Local Cheap Stop Gap....

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wanted: Local Cheap Stop Gap....
(30-10-2013, 08:03 PM)Jake Wrote: Buy a mk5 gti..

Was looking at the Mk5 GT TDi's but they're way out of budget.....like twice as much as the Vec for the same age! Dodgy

(30-10-2013, 08:27 PM)THE_Liam Wrote: For fucks sake Tom, if you're complaining about the cost of running a diesel Vectra you need to stop spending so much. Newer cars have too much fragile shit that goes wrong all the time and costs a fortune to fix. Buy an XUD with a Bosch pump for less than £500 and get 40-50mpg on 80p per litre fuel!

This just isn't true. The only things I've replaced on the Vectra were mechanical! Springs and a stat, every car has those.

Buying an XUD wouldn't have the desired effect. Can't be bothered to explain again.

(30-10-2013, 08:30 PM)JJ0063 Wrote: Tom have you considered a bluemotion vw? My mate has a jetta with the silly cheap/free tax.

Yup, anything VAG and economical is way out of budget. Even poverty spec Polos older than the Vec cost more.
Thanks given by:
(30-10-2013, 10:25 PM)Toms306 Wrote:
(30-10-2013, 08:03 PM)Jake Wrote: Buy a mk5 gti..

Was looking at the Mk5 GT TDi's but they're way out of budget.....like twice as much as the Vec for the same age! Dodgy

(30-10-2013, 08:27 PM)THE_Liam Wrote: For fucks sake Tom, if you're complaining about the cost of running a diesel Vectra you need to stop spending so much. Newer cars have too much fragile shit that goes wrong all the time and costs a fortune to fix. Buy an XUD with a Bosch pump for less than £500 and get 40-50mpg on 80p per litre fuel!

This just isn't true. The only things I've replaced on the Vectra were mechanical! Springs and a stat, every car has those.

Buying an XUD wouldn't have the desired effect. Can't be bothered to explain again.

(30-10-2013, 08:30 PM)JJ0063 Wrote: Tom have you considered a bluemotion vw? My mate has a jetta with the silly cheap/free tax.

Yup, anything VAG and economical is way out of budget. Even poverty spec Polos older than the Vec cost more.

See I made the mistake of test driving a GT tdi ( I say test drive.. It's my mates.)
Before trying the GTi.. No way was the tdi being bought haha.

Tempted to save up for the mk6 r33 next. Probably in 2 years. Really liking them at the moment.
On the 306 waiting list.
Thanks given by:
Lol, I'm no longer bothered about power and speed though. I find I rarely get a chance to use either being stuck behind slow people on B roads all the time. When I eventually get a chance to overtake I get a bit carried away which will only end badly. And when I'm not stuck behind them, and as long as no-ones behind me, I only tend to drive at about 40ish anyway.... I just don't get any enjoyment from driving so don't bother wasting the fuel driving quickly any more.
Thanks given by:
(30-10-2013, 11:27 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Lol, I'm no longer bothered about power and speed though. I find I rarely get a chance to use either being stuck behind slow people on B roads all the time. When I eventually get a chance to overtake I get a bit carried away which will only end badly. And when I'm not stuck behind them, and as long as no-ones behind me, I only tend to drive at about 40ish anyway.... I just don't get any enjoyment from driving so don't bother wasting the fuel driving quickly any more.

Just walk then.
On the 306 waiting list.
Thanks given by:
I would if I lived in town, would save so much money and hassle....

Living out here sucks though! But lets not even start on that. Dodgy
Thanks given by:
Tom end of the day you can only drive what you can afford. No matter how much you or then down but you always come back to a 306. Just but a xud and see how it goes. Cheap veg, Cheap running and cheap to repair.
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Not gonna happen.

I wouldn't run veg as I cant be dealing with the hassle of shit cold starts, or adding petrol and diesel and two stroke and whatever else. 306s are just too old now, the estate I had had metal failure, plastic failure, rubber failure, wiring failure.... And tbh I found they weren't even cheap to repair plus theres more chance of stuff breaking as its had longer to degrade. Lost count of what I spent on the estate in just a few months but it was a hell of a lot more in 'consumables' than both Golfs put together, plus the hassle that all the seized and rusty bolts caused. And the wiring faults everywhere from door looms to stereo loom to the bootlid loom. The door handle that snapped off, the cat pipe snapped, the brake cables snapped, the big rusty hole in the rear arch, the thrust bearing whined like a bitch.... I could go on but I won't.

