306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: Wait, what do you mean the battery's dead?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Was driving home last night when my airbag light and handbrake light both came on, so i stopped to see what was wrong. nothing seems out of place so i kept going and then further up the road they both went off and my battery light then turned on.

This means there is a problem with it charging? but i have just checked under the bonnet and the aux belt is fine.

Also, after the ignition is switched off my clock stays on and my boost gauge stays illuminated?

Any help would be nice Smile
First thing to check is output from the alternator. Grab a multimeter and put it across the battery. With the engine off you should be getting about 12v and with the engine running you should be getting about 14.4v.
Seems odd that your clock and gauge stay lit. Does anything else stay on like the radio and does the battery light stay on the dash?
sounds like a short between the perm live and switched live...possibly behind the stereo??
NiallHarper Wrote:First thing to check is output from the alternator. Grab a multimeter and put it across the battery. With the engine off you should be getting about 12v and with the engine running you should be getting about 14.4v.
Seems odd that your clock and gauge stay lit. Does anything else stay on like the radio and does the battery light stay on the dash?

The battery light is on when it is switched off yeah, will grab a multimeter in a bit
I reckon it's a buggered ignition barrel. Doesn't explain why the battery light is on while he's driving but if he tests the alternator, that could show a fault.
Could be different on cars but on my machines thers a signal cable on the alternator telling it what voltage it's putting out.. Commen for them to fall of giving u a warning.. Check if it's got a good connection and just clean up any battery related cables.
Blaze tub tom Wrote:Could be different on cars but on my machines thers a signal cable on the alternator telling it what voltage it's putting out.. Commen for them to fall of giving u a warning.. Check if it's got a good connection and just clean up any battery related cables.

Took the battery off for now and it is getting a full charge, have checked the wiring on my boost gauge and one of them felt a bit loose, could of been shorting out there.

Will find out tomorrow Big Grin
Haven't had any problems with you glow plugs have you. Had similar kind of problems and was the glow plug relay messing about. Mine was a bit more severe though, electrics cut out completely with no warning!
There is a loom that runs along the crossmember under the rad check that as that has been known to leave lights on, also fires bud
Jonny b Wrote:There is a loom that runs along the crossmember under the rad check that as that has been known to leave lights on, also fires bud

Harky Wrote:Haven't had any problems with you glow plugs have you. Had similar kind of problems and was the glow plug relay messing about. Mine was a bit more severe though, electrics cut out completely with no warning!

Cheers for the helpful comments guys Big Grin

Glow plugs were changed when i first got the car back in september and i cant see them messing up that quicky? :/
could be the Diode pack on the alternator. sounds exactly like what mine did when my alt died. the diode pack stops electricity backfeeding through the alternator to the rest of the cars systems. or at least thats what i took from a brief explaination from the AA man..

alt light was also on when car was driving too..
lh_4827 Wrote:could be the Diode pack on the alternator. sounds exactly like what mine did when my alt died. the diode pack stops electricity backfeeding through the alternator to the rest of the cars systems. or at least thats what i took from a brief explaination from the AA man..

alt light was also on when car was driving too..

Correct.. Just to add the alternator provides an a/c the diods will convert that to d/c
Jonny b Wrote:There is a loom that runs along the crossmember under the rad check that as that has been known to leave lights on, also fires bud

probably this seeing as your radiator is leaking everywhere!
Alternator is fine and battery light is off while running now, when the key is out the clock is on andi can hear my fan, any ideas?

Sent from my HD7 T9292 using Board Express
Check the loom I said about bud if it is it's a serious fire risk
I'm scared now lol where abouts is it?

Sent from my HD7 T9292 using Board Express
The loom Jonny is talking about is actually the engine fan loom.min particular, the plug. If your looking at the front of the car, the plug is on the right of the radiator and fans. It's a round plastic plug and if you unplug it, you will more than likely find corrosion on the pins. Give them all a bloody good clean up, wd40 them and plug it back in. Then cover the plug in white grease. It will look messy but will keep moisture out.