Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Veg additive
anyone used any?
if so what?
good bad?

or is it just a waste of moneyUndecided
Thanks given by:
Some people use two stroke. Diesel. Petrol. Various things. To be fair id quite like to know if any have been proven effective
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
On the veg oil fourm there's a few people using vegi booster there's a few others but I forgot the names they add more octane I belive so burns better and gives more power I've personally not used it but planning on getting some soon be nice to see what difference it makes

Thanks given by:
Is it 10% petrol thats halfs the viscosity? I remember reading something like that, always used to put petrol in mine, but then again i used to run used engine oil, veg, brake fluid, and anything else oil based that would burn.
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
depending on the temp i use anywhere between 10 and 50% diesel in mine..
Given the choice between Niall and the sheep. I would choose the sheep!
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
i've used cetane boosters before and i think they helped lol, or maybe it was placebo Big Grin
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
I use 100 % veg atm. Im feeling I should put something else in now. Start ups a little lumpy thats about it though
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks given by:
Veggie and bio folk often use 2EHN (2 Ethylhexyl Nitrate) which increases the Cetane index of the fuel. This is the active ingredient in the likes of Redex and such, but these products have it very diluted. I haven't seen anybody say it doesn't work, and there is indeed a proper research paper floating around out there that shows that it is effective in derv fuel. Adding petrol to veg is a very effective at reducing viscosity but unfortunately it is also a serious cetane retardant, which can be overcome by using 2EHN. I run 80/20 WVO/misfuel all year round and use 2EHN at 0.1% as a matter od course, the biggest thing I notice is improved cold starting.

http://www.trinity-research.co.uk/produc...ucts_id=49
'95 Peugeot 405 GLX with XU10J4RS and ITB's
'97 Peugeot 406 1.9TD with TD04
'05 RenaultSport 182 Cup
Thanks given by:
i keep hearing about that veggie boost but cant seem to see anywhere to buy it.

regarding the 2EHN (2 Ethylhexyl Nitrate) how much would you mix it with to let say 20L of SVO. at £12.00 a L i can see it lasting a while.
Thanks given by:
Veggie Boost is 2EHN and was sold by the guy that runs vegetableoildiesel, but I've heard it's not available at the moment. For 20 litres start with 20ml.
'05 RenaultSport 182 Cup
Thanks given by:
People also use acetone in small quantitys. I have used 2EHN ( called biotane at trinity) before when I've been using 10% petrol in winter and it does seem to make a difference.
Thanks given by:
I've tried some this 2-EHN today in my veg oil really has made a fair difference, engine seems quiter pulls alot better burns cleaner I used 25ml to 20L of veg, I'm pretty impressed at the min with it only done about 100mile tho so will see how I get on with it.

Thanks given by:
FYI if you use acetone its illegal.

Acetone is great for the production of biodiesel but gets removed befote use as a fuel.

Cetane booster as noted is great to use along with petrol due to the cetane rating issues as mentioned.

Can be had on ebay by the litre. A litre does a 1000 litres of fuel basically.
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Methanol is used in the production of BD as a catalyst, acetone is not used at any point of the process. The people that use it as a fuel additive add it in miniscule quantities, something like 1/15th of one percent, so I wouldn't worry about any legal issues. Any significant quantities would likely wreck any rubber components in the fuel system I would have thought. The theory is that it reduces surface tension of the fuel I think, and thereby improving fuel atomisation. Lots of debate out there about it, but it doesn't seem conclusive if it's worthwhile or not.
'05 RenaultSport 182 Cup
Thanks given by:
Trinity happen to be not too far from me.
So your dose cost 30p
12quid for 1L bottle.

Might give it a go.
So far the 306 is happy enough on veg. Some miss fuel in there, 5%, 1 micron WVO.

