wierd handling

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
wierd handling
Right, I've driven 550 miles in the last couple of days, and noticed a strange thing, at 70mph the front end of the car goes 'light' as if it's trying to take off, the steering goes very light, and the front 'wanders' a bit, is this a problem anyone has had before?
Project: Formula Peugeot
Thanks given by:
1. check tyre pressures are not too high
2. get wheels balanced
3. for wandering, if the first 2 don't work---get tracking checked
Thanks given by:
Has the car had any work done recently?
Thanks given by:
sounds like tracking...toe out too much

either that or knackered bushes. although my xtdt does this at about 80 (on private roads!) I think its due to crappy front bumper pushing too much air under the front causing lift
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
tracking is fine, bushes all look ok, was all checked when I had the wheels off,

had a lot of toe out on the zx when I fitted the ph3 306 hubs, that felt dangerous and strange at 2mph, doesn't feel like that at all, and up until 65ish it's absoloutly planted and fine,

if it's lifting, would that cause a bit of +camber and reduce the footprint on the road at all? obv with a derv under the bonnet it may have taken more air to lift the extra weight?
Thanks given by:
xud is lighter than you think mate.

the only other time I have experience is was on a ML merc, at a silly speed on a motorway. front end went really light. very scarey.

what front bumper has it got?

and whats the height front/rear like?
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
the 1.4 alloy block is a lot lighter tho, it's got the ph1 crap thing on the front, see if I can get a pic

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f75/mo...d79077.jpg

back height to arch - about an inch, front height to arch - about 6inches, passes the flip flop test on the back, even a dr marten falls out the front...lol thinking I need to go -40 at least on the front

lol keep forgetting, tyre pressures at 30psi all round
Thanks given by:
Sounds like knackered shocks, had the same issue on the cabby, exactly as you've described it. Do you find it understeers horrendously on bumpy corners? Press down on a front corner and release, if it bounces much more than once then you've found your issue. Also, have a look on the damper body for signs of leaks.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
nah shocks are fine, no leaks or bouncing, and apart from 70mph+ there is no handling issues at all, no understeer, it's really grippy
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Estate handling mods Tabbiss 2 1,846 24-10-2019, 04:53 PM
Last Post: Eeyore
  Scary rear handling! plugy 11 4,165 15-06-2018, 12:37 AM
Last Post: plugy
  Dreadful Handling JTaylor2005 39 6,791 01-05-2016, 09:45 AM
Last Post: Paul_13