Peugeot 206 - XUD9 VNT Lash Up

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Peugeot 206 - XUD9 VNT Lash Up
id try and keep the gauges fitted oem style. my rover has them hidden, next the gear linkage. no radio in the car so I have the blanked off with an OEM pov spec radio blank. so the car looks dead basic from a glance.
Thanks given by:
A boost gauge only tells half the story on these turbos.

It's really quite crucial to monitor emps on a vnt when controlled in such a none oem way.

Shagged my first vnt which should have been in great condition after I rebuilt it, despite knowing exactly what emp it was running (too high :p)

Nice to see the engine out again, many people would agree its the proper way to do things Smile
Thanks given by:
I like your steering wheel.
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Looking good chap...keep at it
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(23-10-2013, 08:39 PM)procta Wrote: id try and keep the gauges fitted oem style. my rover has them hidden, next the gear linkage. no radio in the car so I have the blanked off with an OEM pov spec radio blank. so the car looks dead basic from a glance.

I'm trying, bit hard when I'm potentially going to have 7 gauges to fit.

(23-10-2013, 08:52 PM)zx_volcane Wrote: A boost gauge only tells half the story on these turbos.

It's really quite crucial to monitor emps on a vnt when controlled in such a none oem way.

Shagged my first vnt which should have been in great condition after I rebuilt it, despite knowing exactly what emp it was running (too high :p)

Nice to see the engine out again, many people would agree its the proper way to do things Smile

Wasn't too bad to drop the engine really, reckon hour and a half if I hadn't of got distracted. No shaft play on the turbo which is good, if I do ever blow the turbo I won't be replacing with a VNT unless I spy a bargain. So hopefully keep it going a bit longer. I know I should of had the gauges installed in the first place but couldn't afford it and I was pushed for time. Still, don't think I have hurt anything. I'm not really a hard driver.

(23-10-2013, 10:45 PM)Tom Wrote: I like your steering wheel.

Basic of the basic in the 206. It's alright. I'd like a suede one but I like OEM too much.

(24-10-2013, 06:16 AM)Piggy Wrote: Looking good chap...keep at it

Getting there...hopefully be worth it for the sound it'll 'hopefully' make. (and I don't mean the bang when (not if) the block throws a leg) You have to remember the block is a completely stock D8A with real unknown history with only win studs holding the head to the deck.
Thanks given by:
Never actually updated this when the engine went back in.

Paddle Clutch Fitted

[Image: null_zps26ca28c4.jpg]

Painted up the exhaust with some B&Q special BBQ paint....its quiet good actually hasn't flaked off yet - did paint the whole system.

[Image: null_zpsc1c9b3a2.jpg]

New Genuine pinch bolts and hub nuts (mine have had a hard time with the amount of times they've been removed)

[Image: null_zpsfce41155.jpg]

Going back together

[Image: null_zps88f5b106.jpg]

ready for front bumper all but

[Image: null_zpsdc92c99c.jpg]

[Image: null_zps43db3002.jpg]

Cobbled together some fittings

[Image: null_zps71be74e7.jpg]

Got my neighbour to machine this one down so I could get my 4mm pipe on.

[Image: null_zps1deb483c.jpg]

Couple gauges in

[Image: null_zpsca7eaed7.jpg]

Fitted a lairy rear box (was the only thing I had - though not as bad as carl's ;P ) but will sort a more subtle tip when I have 10 mins.

Frosty popped over and we attached the exhaust and finished off some bits and pieces, dropped the car down on its wheels and fired her up. Bled the coolant....which my homebrew coolant system seems to be able to do all by itself.

Went for a test run and all seemed to be well.

All the gauges worked, however the oil pressure one seems too fluctuate a minuscule amount (a bit like a 205 speedo effect) but still, it works. EGTs are average on a hard pull, reckon the exhaust helps with that. EMP seemed to be rather high, as in pinning a 60psi gauge high. Its just down to the turbo not fully coming on song until around 21psi which you then get an almighty surge in power (which yes, feels awesome but can't be good) and this makes the car quite laggy before then. Wound out the controller and its about 19psi now.

Maybe a bit too much fuel

[Image: null_zps2e2204eb.jpg]

Trouble is at the moment is that to maintain lower EMP you need to keep load on the turbo to get pressure up to 19psi, but is rather hard when cruising on the dual carriageway. So I have some thoughts but just need to have a play at some-point.

Weekends is the only time really I get to play on the car but seeing as I've been doing that for the last few months I've thought I'd do something different.