When I say happy, there was an enormous coaling this morning, but I guess when I booted it she must have still been in cold mode ?
It didn't do it any time at all later on with more booting.
Thanks given by:
(13-08-2014, 10:23 PM)Chris_90 Wrote: I've tried some this 2-EHN today in my veg oil really has made a fair difference, engine seems quiter pulls alot better burns cleaner I used 25ml to 20L of veg, I'm pretty impressed at the min with it only done about 100mile tho so will see how I get on with it.

Think you could reduce your ratio if you don't use petrol.
Thanks given by:
(14-08-2014, 04:24 PM)Uberderv Wrote:
(13-08-2014, 10:23 PM)Chris_90 Wrote: I've tried some this 2-EHN today in my veg oil really has made a fair difference, engine seems quiter pulls alot better burns cleaner I used 25ml to 20L of veg, I'm pretty impressed at the min with it only done about 100mile tho so will see how I get on with it.

Think you could reduce your ratio if you don't use petrol.

What ratio should I go for? I read over on veg oil fourm some one was using 40ml to 20L so thought 25ml was a low amount already

Thanks given by:
For straight VO I would probs only use 15ml in 20L. The biggest gains are to be had when using petrol. 10% petrol with a squirt of biotane will make the car start and run alot better all year round.
Thanks given by:
(15-08-2014, 10:05 AM)Uberderv Wrote: For straight VO I would probs only use 15ml in 20L. The biggest gains are to be had when using petrol. 10% petrol with a squirt of biotane will make the car start and run alot better all year round.

Ok I don't use petrol I did when I first got the car and the oil level rose by about half a litre so ditched the petrol and it's been fine ever since. Ill drop my dose to 15ml and see how it goes.

Thanks given by:
My Mrs is CONVINCED that putting 10% petrol in will just lead to the petrol/veg separating over a few days and therefore cause the petrol to sit on the top of the veg in the tank.. Angel
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
No I don't think it works like that mate.
Thanks given by:
Petrol does not separate once mixed, it can cause vapour lock if used in to high ratios.
Thanks given by:
How much to use on full tank though??
Thanks given by:
just to add re: acetone.

if helps separate fluids during settling, when using wvo as fuel (not bio diesel as I said before!). It creates a filter layer as it were allowing clean oil to sit ontop.

I wouldnt think it would therefore be best in your tank!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(15-08-2014, 11:38 AM)Uberderv Wrote: Petrol does not separate once mixed, it can cause vapour lock if used in to high ratios.

During winter.
It also helps to stop the veg settling out into fats.
Though that floats around in small bits that's much easier to pump and soon melts with the addition of heat.
Thanks given by:
want to get on bio diesel boys its the future !! veg oil is good but can cause ring gumming reference adding petrol no real set amount to add its mainly trail & error depending on the car & amount of veg , you will find out what sort of ratio works out best depending on weather & outside temps as well
Thanks given by:
Why bio diesel its more expensive more of a pain. Harder to get and not as satisfying to run
Thanks given by:
(15-08-2014, 04:25 PM)bashbarnard Wrote: Why bio diesel its more expensive more of a pain. Harder to get and not as satisfying to run

Totally agree. Most of the time you can keep your Bio lottery ta. All depends on who's made it and whether that particular batch is any good too.
Bosch pump, straight veg oil in summer and up to a 10% petrol mix depending on how cold it is, job done. Have read and heard all the horror stories about veg that are all over the net and in a Pug engine found them to be all bollox.
Thanks given by:
Yep me too.
Been running veg for over 5 years now, zero issues whatsoever, probably done near 80k on the stuff.

I've read all the horror stories, I think it's the more modern engines like the VAG stuff that it effects.
Thanks given by:
Yes.
Ring gumming on a IDI isn't an issue so much as long as it's not idling for very long periods (ie: running cool) and you look after your engine oil, replacing it regularly.
5K miles is a good number IMHO.

On things like the AFN engine in a VAG stuff, ring gumming is a problem because they run so much cooler, especially at idle in traffic.
In fact I'd go further to say that you will suffer ring gumming in a VAG direct injection and you should take steps to combat it - water injection (steam) seems the best way.
Thanks given by: