Brake rebuilding

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brake rebuilding
Right moved the 306 today after a week of it sitting on the drive and both rear callipers are chronically binding so its time for a rebuild. Got a rebuild kit on the way but was wondering if anyone had found a way to improve handbrake efficiency so i can do skids in mcdonnalds car park? I know the 306 hand brake design is chronically shit but id rather not have to buy a land anchor just to stop my car rolling down hills!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
I'm considering modifying (extending) the caliper arms to increase leverage, I don't think it'd take much to do it TBH, a cm or so should suffice.

Alternatively, a guy at FCS had spacers like on a mountain bike, with bigger discs. That looked like it'd do the job!
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
Just leave it in gear like every other 306 owner lol.

The DTurbo had 2 new rear calipers within the last year....and doesn't hold well at all lol, infact I cant leave it on the handbrake alone on my drive as it just rolls back off again. I imagine they left the factory with poor handbrakes.
Thanks given by:
(09-08-2013, 09:40 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Just leave it in gear like every other 306 owner lol.

The DTurbo had 2 new rear calipers within the last year....and doesn't hold well at all lol, infact I cant leave it on the handbrake alone on my drive as it just rolls back off again. I imagine they left the factory with poor handbrakes.

Tom i dont think any handbrake works that well. Im driving a brand spanking new 3 series at the moment and when its in drive with the handbrake on as hard as i can get it (giggidy), it still creeps forwards!

Jonny, like the idea! When i take mine apart, i will be looking at the mechanism. It feels like there is a lot of slack to take up before the piston is actually moved so might be able to work something there.
Ideally, id like to go to Hispec tomorrow and get a set of twin piston callipers but i dont have a spare £300 lol
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
(09-08-2013, 09:35 PM)Niall Wrote: was wondering if anyone had found a way to improve handbrake efficiency so i can do skids in mcdonnalds car park?

put the rear wheels on tea trays that will help you in breaking the friction of the tyres on the road Big Grin
Thanks given by:
I wasn't thinking of anything more complex than simply welding a bit of bar in place to extend the lever that the cable acts upon.
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rebuilding rear calipers Woody. 13 6,691 02-09-2014, 05:07 PM
Last Post: Woody.
  Rebuilding rear axle DeeTurbo 3 1,549 06-04-2013, 09:31 AM
Last Post: dturbopeck