 it, although some purists might not like it going in a rallye.

I like the thought of it but not much tuning availability and I don't think i'd like the extra weight.

(07-07-2014, 07:19 PM)londondan86 Wrote: OR

4. Buy engine, rebuild with BFO turbo....

Maybe but I've completely gone off petrol turbos now, as like every single petrol performance car now has a turbo for efficiency reasons. I know its common for superchargers in gti 6's but when you bring most cars into the picture they are all mainly turbos.

Turbo+supercharger is just win though Angel
Thanks given by:
I cannot disagree with that final statement! Link in my sig Wink
Although a turbo rallye has so much win potential, plus it's different!

HDi Cabby Project Click
Thanks given by:
Thats seriously bad luck but at least you have a theory as to what happened. Personally what I think you should do is sell me the shell Tongue
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  306 rallye trackday project twangy 383 178,350 19-03-2020, 05:12 PM
Last Post: Eeyore
  Red Rallye resto Ben_w 354 88,562 28-05-2019, 10:19 PM
Last Post: Ben_w
  Matts £200 Cherry Rallye shell rebuild & tidy up project. Xsara goodies landed! Matt-Rallye 70 32,343 07-03-2017, 12:58 PM
Last Post: Matt-Rallye