Still engine and diesel related but more agri spec.

[Image: null_zpsfe6dc4a1.jpg]

[Image: null_zpsc22ba48c.jpg]

On Sunday, Frosty popped round and helped bolt my spare (originally first fitted one to the 206) engine up to a stand I've borrowed Angel

[Image: null_zpsc3851e5d.jpg]

[Image: null_zpsfdb6b2ba.jpg]

[Image: null_zpsbd07375f.jpg]

[Image: null_zps5707d885.jpg]

So that's ready for a strip down now.
Thanks given by:
Nice update. Sounds like the VNT is being a bit of a pain in the ass, not filling me with confidence tbh!
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
(19-11-2013, 12:24 PM)silverzx Wrote: Nice update. Sounds like the VNT is being a bit of a pain in the ass, not filling me with confidence tbh!

It is and it isn't I knew it wouldn't be easy but it's coming together. It is worth it for that exhaust roar Wink and the lack of effort needed for a speedy pull off.

Having a sort of thought running round the old brain box for something RWD running an XUD setup ninja
Thanks given by:
That pin for the engine stand to stop it turning is on the floor in my workshop Mark, Chris found it shortly after i left must have dropped out lol. Glad to see a head bolt being used for substitute lol.
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
(19-11-2013, 12:53 PM)darrenjlobb Wrote: That pin for the engine stand to stop it turning is on the floor in my workshop Mark, Chris found it shortly after i left must have dropped out lol. Glad to see a head bolt being used for substitute lol.

haha yeah, perfect fit!
Thanks given by:
Yes another update even though I know pretty much everything that is going on with this though the turbo side of things does confuse me lol
Thanks given by:
Pinning 60psi emp is rather troubling :O
Thanks given by:
Love that fmic install, so very tidy. Is that a typo or has someone sold that to you as a paddle clutch..? Because, well, it's not lol... Confused
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:

Sure looks like a paddle clutch to me
*confused*
[Image: av5ym8.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(19-11-2013, 04:20 PM)Poodle Wrote: Love that fmic install, so very tidy. Is that a typo or has someone sold that to you as a paddle clutch..? Because, well, it's not lol... Confused

Thats 100% deffo a paddle clutch lol...
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
(19-11-2013, 04:20 PM)Poodle Wrote: Love that fmic install, so very tidy. Is that a typo or has someone sold that to you as a paddle clutch..? Because, well, it's not lol... Confused

Going to explain any further? I got marks and my paddle clutch from CG. 4 paddle unsprung friction plate. We're both using standard valeo pressure plate and bearing
Thanks given by:
Total facepalm, my mobile only showed me the left half of the picture. So yeah, that absolutely is a paddle clutch and i have my coat on, my bad! Rofl
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(19-11-2013, 06:03 PM)Poodle Wrote: Total facepalm, my mobile only showed me the left half of the picture. So yeah, that absolutely is a paddle clutch and i have my coat on, my bad! Rofl

Lol
Thanks given by:
Oh poodle I was just about to comment!
Great project this, that clutch is what I had on the 205 and will be fitting to the Sedan, once they bed it they grip like f*ck! And having no springs isn't really that bad in all fairness.
Stage 2 XUD Sedan
Thanks given by:
(19-11-2013, 11:33 AM)mr_fish Wrote: Fitted a lairy rear box (was the only thing I had - though not as bad as carl's ;P ) but will sort a more subtle tip when I have 10 mins.

Screw you dude!!

For that comment I hope you never figure out VNT control and you get so stressed you lose all your hair Tongue

Great progress, would love to be taken out for a drive at some time in this..... Smile
Thanks given by:
(19-11-2013, 03:04 PM)zx_volcane Wrote: Pinning 60psi emp is rather troubling :O

Don't worry I'm on the case Wink she'll be reet though (hopefully Confused)

(19-11-2013, 06:26 PM)strictly_perv Wrote: Oh poodle I was just about to comment!
Great project this, that clutch is what I had on the 205 and will be fitting to the Sedan, once they bed it they grip like f*ck! And having no springs isn't really that bad in all fairness.

Cheers, done a few miles with the clutch now, including town driving...when warm - brilliant, when cold - quite snappy I find but seems to be ok.

(19-11-2013, 11:13 PM)c.gerrard Wrote:
(19-11-2013, 11:33 AM)mr_fish Wrote: Fitted a lairy rear box (was the only thing I had - though not as bad as carl's ;P ) but will sort a more subtle tip when I have 10 mins.

Screw you dude!!

