Quick td04 question

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Quick td04 question
Is the pipe coming off the turbo an oil drain pipe? If so can I use my existing one on my k03 or will I need to make a new one up so it doesnt hit the manifold.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks given by:
the one sticking out the top is indeed the oil return
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
You need to spin the centre cartridge - that pipe must be pointing directly downwards.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
(18-04-2013, 10:38 PM)Ruan Wrote: You need to spin the centre cartridge - that pipe must be pointing directly downwards.

This.

You need to 'clock' the turbo. Big pair of beefy circlip pliers, make sure they are strong as I bent a set trying to undo mine. I'd recommend soaking it overnight, made mine a lot easier to do.

EDIT: I made a thread when I was doing mine, some info in there about spinning the cartridge. http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-11511.html
Thanks given by:
i used a gt15 oil return i believe on mine but one on the k14 looked the same ment i could use the standard rubber hose to saves messing around Smile

Thanks given by:
Is anyone willing to go into detail about clocking the turbo / moving the oil return? Some pictures would be good Smile
Thanks for the help
Thanks given by:
(18-04-2013, 10:38 PM)Ruan Wrote: You need to spin the centre cartridge - that pipe must be pointing directly downwards.

Just a bit of a hijack; but ruan, i clocked the VNT, and there's only 3 points where it can be clocked for the vanes to line up; i'll get a pic if it doesnt make sense.

Anyway, i can't get a direct downwards drain (lets say, direct down is at 90*, straight down) well my drain is at about 100*/110*. Is this a huge issue? is it going to be detramental to the oil flow?
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:

(19-04-2013, 09:32 AM)scottbmxer Wrote: Is anyone willing to go into detail about clocking the turbo / moving the oil return? Some pictures would be good Smile
Thanks for the help

Bump?
Thanks given by:
(19-04-2013, 09:36 AM)ginge191 Wrote:

Just a bit of a hijack; but ruan, i clocked the VNT, and there's only 3 points where it can be clocked for the vanes to line up; i'll get a pic if it doesnt make sense.

Anyway, i can't get a direct downwards drain (lets say, direct down is at 90*, straight down) well my drain is at about 100*/110*. Is this a huge issue? is it going to be detramental to the oil flow?

Ginge:
Oil drain can be up to 30degree off vertical and still be ok.

Scottbmxer:

As bigcheez2k3 said, you'll need to take bot the hot and the cold sides off the center cartridge, then rotate to get the angles you need.

Basically you want the centre cartridge with the oil drain ponting directly vertically down (taking into account that the engine leans back when in the car) You can get a good approximation of angle by comparing to standard turbo.

iirc coldside is held on by a huge circlip and you need massive circlip pliers to get it, be careful its under a lot of pressure and could go flying. Hotside is held on by the metal band you just undo.

Soaking in some sort of penetrating oil might help, tapping gently with a copper mallet might also be required to separate everything. Or you may be lucky and its just falls apart all lovely.

Careful as you do separate that you don't hit / damage the blades or bend the shaft.

Clean everything up before putting back together so both side go on and rotate easily before tightening back down.

Oil return, just bolt on the one from the standard turbo, you may have to elongate the holes to match the TD04, can't remember. You might need a slightly longer bit of rubber flexi to block, or standard one might just reach.

I think there might be some pics in one of my project threads when I stuck either a t25 or td04 on

*edit have a look here http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-2137-page-2.html
Thanks given by:
The hotside on mine doesnt have any band you can undo! Picture above ^^
Thanks given by:
Here's a pic of mine, it should have one like this, see the silver clamp to the right of the water pipes/oil drain.

[Image: ic7Mq3T.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Nope clamp didnt come with mine! Looks like it might be something else ill have to purchase! Arghhhh
Thanks given by:
Can't see why someone would sell one without it but good that it's been spotted now than once it's on the car.
Thanks given by:
Ill have to see how hard it is to clock as its really tight without the clamp! I have a k03 so hopefully I can use my existing hose if its like the k14 like chris said
Thanks given by:
Sorry to jump in here but that pic at the top is a TD04 for sure but, is it just me or is the hot side welded onto the centre cartridge?! it looks like someone has lost the band and welded it on instead..........

Because if I'm tight your pretty much fecked and have been sold a heap of crap that is totally useless to you making it time to look for another turbo, hope it wasn't expensive!

Can't really tell from the pic though if i'm honest Tongue
Team Orange Engine Bay

My flickr photostream - http://www.flickr.com/photos/markairey
Thanks given by:
Just clicked on the image and blown it up to full size and I can see what Mark is saying, I believe he's right. There should be a visible line where the 2 pieces meet.
Thanks given by:
Nah dw its defo not welded! It has a clear line to seperate them. Thats just a bad photo!

Thanks given by:
^^ I will trust what your saying but that pic doesn't make it look any better :/

if its not welded it looks like it will be fun to remove lol
Team Orange Engine Bay

My flickr photostream - http://www.flickr.com/photos/markairey
Thanks given by:
Doesnt look welded to me but casting looks a funny colour to say its not been welded!? Unless its just my eyes certainly looks like some heat has been produced or applied
[Image: J5hxCcC.jpg]
Thanks given by:
You saying the exhaust side looks like it got hot? Wink
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Hmm. That's gonna be fun getting it to part company lol

I'd get it soaking in some decent penetration oil ASAP, or even just chuck it in a bucketful of diesel for a week.
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
Heres a close up photo as im home -

Thanks given by:
Chisel and smash to f*ck lol
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
What are the 2 holes in between the oil feed and the drain pipe? 2 on one side is open and the other side is capped off
Thanks given by:
(23-04-2013, 06:48 PM)Tom Wrote: Chisel and smash to f*ck lol

Yeah, sure. Then buy another one when you break it.

You are mostly right though, it's just the "smash to F*ck" bit I'd disagree with.

Get a chisel and tap it into the gap on one side, then rotate it and repeat on the other side. Repeat this a few times and it should be starting to get loose. At this point I'd get a couple of big screwdrivers, put the hotside in a vice so the turbo is sticking directly upwards and just lever it out evenly with the screwdrivers. That way you won't damage it.
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
I've beaten a couple off and they were fine, its the cold side i broke! lmao

Just make sure it comes up and out/off nice and straight so you dont nick any blades.
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Quick update! I got the hotside seperated -

Thanks given by:
Good news mate! I also clocked mine today!
You'll have to take that oil line and drain off to get the circlip out though! Squeeze up the clip then wedge a screwdriver in there and lever it out! Mind it doesnt shoot out and hit you in the eye though!
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Managed to get the circlip out! Now whats the best way to clock it round??

Thanks given by:
You have to knock it off and grind the locking tab off before you can move it around,
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Quick Fuel Pump Question lazareth1 5 1,396 28-07-2013, 10:37 AM
Last Post: lazareth1
  Another quick td04 question for who knows :) scottbmxer 8 2,313 19-07-2013, 05:38 PM
Last Post: scottbmxer
  quick boost gauge question no2lurch 5 2,010 28-04-2013, 10:08 PM
Last Post: Lolben91