Guide: Front and Rear seat removal

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Guide: Front and Rear seat removal
Ok, so i decided to start this guide after i asked previously, found no thread and noticed a few others have been wondering.

n.b. This was all done on a phase 1, models and phases may differ slightly

Removing Front Seats

The seat intself is set on a pair of rails, which are attached to the floor. The seats are then attaced to these rails. Note when taking the seats out of the car, there is a cable running under the seat which you must disconnect i believe this is connected alongside the airbags? i found it was connected to a sensor on the seatbelts.
Alternately, if you wish not to un-plug this, you can remove the frame the plug sits in, quite somply slide it out.

There are 4 screws holding in each seat, in each corner. They're heald in with a 40 Torx sized screw.

[Image: sjM78.jpg]

It's easiest to do the front set of screws first as they're the most awquard to get to, otherwise you fight with a moving seat coming to your last screw.

The screw closest to the centre of your car is the hardest to undo. i found the easiest way was to find yourself an extension to your screwdriver, then use your 40 torx piece as normal, force the screwdrive between the seat cushion and the centre console of the car, keep pushing down and screw.

[Image: QgdcX.jpg]

once you've removed your front screws, slide the chairs forward, an jump into the back seats Wink ......
From here its easiest to access the screws.
undo these screws and the chair should be removed.

[Image: LpElv.jpg]

as mentioned above, ensure wire underneath is disconnected!

take the seat out, and to put new seats back in, exactly the same process, put the back screws in first so you have stability when putting the front in. SIMPLE!

Removing Rear Seats

Onto the benches! simply pull them up, theres no bolts or screws attached to these, they simply 'roll' forward on a bar.

[Image: SC2cV.jpg]

These also are very simple once know how!

Simply lay the seats flat once the benches are out and lift up the carpet which is at the base of the back rests. Each side will have a 13mm bolt.

[Image: 2dzUO.jpg]

[Image: nqf3v.jpg]

[Image: qnezX.jpg]

and voila, your rear seats are removed and your left with a gaping hole into the boot

[Image: DQTD6.jpg]

perfect for dogging! ...or simply putting the dogs in Tongue

eaxctly the same in putting the new seats back in, back rests in first ensuring 2 X 13mm bolts inserted for each back rest, then benches in, ensuring your seatbelts are visible otherwise its annoying when you can't find them Wink

hope this is easy enough to follow, it really is quite simple!
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
When you put the seats back in put the back bolts in at first into the larger holes but make sure they are loose. Then pull the seat back and line up the holes so the front bolts go in as the holes have to be dead lined up and the back ones don't. Do then up to the max and then slide the seat forward and do the back ones up!

Because the front bolts are quite hard to get at consider putting a piece of card between your seats and the screwdriver as you dont want to rip the cloth or leather. For the drivers seat make sure what i call the 'fun lever' or the heigh adjustment lever is fully down. i.e. pointing forwards not up! This makes it easier to get to the bolts.

[Image: 2011-05-20123323.jpg]

To confirm the cable under the seat are the pretensioner wires for the pretensioners located on the seat belt part of the seat. If there are 2 more wires then they are for the side airbags which are built into some models (Year 2000 onwards). In an accident the pretensioners fire which pulls the seat belt tighter. The stalks of the pretensioners should be straight with no bumps whereas if the seats came out of a crashed car the stalk would be shriveled, shorter and bumpy.

[Image: 2011-05-20122932.jpg]

The orange clips that hold the cables together are prone for making bad contact. This can result in the orange airbag light flashing on the dash. All you have to do is cut off the orange clips and solder the wires together under the seat to make a good contact. Its easiest to remove the headrest and tip the seat forwards so that you can work underneath it.

[Image: 2011-05-20121723.jpg]

[Image: 2011-05-20125105.jpg]

Hope that helps!
Sam
Thanks given by:
good guide that. looks simple.
[Image: newsig_zpsee86fa10.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Good guide
Thanks given by:
People need a guide for removing seats? Lol
[Image: c6769879.jpg] TEAM TRACK CAR + An E60 530d M-Sport for the daily
Thanks given by:
Ian Wrote:People need a guide for removing seats? Lol

Some might
Thanks given by:

there was a guide for debadging.... sounds simple, i know.

I never had a CLUE how to remove seats when i had never touched it before.

I can do things others cant, and vice versa.

sharing knowledge is essential, its free and you can't assume everyone knows everything... that would be boring.
Thanks given by:
ginge191 Wrote:

there was a guide for debadging.... sounds simple, i know.

I never had a CLUE how to remove seats when i had never touched it before.

I can do things others cant, and vice versa.

sharing knowledge is essential, its free and you can't assume everyone knows everything... that would be boring.

Your 100% right there ginger. Could have put it in the right bloody section though!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
NiallHarper Wrote:Your 100% right there ginger. Could have put it in the right bloody section though!

dont tell anyone, but this was one of the first posts and im pretty sure there was no "guides" section, but shhh ninja
Thanks given by:
moved
PH1 306 XUD - 11mm VE, Big 'bine, TMIC = Plenty of coal, abuse, heatsoak and a power band of 4.3k - 6k = One shagged car.
[Image: sig2.png]
Thanks given by:
Good guide, however when i picked up that front bumper from you ginge and tried to pull the bottom half of the rear seats up the right hand side seemed stuck and unable to move, still aint found out what it could be, it also looks like that side has moved forward slightly leaving a gap between the bottom half and the top half of the rear seats if you know what i mean?
any ideas?
[Image: Sig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Garlicbread Wrote:Good guide, however when i picked up that front bumper from you ginge and tried to pull the bottom half of the rear seats up the right hand side seemed stuck and unable to move, still aint found out what it could be, it also looks like that side has moved forward slightly leaving a gap between the bottom half and the top half of the rear seats if you know what i mean?
any ideas?

fot that stuck part, i can only suggest the bolt is catching it, theres a bolt which it slots into - try removing, the front of the bench first, its just slotted it - give it some welly!

as for the gap, im assuming either the bench isn't slotted in correctly om the front OR the back rests are'nt bolted all the way down, any give in any part at all?
Thanks given by:
ginge191 Wrote:fot that stuck part, i can only suggest the bolt is catching it, theres a bolt which it slots into - try removing, the front of the bench first, its just slotted it - give it some welly!

as for the gap, im assuming either the bench isn't slotted in correctly om the front OR the back rests are'nt bolted all the way down, any give in any part at all?

Well i try to move it but doesnt move even with a bit of welly! where abouts is this bolt? near the front hinge??

I think i got the gap ever since i had some welding gas lent on it while it was fully up so not sure if it bent it somehow or whatever?
[Image: Sig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
[Image: DQTD6.jpg]

this one... in the middle, gold bolt
Thanks given by:
Like the weed stalk ginge!! - http://i.imgur.com/QgdcX.jpg
Thanks given by:
Doh
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Guide: Front seat ghandi0007 0 1,207 14-04-2018, 05:50 PM
Last Post: ghandi0007
  GUIDE: Gear Knob Removal Eeyore 21 13,620 12-04-2018, 05:02 PM
Last Post: Magenta Sunset
  Guide - Removing Front Bumper Ambrosio 18 18,057 21-10-2015, 09:06 PM
Last Post: cheapo