I'd have kept the moonstone HDi breaker if it didn't remind me of the reason I got so fed up with them.
Thanks given by:
Ive had £200 306 dturbos for stop gap cars and not had any issues my last one had 250k on it I put a balljoint on it for mot had it for 9 months no issues sold it for 350
Thanks given by:
Well you're lucky then. I'm not.
Thanks given by:
Its not luck Tom, its you buying crap again and again. As for veg, cold starts aren't a problem, just up your cold idle slightly. All the mixing of fuels isn't really necessary either, im still running 100% with no starting issues other than 5 minutes of hunting, and when I do start to have starting issues I'll just put veg in, then drive to the garage and put some derv in. Worth it for what is effectively about 90mpg...
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
I don't know what you're trying to achieve with this thread TBH Tom, it seems to me that you're determined to disagree with everyone's suggestions, and therefore upset yourself and frustrate anyone who tries to help. For some reason, despite your moaning, people are trying to find a solution to your problem. For what it's worth, I'd suggest you find the best, well looked after Xud9 that you can afford. A grand will be easily sufficient. And before you retort with "yes but reliability blah blah blah", there's few other more reliable engines out there. And the 306 really isn't bad considering its age. Just don't buy a nail. Look elsewhere in the country, then budget for the extra £150 to get shiply to move it to your door. Ask people to go and look at the car in question for you, take pictures and videos etc..

Put simply, maybe stop living beyond your means. There's a reason why people use cheap cars.
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
Tbh you moaning about hdi. But ive had mine since january. Ive been many places in it. Its never skipped a beat always starts straight away. Ive only ever had to replace the lower pulley which is nothing...
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
Thanks given by:
(31-10-2013, 07:11 AM)Jonny81191 Wrote: For some reason, despite your moaning, people are trying to find a solution to your problem.

No, as usual people are answering a question that hasn't been asked.

I specifically DIDNT ask for new car ideas as I knew the response I'd get.

I was looking for a stop gap before the tax ran out on the Vectra, I left it too late as usual so I've had to tax it now. This thread is no longer even needed yet people still seem to be talking about XUDs, answering a question that hasn't been asked.
Thanks given by:
To be fair Tom, on a 306 forum you'll always get "buy a 306", we own them because we think they're the best option....
Thanks given by:
(31-10-2013, 11:46 AM)THE_Liam Wrote: To be fair Tom, on a 306 forum you'll always get "buy a 306", we own them because we think they're the best option....

And that's exactly why I DIDNT ask the question. Wink

Pointless asking for car idea's on specific car forums.
Thanks given by:
I think you should buy a Vectra.

Oh wait.
Thanks given by:
Should I buy a 306?
Thanks given by:
(31-10-2013, 11:54 AM)JJ0063 Wrote: I think you should buy a Vectra.

Oh wait.

Made that mistake twice, not gonna do it a 3rd! Tongue

(31-10-2013, 11:56 AM)cpikey316_ Wrote: Should I buy a 306?

Yes. And make sure its a Bosched XUD with 40mm drop and cyclones. Wink
Thanks given by:
(31-10-2013, 12:00 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Yes. And make sure its a Bosched XUD with 40mm drop and cyclones. Wink

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1995-PEUGEOT-3...3386bd3058

Cheap as chips!
Thanks given by:
Expensive chips if they cost that much! I hope you'll be putting a bid in. Wink
Thanks given by:
haha nah

Love the fact that the rear interior doesn't match the front interior. But it is the 'premium' XTDT model, so should have rear electric windows!!
Thanks given by:
(31-10-2013, 11:24 AM)Toms306 Wrote:
(31-10-2013, 07:11 AM)Jonny81191 Wrote: For some reason, despite your moaning, people are trying to find a solution to your problem.