For that comment I hope you never figure out VNT control and you get so stressed you lose all your hair Tongue

Great progress, would love to be taken out for a drive at some time in this..... Smile

did I say bad? I meant....'as free flowing as carl's' Big Grin

Latest issue with the car (not turbo related for once), the alternator seems to have flicked me the 'v' sign and quit it's job.
Thanks given by:
How have you plumbed your EMP probe/gauge in? Ruan's told me they aren't the easiest thing to keep secured.
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
Thanks given by:
(20-11-2013, 10:54 AM)silverzx Wrote: How have you plumbed your EMP probe/gauge in? Ruan's told me they aren't the easiest thing to keep secured.

Tis a thing of beauty and a complete lashup (naturally), people think I have a brake line running over my engine. Unfortunately it doesn't look like I have any photos. Will see if I can get some tonight.

Drilled and tapped the manifold, screwed a fitting in, flared a length of copper brake line and clamped that to the fitting. Ran that up to the top of the inlet manifold, slid another brake fitting on, flared the end of the copper, screwed into a brass fitting that changes the pipe to the small nylon type. Run that inside the car up to the dash and connected it to a random gauge I found.

as said, a bit of a bodge, but its secure enough, was nigh on FOC to do (which is always good), and works fine.
Thanks given by:
(20-11-2013, 11:49 AM)mr_fish Wrote:
(20-11-2013, 10:54 AM)silverzx Wrote: How have you plumbed your EMP probe/gauge in? Ruan's told me they aren't the easiest thing to keep secured.

Tis a thing of beauty and a complete lashup (naturally), people think I have a brake line running over my engine. Unfortunately it doesn't look like I have any photos. Will see if I can get some tonight.

Drilled and tapped the manifold, screwed a fitting in, flared a length of copper brake line and clamped that to the fitting. Ran that up to the top of the inlet manifold, slid another brake fitting on, flared the end of the copper, screwed into a brass fitting that changes the pipe to the small nylon type. Run that inside the car up to the dash and connected it to a random gauge I found.

as said, a bit of a bodge, but its secure enough, was nigh on FOC to do (which is always good), and works fine.

He did mention using copper line as it's pretty impossible to blow/destroy from preassure alone!

I'll have to look into that then, perhaps you could PM / post some pictures up at some point! Blush
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
Thanks given by:
Quick pull away clip from ages ago when the derv crew were round and after dropping the exhaust.

Cheers to Frosty for whipping his phone out in time.
Thanks given by:
Im sure I have seen this video somewhere before lol
Thanks given by:
I want a turbo that makes epic win noises like that! Sad
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Just been out for a drive In this thing and it shifts the noise for the vnt is epic good fun
[Image: mike_sig_zpsd438fb98.jpg]

Thanks given by:
(28-11-2013, 10:07 PM)mikey b Wrote: Just been out for a drive In this thing and it shifts the noise for the vnt is epic good fun

I am not surprised, as its a small car with a wound up engine in.
Thanks given by:
Nothing much changed really, car is being used daily as my HDi is being worked on. Surprisingly it is behaving at the moment though with all the abuse its getting. I do like driving it but the spool of the turbo and drone of the exhaust is a bit monotonous.

- VNT control is working as well as it's allowed so far

- Changed the Nimrods for some 15" steels which ought to of been painted but wasn't really fussed at the time.

- Clutch has bedded in nicely, only a faint shudder when pulling away when cold but apart from that it's quite alright to drive

- Latest change being the exhaust was a bit 'in your face' and I'm really an OEM+ fan so (with help from another radger) we lashed up a downturn out of some old lorry exhaust.

Anyways, updates are useless without a couple of pictures.

Quick picture from when I went and got fuel the other night, car is hanging really but I leave for work in the dark and return home in the dark so lack of enthusiasm to wash it.

[Image: 3CE38419-9659-423E-A9F4-65A3A8704036_zpsezemyhvl.jpg]

One of the tip lashed up....spy the 11mm coal hanging off the back...

[Image: D328C119-E161-40F1-ABDB-CFCF39959305_zpsprakadww.jpg]

and the next project...been left out for a couple years, quite the relic but FOC so was worth a go....and yes it does run to a fashion now.

[Image: 72895CEA-2C32-489E-AF5E-FD5E3ABFBB19_zpspkrkvxtj.jpg]

Cheers for Looking
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Project FCS peugeot partner xud9 engine Jamieh2013 30 8,306 08-08-2015, 04:31 PM
Last Post: Jamieh2013