306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: removing O/S driveshaft
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Anyone got any idea how this shaft comes out.

I've removed the 2, 11mm bolts on the engine mount - pulled hard, nothing.
I've tried removing the bracket at the gearbox where the speedo cable(?) plugs into, levered and still nothing.
I've tried removing the engine mount altogether and pulling, again, nothing.

Any ideas?
Theres 3 bolts on the rear engine mount
(02-04-2013, 05:51 PM)Niall Wrote: [ -> ]Theres 3 bolts on the rear engine mount

sorry, i mean, i removed the 2, 11mm bolts holding the shaft on the mount, and following this, i further removed the entire mount/bracket (17mm iirc?)

but yeh, the lower mount is completely lose and seperated from the block
A big f*cking hammer. Honestly, it will be seized in really tight. Theres nothing else holding it except those little odd shape 11mm bolts.

On the 3 HDi ones I've removed so far they've all needed a lot of whacking....
(02-04-2013, 06:01 PM)Toms306 Wrote: [ -> ]A big f*cking hammer. Honestly, it will be seized in really tight.

On the 3 HDi ones I've removed so far they've all needed a lot of whacking....

but where exactly am i wacking?
The shaft has a bearing ring around it. Whack this ring out of the mount, towards the wheel end of the shaft obviously. You'll need a chisel or crowbar to focus the hammer force just on the ring.
(02-04-2013, 06:04 PM)Toms306 Wrote: [ -> ]The shaft has a bearing ring around it. Whack this ring out of the mount, towards the wheel end of the shaft obviously.

ok, but then surely that'll just free up tje driveshaft from the mount, not the gearbox?
Nothing holds it in the gearbox. Its just the fact its stuck in the mount that stops it coming out of the 'box itself. Smile

Oh hang on....are you saying the mount is completely free now (not attached to anything except the shaft) but the shaft is still stuck in the box?

If so I've no idea as theres nothing holding it in the box!! Confused I thought you were trying to get it out of the mount which is the usual issue lol.
(02-04-2013, 06:07 PM)Toms306 Wrote: [ -> ]Nothing holds it in the gearbox. Its just the fact its stuck in the mount that stops it coming out of the 'box itself. Smile

hmm ok, this confuses me - i've disconnected the mount from the block, and taken a hammer to the mount, but nothing, no shaft movement Undecided
The mount is completely off the block? And the shaft is out of the hub? If so mtfu and give it a whack Smile
Hmm. Confused

And the shafts got space around it to come out yeah? Not caught on something daft?
I used a ball joint splitter on the bearing to knock it out. 2 hits and came out piece a piss. Puts pressure on both sides then
(02-04-2013, 06:14 PM)Danny2009 Wrote: [ -> ]The mount is completely off the block? And the shaft is out of the hub? If so mtfu and give it a whack Smile

Shaft is still in tbhe hub, merely for convenience and i dont fancy rounding and threads hitting the shaft out, theres enough play to get the shaft out, thats for sure - it's all going back in eventually

(02-04-2013, 06:15 PM)Toms306 Wrote: [ -> ]Hmm. Confused

And the shafts got space around it to come out yeah? Not caught on something daft?

space, yep as said in reply to danny ^^^
Nope - not from what i can see, i've stopped for the day as its getting cold and dark - will have another look tomorrow for sure.
I assume you've popped the bottom ball joint off then. Wink
(02-04-2013, 06:21 PM)Toms306 Wrote: [ -> ]I assume you've popped the bottom ball joint off then. Wink

lol yes its all free
Haha, thought I'd better check just incase... lol

I will say though, you'll wish you'd just undone the hub nut. It took us ages to remove the shaft on rowells without removing the hub nut. Took about 10 mins to remove mine last week, including hub nut removal....

The only suggestion I can think of is hitting it through from the NS shaft hole with a long but fairly thin bar if thats possible.
Take the shaft out the hub and it will come out with a good pull then, don't struggle just get it out the hub
(02-04-2013, 06:46 PM)Danny2009 Wrote: [ -> ]Take the shaft out the hub and it will come out with a good pull then, don't struggle just get it out the hub

im just worried about damaging the boots?
Iirc didnt this one twist a little first then pull out...

Positive one of my driveshafts twisted out first
defo get it out the hub...
have one guy holding tension on the shaft (pulling a bit)

then wack it!!!
Hold the bracket and tug that you will be fine
hmm ok, cheeers for the info - i'll have another bash tomorrow
Yeah as others have said....have a good tug on your shaft and it'll come.... Wink
Smash the rear engine mount off the shaft first.
Assuming you're on about this boyo
[Image: Image2720_zps55a67598.jpg]

Bolt the mount to the engine, plusgas the bearing, leave for a while.

Then get a block of wood, put it to the inner shaft's cup and smash it with a hammer. Have someone hold up the outer shaft as you do this. Mind the dust guard as you take the shaft out fully

Ta-da! Big Grin
Apart from making sure it's not in gear and pulling the driveshaft perfectly straight there should be nothing holding it in the gearbox.

Personally i'd have thought it would be easier to do it with the mount still attached so you could use two hands to batter the shaft out..?
Get a bar and lever it out, Or like 2 posts above block of wood on the cup and whack it.
So finally - resolved, well as much as possible.

Ended up taking the engine out WITH the shaft attached - max came round, again, he was stunned it wasnt shifting.

Engine came out, eventually from underneath the car Doh

Popped the engine on it's back, bracket meet sledgehammer, sledgehammer meet bracket. HUGE hit, nothing... again X20 and we got a slight movement. 5 minutes of smashing and eventually the shaft came out. the speedo had completly fallen apart. something along the line had seized the shaft up. Bought a new one, £44 picked up tomorrow.

So no, connor, spellowe and all the haterz, i'm not that special. Popcorn <--- deserved popcorn
(03-04-2013, 08:23 PM)ginge191 Wrote: [ -> ]So finally - resolved, well as much as possible.

Ended up taking the engine out WITH the shaft attached - max came round, again, he was stunned it wasnt shifting.

Engine came out, eventually from underneath the car Doh

Popped the engine on it's back, bracket meet sledgehammer, sledgehammer meet bracket. HUGE hit, nothing... again X20 and we got a slight movement. 5 minutes of smashing and eventually the shaft came out. the speedo had completly fallen apart. something along the line had seized the shaft up. Bought a new one, £44 picked up tomorrow.

So no, connor, spellowe and all the haterz, i'm not that special. Popcorn <--- deserved popcorn

Wait.. what?

The one time i've ever tried to have a valid input in one of your threads and you moan like a hissy bitch

I shall not bother in future lmao
Oh c'mon Chris, don't cry ThumbsUp

And I apologise, I think I saw Connor on another thread dissin' and rounded you in that, assuming usual spellowe posted Wink
Pages: 1 2