I was looking for a stop gap before the tax ran out on the Vectra, I left it too late as usual so I've had to tax it now. This thread is no longer even needed yet people still seem to be talking about XUDs, answering a question that hasn't been asked.

Fine, buy a rover 25 diesel, or an Astra 1.7TD, then when it goes wrong no-one on here will have a clue. And certainly no one will have spare parts going cheap.

Thanks given by:
Tom I could do you a pair of roller skates?

Or have you ever thought of buying a horse?
Thanks given by:
(31-10-2013, 12:07 PM)Jonny81191 Wrote:
(31-10-2013, 11:24 AM)Toms306 Wrote:

Fine, buy a rover 25 diesel, or an Astra 1.7TD, then when it goes wrong no-one on here will have a clue. And certainly no one will have spare parts going cheap.

I wont be buying either of those, turbo diesels are definitely off of the reliability list seeing as I seem to kill turbo's on everything I own...and its only a matter of time before one ends up running away. Plus they all leak boost everywhere and are generally a pain in the arse.

There are other forums for other cars you know lol....

And I never get cheap parts anyway, things are expensive when I need them, and worthless when I sell them....

(31-10-2013, 12:10 PM)JJ0063 Wrote: Tom I could do you a pair of roller skates?

Horses are unreliable tbh, poor management system. Not to mention the emmisions.... Confused
Thanks given by:
(31-10-2013, 12:10 PM)JJ0063 Wrote: Or have you ever thought of buying a horse?

Only if someone follows him around playing this.....

Thanks given by:
my last three cars have all been equal or under £205, and all have been road worthy/legal or needed very minimal work to make them

Also they are permanent cars, a grand on a car is a hell of a lot of money for a 'stop gap'!!
[Image: signiture.jpg]
Midnightclub Wrote:All the cool kids have ph 2 Nile 6's!
Thanks given by:
(31-10-2013, 12:20 PM)kernow_joe Wrote: my last three cars have all been equal or under £205, and all have been road worthy/legal or needed very minimal work to make them

Also they are permanent cars, a grand on a car is a hell of a lot of money for a 'stop gap'!!

Just like to point out as a regular visitor to Cornwall, cars are hard to find and expensive there, if you can get a bargain there you can get one anywhere...
Thanks given by:
(31-10-2013, 12:13 PM)Toms306 Wrote: There are other forums for other cars you know lol....

But you stick around here cos you like it, right? And no matter what car you have, you'll still be here asking questions and moaning that it's not doing 100mpg and handling like a race car with the ride comfort of a limo. Oh, and of course there's always the fact that parts have to be of oe quality and cost 50p.

Thanks given by:
(31-10-2013, 01:11 PM)Jonny81191 Wrote:
(31-10-2013, 12:13 PM)Toms306 Wrote: There are other forums for other cars you know lol....

But you stick around here cos you like it, right? And no matter what car you have, you'll still be here asking questions and moaning that it's not doing 100mpg and handling like a race car with the ride comfort of a limo. Oh, and of course there's always the fact that parts have to be of oe quality and cost 50p.

I stick around here cos I have nowhere else to go tbh.... Confused I know I don't add anything useful and should find something constructive to do.

I don't often complain about the Vectra (this thread excepted obviously) as I know people aren't interested.

Yeah OE quality would be nice...I've seen what happens with those aftermarket wishbones for example and don't really wanna risk that kind of thing.
Thanks given by:
(31-10-2013, 12:10 PM)JJ0063 Wrote: Tom I could do you a pair of roller skates?

Not enough horse power for Tom...

Tom seriously just find a xud spend a bit on one. My hdi is the most reliable cars I've owned I trust it to get me where ever I wish. Only reason I havnt sold it is because I trust it too much!
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Wanted: Hdi 8v head local to Reading or Basingstoke Paul_13 14 3,048 19-04-2016, 07:09 PM
Last Post: Piggy
  Diablo Phase 3 bumper local to South Yorkshire HDIkyle 0 843 22-12-2014, 10:36 PM
Last Post: HDIkyle
  Anyone local to me got some wheels with tyres for cheap? Pompey306mark 6 1,600 08-05-2014, 09:00 PM
Last Post: Matt