S16 Avac

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
S16 Avac
I cant take any of the credit for this. I think it was swampy that wrote this out over on .net and Rocker kindly messaged it to me back along when i was having issues with my S16.

first of all i hope this helps a few people

PLUMBING IN
the avac is relitilvy simple and easy to use but is often dismissed by those that do not know how it works as being trouble some

im now on over 60k with my s16 in my ownership and its always beign fine!!!!

the control unit aka electro solenid is located on the passenger side of the cylinder head just behind and below the brake vacume pump

[Image: 0B1AF926-F6BC-4401-AEEB-20B1F856ED7E_zpsjjr0g8hr.jpg]

the silver part with the silver pipe coming off it is the vacume pump

the solenoid has three connections on it
1: rear connection closest to bulk head, hose runs up and though bulkhead
2:top branch runs to top of inlet manifold where it joins a t piece, one hose runs to one diaphram other to the other
3: runs across to the front of the inlet manifold, folowing the line of the metal pipe work and goes down to the lowest join on the middle part of the inlet manifold

you then also have two hoses which are on the ecu, the first runs from the ecu t piece to the vent cylinder
this hose joins the rear of the cylinder away from the sticky out part
the other hose closest to the sticky out part runs to the metal pipe that runs across the inlet manifold area.

[Image: 90ED9A0E-B75B-41A4-86E7-71C5FCC65FEA_zpsils1e0wl.jpg]

DIAGNOSIS

does your s16 suffer from flat spots?
doesnt it perform like you would expect??

if so then look at this guide

CHECK THE OPERATION
are the valves opening and closeing correctly??
1: check all associated pipe work as detailed above for splits/ cracks
2:to check the operation of each diaprham do the follwoing check, remove the hose from one diapram inlet at a time, put your thumb over the end of it and rev the engine, if you feel a suck on your thumb then the pipe work and valve is ok BUT the diapramh is split and cauing the problem
3:if no suck is felt and non of the hoses are split or cracked then the solenoid on the end of the engine is at fault, this is around £25 for a new one from peugeot
4:if you feel suction on each hose then the fault lies with the diaphrams and these should be replaced approx £45 each from peugeot

SETTING UP
1:to aid the succesful running of the car and to ensure no flat spots then the bars from the diaprham to the cam need to be set correctly to ensure they open and close fully.

2:if they dont open/close fully then you need to disconet the the hose from each in turn, remove the two 10mm bolts that hold them to the bracket and flick the ball joint off the cam so as you can adjust it.

3:grip the metal shaft securely and gently tuen the ball joint on the thread, be very carful they are fragile and if you break one you have to buy a complete unit, adjust it up or down until the cam (triangulat part ) is resting on the stop on the manifold at rest and opens through 90 deg when working.

[Image: D85C7198-F22F-4D56-88E6-E50DD724EEAC_zpsrw4qdnl9.jpg]

shouldnt look like that if opening properly

hope this helps a few people
and if you have a cracked hose i always have them for sale
Thanks given by:
I forgot i had put this up. Hopefully this will be some help to Anton though i messaged it to him anyway
Thanks given by: